( search forums )
(Lack on) Variety in ClanWars.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Pulp
November 24, 2004, 7:14 pm
Playing a few clanwars lately I noticed that about all clanwars are : CTF, 3 vs 3, played in the common gamemode, with B2b as default map.

This combined with the knowledge that all clans have a similar playstyle in 1.2.1 , I only can conlude that playing a cw is as amusing as having a duel with a bot in a non-waypointed map.

Now, with the knowledge of above, you (as a clanplayer) are able to do two things.
a) you quit your clan
b) you take a look at the options in soldat, the ones Michal made available for us

If you chose option 'a', bye.
If you chose 'b', read on !

Let's see what options we have...

* Infiltration.
-> in advanced mode
-> in realistic mode
-> in normal mode
-> in survival mode

* TeamDeathmatch.
-> in advanced mode
-> in realistic mode
-> in normal mode
-> in survival mode

* CTF.
-> in advanced mode
-> in realistic mode
-> in normal mode
-> in survival mode

12 'default' options. So far, mostly used one in clanwars. Sounds strange isn't it ?

Now, they are a lot of other options that can be changed in these 12 basic gamemodes.

* making guns available or not
* adjusting the amount of nades
* adjusting the respawntime
* friendly fire on/off
* setting the bonus frequency (making some bonuse available or not)

As you can notice, there are tons of options, tons of ways to bring variety in clanwars ... now, maybe time has come to use a few of those options in our clanwars, to (finally) make an end at the clan-boredom, the boredom of tourneys...

Thank you for reading ;o)

( edit : forgot 'survival mode' )

ArmadonRK
November 24, 2004, 7:53 pm
I really think this redundant clan match "setup" is, frankly, boring and, well, redundant. Focusing on the many available ways to play is something I think should be focused on more. God knows the clan meetings I have planned are filled with Infiltrations, Advance Modes, Realistic Modes, and custom maps. But, until someone in my clan shows up to a practice, there's not much I can do about it, sadly.

Hektik Sniper
November 24, 2004, 7:59 pm
i would be glad to play more modes in cw's. But most people dont want to deviate from the normal :(

HellRaider
November 24, 2004, 8:26 pm
Once you make a league with these settings, I'll gladly play. But the SCTFL rules don't allow these, so I can't really play them can I?

n00bface
November 24, 2004, 8:36 pm
Yes, crappy leagues like the SCTFL seem to set the standards. I know urhos is working on a league that will blow all others away, and I am working on an advanced 3v3v3 TDM league. Although it will be extremely hard to have 9 people on for a match at a time. It's worth a shot.

Deleted User
November 24, 2004, 8:37 pm
Most people don't wanna change the way they play clanwars because they're subconciously afraid. It's been drilled into their heads that a clanwar should only be played one kind of way. If they were all to start trying new things, then it'd be like starting all over for some of them.

New Modes, means New Strategies, and while this is a good thing, most clans probably wouldn't want to go to the trouble to make up new plans for things like INF and TDM.

But I agree with your idea that clan wars have degraded, it's time to spice things up. Personally I'd love to play an Advanced Survival TDM, but that's just not happening these days.

Meandor
November 24, 2004, 8:48 pm
Things i'd like to see: TDM with 4 teams (clans, not random people), and ff on in leagues.
Also, some rules i wrote for a league that doesn't exist: www.turrino.it/public/GTL.doc

Pulp
November 24, 2004, 9:06 pm
Good to see there are some clanplayers that agree with me ... I can only encourage the idea of making tournaments with alternative gamemodes etc...

grand_diablo
November 24, 2004, 10:02 pm
Well, Ive never been a friend of that default map concept, also that the winner chooses the next map is kinda boring. The ESL has adapted to the new rules by counting maps, raising caplimit to 10 and lowering the time to 10 minutes. But one thing is different, and makes it's concept better (imho): Each team chooses a map, and the opponent has the choice of the side on it. Eventhough its possible, that one map is played twice then (because you dont see which map your opponent choice before you choose yours - BUT you can workaround by contacting your opponent and asking :p), its still better than the default map concept. Actually, Im really getting fed up with B2b.

And since most of the new default maps suck imho and the leagues are all quite the same, Im also planning a little tournament.
3on3 ctf only with special custom maps designed for low-space action ;)

Chakra
November 24, 2004, 10:08 pm
I'm inclined to agree. Clan wars are set like a stick in the mud when it comes to specific settings and such. Rarely will you have a clan war with FF, custom maps, survival, weapons disabled, or with other unique features and modes.

..problem is, most of the leagues in soldat rarely get off the ground. Why? well, perhaps it's because they've all been mostly the same: CTF 3v3 rumbles.

Icarius
November 24, 2004, 10:22 pm
Let it be known that you guys don't have to play these same [IMAGE]'s that you're always playing. This thread proves that a number of us are quiet sick of the same formula already.

#soldat.forum is there, ask people for interesting game types and make parties and [IMAGE]. Stop this needless whining and get the ball rolling. I'm more than gung ho for any game type. Bring on the fun.

Alamo
November 24, 2004, 10:27 pm
The whole clan business is pointless. Just keep freelancing. Loads of fun for everyone :)

grand_diablo
November 24, 2004, 10:38 pm
Its definitely not pointless. What really is pointless, is using the same settings for everything, just like TNL/SCTFL settings are being played in Friendly Wars too...

Alamo, don't forget, in the end, it are the clans that make a game persist.

Alamo
November 24, 2004, 10:45 pm
If you say so... I'm just gonna leave the clanning to you. I will have my fun ;) Thanks for making the game persist guys :) I actually just said that because I myself can choose whatever I want to play as long as there is a server. And i can play whenever I want and and and. My short time in a clan was... blerg ;)

KnOt
November 24, 2004, 11:01 pm
I want an inf and a TDM league.. YES I WANT

xWoLxShiver
November 25, 2004, 2:04 am
infiltration strats? pfft. anyways, sounds like a good idea, but besides tnl and sctfl, what other active leagues are there? if sctfl sets the standards, which noone likes, someone should put in an effort or should have already done so to make a new one, as there have been 5 sctfls....i think we should credit the current league owners of both major leagues and thank them for even maintaining leagues, for which we have available to us here and now so that we may comment on them and improve on their basis....

Teh Panda
November 25, 2004, 5:03 pm
I agree with this one. I played just realistic mode when i was not in any clan when 1.2 came out. I searched for realclan for longtime and other clans behaved like theyre somekind of "lower" clans. Now i hardly see any realclans, and why all different modes go to different clans? There is "normal" clans and "realistic" clans. Same with INF. I would like to see more "normal" clans playing with different modes. Now Soldat is kinda half used =/.

Chakra
November 26, 2004, 12:47 am
Alot of non-real mode players (ie: everyone) suck in real mode, i've witnessed. That's why they don't play it.

Kind of odd really, when so many players consider themselves rather good, they forego what the manual describes as "a mode for advanced players." And real mode is really an entirely different vibe that opens your senses more. You turn the music off and 'listen' for your enemy, heightening your awareness as you know where your enemy is without looking. It's an indescribable sensation in terms of gameplay....

Unfortunately your average - or even your advanced player - rushes in, ignoring the fact that he can be taken down with just a scraping of damage he'd take in non-real. A real mode tournement would bring out the true veterans in soldat (at least, maybe those not using ruger ¬_¬ ) if they weren't so afraid to wander from what they know.

Element_101
November 26, 2004, 1:28 am
Agreeed, More Varitety In Clan War Matchs Needed.

DeMonIc
November 26, 2004, 9:42 am
SS, UAG, BC dyed..I don't no any other real clans.As for the dedicated servers..SS had a lot running, and back when I joined the forums, there was Askur's Smoke and Mirrors.God, I miss real mode :'[

LazehBoi
November 26, 2004, 12:12 pm
I would be in a clan if it wasn't for the only playing CTF thing. If I was in a clan, I would play TDM and INF, nothing else. INF clan wars would be really really fun, and interesting.

Hanayo
November 26, 2004, 12:50 pm
ive been a big fan of realmode and was member of BC and SS. But since noone was interested in it (just a few clans and no league!!!!) i left those clans and started freelancing and then turned to normal mode.

well, nowadays i suck in realmode, but if there would be a league i would be interested - and clans like SS/BC/UAG/HAC would come back maybe and show how skilled they are (or not ;o).
(i personally think there is no way back - the realmode scene is dead :( )