( search forums )
Reducing Ping?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
T-Money
November 28, 2004, 12:03 am
My ping is around 150-200 most of the time, butsometimes it gets up to about 300. I know that isn't really high, but it makes me lag enough to deplete my playing ability, and it gets me kicked on good servers like Optik's server and some others whose names I have forgotten. Other than getting a new internet connection (I have DSL),is there any way for me to cut my ping down?

EDIT: Wrong forum, mods please move this to whatever topic is appropriate.

Jap_man
November 28, 2004, 12:15 am
You might want to stop/pause all programs that are downloading something.
That usually helps.

Skate4Razors
November 28, 2004, 12:22 am
Music, I think, makes it WAY slow... I dunno...

T-Money
November 28, 2004, 12:23 am
Eh...I don't play music or any other programs while playing sold hat....thanks for the suggestions tho.

.dragonfire
November 28, 2004, 1:15 am
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Top one: TCP Optimizer.
I used this with my cable modem and I had like 66 ping normally, now I have 33.

I know it's not really needed for cable modems too much. 56kers should use it though. My buddy Transit is on Dialup at the moment and is stuck with 300 or so ping. I gave him this program and he has about 50 ping less on average now. I reccomend it.

To use it, download it and open. Click "Dial Up" (Or whatever you are on) in the top left corner. Then click "Optimal Settings" in the bottom right corner, and Apply changes.

Restart. You should see a big difference.

.dragonfire
November 28, 2004, 1:19 am
Also, http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ is a free, effective Trojan and backdoor scanner. It will remove or step you through removing any viruses that would slow down your connection, since all Trojans are always sending information out through your connection.
This virus scan has won numerous awards, best out there right now.

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 1:25 am
I'd like to say thanks dragonfire...I've been looking for any soltion I can to lower ping, and I'll try these out and see if they help.

DT
November 28, 2004, 9:25 am
i have Dsl i get 200... i had dial up before and i had only 300... kinda wierd...

Alamo
November 28, 2004, 1:40 pm
This is an obvious suggestion, but you should try to only join servers from your region... pings are lower then :)

Drama
November 29, 2004, 2:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by .dragonfirehttp://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Top one: TCP Optimizer.
I used this with my cable modem and I had like 66 ping normally, now I have 33.

I know it's not really needed for cable modems too much. 56kers should use it though. My buddy Transit is on Dialup at the moment and is stuck with 300 or so ping. I gave him this program and he has about 50 ping less on average now. I reccomend it.

To use it, download it and open. Click "Dial Up" (Or whatever you are on) in the top left corner. Then click "Optimal Settings" in the bottom right corner, and Apply changes.

Restart. You should see a big difference.

Soldat is UDP tbh..

Coey_89
November 29, 2004, 9:23 pm
I think i have dial up and my ping started out as 100