( search forums )
ctf_Great_Divide 1.1 (Download the new one!)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 5:50 am
Well, this is the first release for this map...I'm still tinkering with some of the details, but I figured I should put it out there since it's been so damn long since I posted the priginal screenies. Didn't take long to make, I just worked on it here and there between schoolwork. Here's the breakdown:

* CTF map (Duh)
* Best with 8-10 players or more.
* No custom scenery
* Fully Waypointed

Updates: Fixed some waypoint bugs, smoothed polys, and changed the background color.

The overview: (Updated!)

[IMAGE]

Some screenies:

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

And the link for the download (make sure to turn off your pop up blocker):
http://www.soldatworld.com/fileupload/store/ctf_Great_Divide1.1.zip

Feedback and constructive criticism welcome. Enjoy!

Skate4Razors
November 28, 2004, 6:01 am
I would like an overview, but by the looks of it, it is very good. Good job on it, I'll download when I get home. :)

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 6:05 am
D'oh...I knew I forgot something. I'll toss it up there. It might be the old overview, but the only thing to change has been some of the color/shading. Thanks, lol.

Fangus Deef
November 28, 2004, 6:07 am
hey, it's that raging bull mod...XD map looks amature-ish

BMF
November 28, 2004, 6:15 am
looks like an over sized uterus

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 6:20 am
Yes, that's the general look I was going for :/ And be wittier than to reuse my old comments next time BMF ;). And yes...if it looks "amature-ish" it's because it's the fourth map I've released on here, not to mention it's from months ago and dusty..

T-Money
November 28, 2004, 7:21 am
I love it.

*d/l*

10/10 because it rocks.

Sprocket
November 28, 2004, 10:02 am
80\10

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 10:48 am
Thanks for the feedback :) I noticed a problem with the waypointing..the bots can move a little funky in the blue base..but I'll fix that soon enough. Something for a re-release of this map in the near future.

BMF
November 28, 2004, 4:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistYes, that's the general look I was going for :/ And be wittier than to reuse my old comments next time BMF ;). And yes...if it looks "amature-ish" it's because it's the fourth map I've released on here, not to mention it's from months ago and dusty..

what the [IMAGE] are you talking about. Your map looks like a uterus and I told that to you. I dont read your comments, I dont even read your posts. You want feedback? You got it. You dont like it? Not my problem.

What the [IMAGE]??!

Cookie.
November 28, 2004, 7:37 pm
"what the are you talking about. Your map looks like a uterus and I told that to you."
The similarities are striking :O lol!
but its kinda nice i like it gj minus the whole uterus thing.,.

BMF
November 28, 2004, 8:25 pm
The map is good. It might be too big tho. You need a huge jet for it

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 8:48 pm
Jah...there should be plenty of jet on there, but if not I could always add a little more. And relax BMF...you'll blow a blood vessel like that. I happened to call someone elses map a giant uterus fairly recently ;) That's the only reason I said that, lmao...I'm not "criticizing your feedback". Thanks for the responces everyone.

Skate4Razors
November 28, 2004, 9:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMFThe map is good. It might be too big tho. You need a huge jet for it

Bigness = Greatness

Jaz
November 28, 2004, 9:14 pm
How do you make an overview?

Michal
November 28, 2004, 9:14 pm
Nice layout, shading, and scenery placement. Awful sky colors. Try something darker, more suitable to rainy weather. And it's a bit jumpy, especially annoying at the flag polys. Otherwise pretty good.

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 10:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by JazHow do you make an overview?

It's easy :) I get mine by zooming out in the map maker, and hitting the "Print screen" button on my keyboard. After that I just open up a program like paint, look under edit and hit paste, crop the section I want and save it in .jpeg form.

quote:Originally posted by MichalNice layout, shading, and scenery placement. Awful sky colors. Try something darker, more suitable to rainy weather. And it's a bit jumpy, especially annoying at the flag polys. Otherwise pretty good.

I agree...actually, if you'll look at the second screenshot the background color is better, and more than likely what I'll end up changing it to in a re-release. Not quite sure why I changed it as such..ah well. I'll look over the areas around the flag polys :). Thanks again.

Rambo_6
November 28, 2004, 10:23 pm
Yeh, your background it too whitish at bottom, good job though. 7/10 ^ - ^

Reminds me of Voland...

BMF
November 28, 2004, 10:53 pm
Ok, after actually looking into it. The map is relatively big, but it is also relatively open. The top tunnels are easily accessible, but they can also be easily blocked. The bottom part is very open, which would generally cause a voland-type melee. But that hanging thing in the middle closes it up a bit, so its not going to be so hectic. It looks balanced, not too slow, not too hectic.

The Geologist
November 28, 2004, 11:22 pm
Thanks Rambo and BMF :) I'll re-release the map later this evening with a better background, reworked bot waypoints, and some smoother polys around the flag areas. If anyone likes the map now, feel free to download and things should be even better.

mipit
November 28, 2004, 11:44 pm
Looks awsome! *d/l*

Michal
November 29, 2004, 9:02 pm
Much better now, I give it 9.5/10 :)

Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 5:20 am
It's a good design, but for some reason I don't have the marais texture (odd, I was using it only recently). Anyhoo, if someone wants to be a pal and send it to me...

As for the design, It's hooooooooodge! The top trail alone took me forever to cross, ugh! Oh well, I like it.

Droopy
December 4, 2004, 9:07 am
As said before it IS freagin HUGE. But when I think of it as a GIANT battleground with lots of room to fly and fight I can see it as a good map. You've choosen the right texture in my opinion. The shading is simple but seeing as the map isnt so complicated and it's a normal CTF it's perfect. The map is kinda plane though. You didnt use so much scenery, but if you meant to make it so it's ok.

Grade: 7/10
Good work

The Geologist
December 4, 2004, 10:28 am
quote:Originally posted by DroopyAs said before it IS freagin HUGE. But when I think of it as a GIANT battleground with lots of room to fly and fight I can see it as a good map. You've choosen the right texture in my opinion. The shading is simple but seeing as the map isnt so complicated and it's a normal CTF it's perfect. The map is kinda plane though. You didnt use so much scenery, but if you meant to make it so it's ok.

Grade: 7/10
Good work

lol..I hit the scenery limit. Couldn't put any more in. :)

Marine
December 4, 2004, 5:07 pm
Thats great! Its huuuuuge!

Droopy
December 4, 2004, 8:04 pm
quote:
lol..I hit the scenery limit. Couldn't put any more in. :)

I see..

diediedie119
December 4, 2004, 10:31 pm
nice map its so cool
but HUGE
grade:9.99999/10

Zeppelin_Chile
December 8, 2004, 8:44 pm
good map

Indiana Jones
March 13, 2005, 6:39 pm
Very huge, I will have some trouble locating enemies with low # of players. But then it might be fun... On the hunt now...(wtf?)

grand_diablo
March 13, 2005, 6:59 pm
rather old topic, please comment on newer maps (~2-3 weeks max.) only, except there is a really urgent reason or map update.

Darkspirit
March 14, 2005, 1:23 am
Nice shading;
Maybe change team base colors (red/blue) and add some colours at certain places (something useful for that is Paintcolor in the MapMakerPlus);
Great sceneries placement;
Nice background;
A little bit too huge;

MARK: 90%

Deleted User
March 14, 2005, 1:54 am
quote:Originally posted by BMFlooks like an over sized uterus

LOL...anyway nice job 10/10
*d/l...d/l*