( search forums )
SML + NAM --> Soldat Mappers Coalition
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
FliesLikeABrick
November 28, 2004, 6:10 pm
After the SML debacle arising from Elephtant Hunter's thread, Soulsnipa+SML, bad combination, it ended up that SML was left in the hands of Elephant Hunter and I, and SoulSnipa was out on his own.

Last night I learned that Soul was startion his own mappers group, NAM(New Age Mappers). I talked to him, and had a friendly conversation. He had said that more or less, the only people in the Soldat community who appreciated SML were its' members, and some other random people who liked its' maps. SoulSnipa had many of the members from SML going to NAM, the goal of which was to be a mapping group where there were not group projects, but moreso it was going to be a close-knit group who could help eachother out, discuss, and help introduce newbs to the world of mapping.

I agreed with him that the league was not in high demand and was essentially dead anyway, and my main goal had been to save the site, which I valued as a large resource. We continued talking and an affiliation formed. Later that night I talked to Elephant Hunter and Soulsnipa, and we came to a common ground to realize that it was not worth forming a secon group to do this, we should just reform SML into a more effective mappers group, and change the way things are done, in order to avoid another mess like we had this week.

SML is now on the road to being reformed with the ideas of NAM to form the Soldat Mappers Coalition. There will be a group of leading members, who are picked by a combination of how many maps they have released and their rating by the general public. We have all known that the SML site has become a very good mappers resource, and we are going to change it and improve it to fit exactly what we need. The goal of SMC is to provied everyone with a chance to interact with others on a medium built exclusively for mapping. The more quality maps that a member releases, the higher up they move on the SMC site, to becoming one of the community leaders, those who others will look to for help with their maps and mapping problems.

SMC will be able to provide more helping power than the old league could, and it will provide everyone with common goals in making maps.

More information will be available on these forums as SMC nears completion, please watch and await the coming of SMC.

Deleted User
November 28, 2004, 6:12 pm
Your post is so inspiring.

You have my support, FliesLikeABrick!

Elephant_Hunter
November 28, 2004, 7:23 pm
We'll be working to bring SMC soon. Any suggestions, ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Droopy
November 28, 2004, 8:13 pm
I dont get it. SML will now be called SMC or what?

Elephant_Hunter
November 28, 2004, 8:39 pm
Yeah, basically.

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 28, 2004, 9:36 pm
Yay, finally a change of names. I've always been bothered by how SML sounds like Small, Medium, and Large :P

Deleted User
November 28, 2004, 10:28 pm
I think a system for reviewers would be awesome.

If you've ever been to http://www.vgmix.com/ then you know what I mean. A group of people could review each map, each posting their own thoughts and ideas and recommendations/suggestions to the author, and give it a score. That way, users could browse through the maps by their rating (say, x/10 or x/100) and quickly find what's "hot".

FliesLikeABrick
November 28, 2004, 10:39 pm
we already have a reviewing system.. a couple months ago I added the rating system, and a comment system has also been incorporated into the site :-p

Deleted User
November 29, 2004, 3:13 am
I meant like, a panel of judges who can give in-depth reviews of the maps. Sort of like a level or "standard" that map-makers should strive for.

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2004, 3:50 am
Would you like to become one , or are you just suggesting :P

Deleted User
November 29, 2004, 4:17 am
I think Lapis's idea is solid, there can be a few respected members be judges, this would be very interesting im sure. just like reviews in gaming sites such as ign.

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2004, 4:22 am
forums are up at this temporary link:

http://sml.u13.net/phpbb2

Fangus Deef
November 29, 2004, 5:11 am
sweet. maybe i should start releasing my maps, 'sted of deletin them

Droopy
November 29, 2004, 12:12 pm
Luner... Now it will be Small Medium Cock

Question: IC still exists right?

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 29, 2004, 9:06 pm
Haha Droopy,we're surely part of the SMC indeed...

I dunno, the new system might need to be smoothed out and refined to make it work, so I dunno if IC is still gonna be in effect...maybe an IC group that watches over the site, since they have proven themselves with their leet mapping skills?

FliesLikeABrick
November 30, 2004, 1:11 am
i don't believe IC will exist anymore, but i will convers with my cohorts. we are still in the process of doing all of this, so wait and see :-D

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 30, 2004, 2:33 am
Maybe not an permanent IC, but more like an Arch Mapper group (Maybe around 5 - 10 ppl), which helps out the new "Mappers in training". If an AM (Arch Mapper) get complaints or being inactive, the other members can vote to impeach him/her of the position. But still, my idea is not completely smoothed out, so just take this idea as a reference. Elephant and Flies, you can IM me about this, I'll explain in more detail about what I'm thinking.

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2004, 4:34 am
Otherwise known as Senior Mappers.

FliesLikeABrick
November 30, 2004, 5:29 am
yeah, they are the base of the SMC community.