( search forums )
Shadows in bullettime effect.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
November 29, 2004, 8:35 pm
I didn't find words to it, so i made a screenshot with mapmaker and paint:
[IMAGE]
Make shadows to bullettime effect. (it can be smaller)
(It can be a particle [Config->Performance->Particles on screen->Maximum]
(i know... I am stupid...))

Liber_Lupus
November 29, 2004, 8:46 pm
looks ugly, im quite satisifed with the bullettime as it is now.

Alamo
November 29, 2004, 9:22 pm
Ooooh :) I like the looks of it... That's quite cool. I don't know about it in action though...

Deleted User
November 29, 2004, 9:31 pm
I like the look of it too. I think the technical term of it is an "after-image" effect.

The Geologist
November 29, 2004, 9:36 pm
Meh...looks good, no doubt..but in play it'd be another issue. Personally, I don't think it'd be good in game.

Fangus Deef
November 29, 2004, 9:54 pm
that's what you see if you do acid for 10 years. my father sees that [IMAGE] at dusk and dawn. he's funny to watch

i dont like it in soldat. bullet time doesnt last long enough anyway.

ddzNappy84
November 29, 2004, 11:00 pm
Not a great idea, if you think of it, it could lag older computers, at the same time you can just disable it and stuff, but never-the-less, I think it may get cluttered, if you have too many people on one screen or in one area, it can get a bit messy and stuff :O

die nadel
November 29, 2004, 11:45 pm
yeah i don't think that it'd work so well. too much lag and too little benefit.

dr dragon
November 30, 2004, 12:01 am
Niiice! I like it!

DT
November 30, 2004, 2:34 am
*gets dizzy*
gah

Alamo
November 30, 2004, 7:20 am
Why should it lag or increase ping? I guess it would be like the blood effects and other effects in the game. They just happen on your computer and hence do not create any lag. Maybe they could slow down your comp a little but please... few people have such a slow machine. And it could be an option (yay!)...

Sprocket
November 30, 2004, 8:43 am
that would be really cool!
pretty hard to make though :(

DeMonIc
November 30, 2004, 2:47 pm
by the name of Rofflesaurus, I'd like to see that ingame ;]

ynnePmoT
November 30, 2004, 3:15 pm
add that.. = more lag

DT
November 30, 2004, 3:59 pm
i would be up for it if it didn't create lag... but then again it is slowwww time so....
but i don't know... check with someone who knows that crap. cuz i don't

b00stA
November 30, 2004, 4:16 pm
Could you guys just stop posting "omg diz wud lag it sux!"

It would not create any network lag at all. It might push your frame rate down while in bullet time, but then again, it would only be an option.

Boer
November 30, 2004, 6:05 pm
It wont create extra network lag coz its a rendering thing? I think it wont be as hard to make, think of it in terms of sound. Reverb is like the blur thats already in the game, and the picture WS shows is like ECHO.

ynnePmoT
November 30, 2004, 6:45 pm
wouldnt create lag? ^^ thats a first.
look.. the server sends packets to each player, which soldat decodes and uses to display the game,map,info..
so..
the soldier position would change a lot in that "effect" which would cause the server to send more packages.. = lag
get it?
+ why add new stuff (like chainsaw,law,stat guns...) when the net code is [IMAGE]y the way it is.. new stuff only cause more bugs and more lag.
should be like 1.05b with todays netcode and some features..
then it would be hella playable on any server and not that ppl would need a 100mbit server for a good 5on5 .. ffs, its a 10mb game ^^

damnnation
November 30, 2004, 6:54 pm
nooooo i don't like this idea

BManx2000
November 30, 2004, 7:42 pm
Tompenny, I would advise you to stfu as you obviously don't know what you're talking about. There would be no more packets sent than before. Also none of the stuff you mentioned creates any more lag either.

ynnePmoT
November 30, 2004, 9:16 pm
^^ sure.. thats why you see 500ping people move 3cm/1s eh? no packages at all.. ^^ none.. niente.. ffs.. i wont even argue as you dont know how internet works.

SERIAL KILLeR
November 30, 2004, 10:17 pm
I like this idea

quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTwouldnt create lag? ^^ thats a first.
look.. the server sends packets to each player, which soldat decodes and uses to display the game,map,info..
so..
the soldier position would change a lot in that "effect" which would cause the server to send more packages.. = lag
get it?
+ why add new stuff (like chainsaw,law,stat guns...) when the net code is [IMAGE]y the way it is.. new stuff only cause more bugs and more lag.
should be like 1.05b with todays netcode and some features..
then it would be hella playable on any server and not that ppl would need a 100mbit server for a good 5on5 .. ffs, its a 10mb game ^^

Ur saying the position of the player changes more.
How is this possible??? It wouldnt change a thing.

If this would be added it would be implemented on the client side so nothing would change in the network code.

explanation:
when bullet time starts every one second(for example) soldat will remember the soldiers position and place a "copy" of the player and gradualy increase the tranparency thats all and so

It could lower the fps quite a lot when there are a lot of ppl on the screen (as bullet time only works when everyone is on the screen) on small maps with a lot of ppl.

n00bface
November 30, 2004, 10:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoT^^ sure.. thats why you see 500ping people move 3cm/1s eh? no packages at all.. ^^ none.. niente.. ffs.. i wont even argue as you dont know how internet works.

and you don't know how soldat works. Do you think the server sends packets to each player when he loses a little blood, giving the position of the blood falling for everyone? no. It sends the aim of the gun and the mouse click of the oponent shooting at you. it is then up to your computer to figure out where the bullet is moving to you, and your computer is what makes the gore. there are no packets dictating where the blood is going, where the bullets are on your screen - that is your computer rendering. by adding slowmotion effect, it would gather the already sent navigation packets and just leave a trail affect - no addition packets required.

That said, this would lag framerate...at least with DirectX.

Edit: DT, do you see this [IMAGE] edit function that I'm using? It brings you up to a screen where you can change a previous post. I used it now because what I am saying is irrelevant to the other posts and I can work it into an on topic post and you will notice it. I think you should use this function as well. You have made 3 posts reguarding posts before your first, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was spamming. You can use this function to combine posts as well. It makes you seem like more of an intellectual and less of a spammer.

DT
November 30, 2004, 11:04 pm
if you complain about video lag then get a better video card. they are expensive though... and my computer is crappy itsself...

ynnePmoT
December 1, 2004, 6:42 am
i saw soldat lag like hell on a P4 3.2 1gb ram and Radeon 9600pro
so I still say.. that youre plain dumb. still.. think on it this way..
if what you say is true (which isnt).. then there wouldnt be so many 500,600 avr. ping server.. or would they? maybe the reason for high pings are peoples computers.. hell yea! ^^ dont be so smart man.. but hey, your nick suits you :*

frogboy
December 1, 2004, 7:14 am
quote: i saw soldat lag like hell on a P4 3.2 1gb ram and Radeon 9600pro
Got adware? My computer is a P4 3.0ghz with 256mb RAM and a crappy old GeForce 4 MX. I experience no FPS lag whatsoever, any lag I get is from my internet connection.
quote: then there wouldnt be so many 500,600 avr. ping server
I only saw 5 servers with a 500ms ping when I checked a few minutes ago. That compares to 9 servers with a below 200ms ping. And I'm in Australia, so there are barely any low ping servers for me...
quote:maybe the reason for high pings are peoples computers
Yes, it is. More specifically, their internet capabilities. A 56k connection will suffer higher pings than a broadband connection due to the quality of the connection.

ynnePmoT
December 1, 2004, 11:29 am
ha.. frogboy.. ^^
my comp = 2.2 AMD 512ddr400mhz and a [IMAGE]y 9200 radeon
lags all the same on a good comp or on a [IMAGE]y one..
and yes.. i have ad-aware* (prog.)
still, adware running in the background, wont lag your comp that much as like a virus scan..

LazehBoi
December 1, 2004, 12:14 pm
quote:[i]Originally posted by ynnePmoT
i saw soldat lag like hell on a P4 3.2 1gb ram and Radeon 9600pro
if what you say is true (which isnt).. then there wouldnt be so many 500,600 avr. ping server.. or would they? maybe the reason for high pings are peoples computers..

My 2.6GHz, 256DDR laptop with a 7200 Radeon didn't lag at all, TomPenny, and Ad-Aware doesn't get rid of everything.
I don't know much about packets, but I do know that this wouldn't create lag. It wouldn't send the packets because it wouldn't make a difference, because they can not be physically changed in any way by another computer.

ynnePmoT
December 1, 2004, 2:02 pm
ever played on a euro server?.. you probobly didnt..

Boer
December 1, 2004, 2:46 pm
Why does my PC lag when in a open aire map , fire minigun upwards, and as it gets to 10 rounds(90 in air) it goes to 9 fps? normally thats 70 FPs. Long ago(2years) I could play soldat on a 233mhz, now on a 2ghz it still lags sometimes.

DeMonIc
December 1, 2004, 2:53 pm
And what's the diffence between an aussie and an euro server?

b00stA
December 1, 2004, 3:11 pm
Tompenny, would you shut up if Michal posted in here?

By the way, I hate it when someone spreads his superficial knowledge.

Svirin Kerath
December 1, 2004, 10:03 pm
.......so! about those "shadows"!!

>>

or have you decided to make this a "ping blah blah blah packets blah blah" thread? i'm sure you can take it to another forum, where it might be more.... relevant?

about the idea... it's pretty cool in theory, but if you have a lot of people playing, it'd get really confusing, and judging from the number of new BT maps made, intended for mobs of people playing at one time, "Outlook does not look good". you'd have little soldats overlapping all over, creating a halucinagenic mish-mash of color, sound, and nausea. X(

eesahe
December 1, 2004, 10:21 pm
Well, the motion blur is an OK idea, but it would take Michal a lot of time to do (maybe not, if he would get excited about it :P) and is such a small improvement. There are a thousand better ideas to do, but still, the idea itself is allright :]

DT
December 2, 2004, 12:52 am
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTi saw soldat lag like hell on a P4 3.2 1gb ram and Radeon 9600pro
if what you say is true (which isnt).. then there wouldnt be so many 500,600 avr. ping server.. or would they? maybe the reason for high pings are peoples computers.. hell yea! ^^ dont be so smart man.. but hey, your nick suits you :*

of course its going to lag moron you could have the best video card in the world and thier would still be a way to make it lag (5 people shooting in the air with minigun)

video lag has nothing to do with connection lag.You need to go back to tech school
T1's are best for hosting and dsl for joining.

n00bface
December 2, 2004, 3:11 am
TomPenny, everything I know about soldat is from what I saw Michal say himself. I know how it is networked, I know how effects are done. Either you are not very good at understanding (and speaking) English, or you have a problem(s) learning simple stuff. People get 600 ping because they have slower connections, or are playing on a slower server. Gore is not calculated by the server to send to all the players, there is no argument there. If that was true, which it is not, I'm sure Michal would be trying to change that. It is not resourceful to network applications like that, and Michal would be a moron in doing so. But I know for a fact that Michal is not a moron, therefor I also know that he was being resourceful when he was scripting the netcode. Ok? Ok!

Oh, Edit: Apparently you are bad at understanding english. There is still connection lag, I said you're still getting packets of people pressing their mouse buttons so your computer is able to calculate where the bullet is going etc. Of course connection plays a f*cking role in the game. I'm talking about video lag.

Damn, I'm trying to explain this as well and friendly as possible, but it's like trying to explain war to a frikkin 2 year old.

...another edit, trying to explain this has made me feel ill. I've never had to deal with someone so stubborn. Re-read my first post, trying your best to understand the english, ja?

ynnePmoT
December 2, 2004, 1:12 pm
michal knows nothing.. thats for sure.
so what he says would probobly be a bunch of lies..
and no.. i wouldnt shut up.. so what if he made the game?
its still f00king pathetic seeing him listen to the forum tards which have no clue about anything.
now look what came out of doing so.. yet another n00bie version so you can "own" more people.. ever though of it in this way?
i think not! youre to ego centered to see the truth which is infront of you.

DeMonIc
December 2, 2004, 1:47 pm
If Michal knows nothing, why do you play soldat?
He made the game=>he made the netcode => he knows how it works.

Will
December 2, 2004, 2:05 pm
ROFL

e.g.

"hello, i am michal, i know nothing even though i created the best 2d online shooter ever"

bucky_brad
December 2, 2004, 3:28 pm
tompenny, you are a [IMAGE]ing idiot.

ynnePmoT
December 2, 2004, 4:01 pm
a bunch of ass lickers are you eh.. still the same thingy running here on the forums.

DeMonIc
December 2, 2004, 4:47 pm
Okay, so you're denser than I had tought.
You started talkin about the netcode, which was complete bs, but you can't admit you were wrong, so now you're calling people names.You're so cool >:P
You know absolutely nothing about the beta tests, so I think you should shut up.This is pointless.
Michal made a great game, and he is makin it for the players, not for himself, because he is not a selfish asshole.That's why he listens to us forum tards.
1.2.1 did came out before we could properly measure how the bink effects every weapon, and how it makes autos very powerful.Weapon balance is still better than it was in the last version, and we have a lot of friggin cool things, like ricochet, and auto map download.Let me guess..you use M79 right? =_=

ynnePmoT
December 2, 2004, 4:51 pm
hah... m79 :D
im a barretard. i always were, and always will be..
+ now yourself is metioning stuff beside the topic.. ^^
u ppl dont know what your talking about.

Boer
December 2, 2004, 6:26 pm
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoT
u ppl dont know what your talking about.

WOW do you?

Deleted User
December 2, 2004, 6:37 pm
No, he really doesn't.

BManx2000
December 2, 2004, 7:45 pm
Let's ban him again!

Deleted User
December 2, 2004, 8:02 pm
who? ynnePmoT?

KeFear
December 2, 2004, 8:59 pm
quote:+ now yourself is metioning stuff beside the topic.. ^^

And you are not? :D This topic is about " Shadows in bullettime effect."
the whole bull[IMAGE] you posted is offtopic.

ynnePmoT
December 3, 2004, 6:37 am
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTadd that.. = more lag

That was my first post.. then you started crying.. (like always)..
and yes.. you can ban me again i dont care actually.
if you want to prove yourself that you have more "power" on a forum full of n00bs.. go ahead. but in reality you will come out just like an ordinary looser.
So, you have my blessing for banning me. :*
I guess, youre just another penny-hate-supporter that feels threatend by something you cant explain/have. What it is, i wont tell. But I'll tell you this my lad.. the truth to things is infront of you, its just a matter of personality on how you read it.
good bye and thanks for all the shoes.
btw B..something ManX n00b.. youre real mother is still a virgin.

LazehBoi
December 3, 2004, 8:53 am
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTyoure real mother is still a virgin.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-wait, that isn't funny.

quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoT ever played on a euro server?.. you probobly didnt..

Like you would know... And yes, I have, the distance is too far apart for Australians to play with Europeans comfortably.

quote:Another quote by ynnePmoT michal knows nothing.. thats for sure.

Another 'fact' pulled out of your arse, eh? I believe you're the self centered stubborn one here, turned from a proper debate into flame wars, because you were proved wrong. GJ.

frogboy
December 3, 2004, 9:03 am
Wait, are you saying he's Jesus or something?

BManx2000
December 3, 2004, 2:51 pm
Oh no, I've been found out!
*quickly ascends to heaven in a pool of light*

kkazican
December 3, 2004, 8:31 pm
I like it. It sounds like a nice little effect even if bullet time is short. Everything slows down so why would it cause more lag? It would be a nice little feature but I don't htink Mike should put it at the top of his To-Do list.

Deleted User
December 3, 2004, 8:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by kkazican
but I don't htink Mike should put it at the top of his To-Do list.
:D I know. It's just a little particle

michal knows nothing.. thats for sure.

You are an ASS! If you think that Michal knows nothing go and play CS you F**ing mother****er ASS!

I'm totally agreed with BManx2000! Ban TomPenny again

Svirin Kerath
December 3, 2004, 9:31 pm
ay ay ay.

this is a thread is about "improving" bullet time. not about pings, and not about Penny.
Penny had his belief.
everyone ganged up on him.
he held out for a while, but felt threatened.
he starts bad-mouthing
his opponents start bad-mouthing
everyone starts shouting at him
he gets defensive and acts like a jerk
everyone else wants him banned more
he might get banned, even though everyone was equally harsh.
justice isn't served

let's quckly change the subject BACK TO THE SUBJECT. this is not a bash board. there's a forum for that, just scroll down a bit. you can even make fun of him behind his back there, prolly. just for goodness sake, leave him and the frickin' suggestion alone, unless you plan to actually give an opinion on it! is he actually harrassing someone? is he threatening anyone? no! he's being a prick. but that has nothing to do with bullet time, and has nothing to do with Soldat.

-Claw-
December 3, 2004, 10:19 pm
looks nice..

KeFear
December 4, 2004, 12:28 am
I guess, youre just another penny-hate-supporter that feels threatend by something you cant explain/have. What it is, i wont tell. But I'll tell you this my lad.. the truth to things is infront of you, its just a matter of personality on how you read it.

Oh man.. you are just too self-confident, aren't you? Of course, everyone else i swrong, but you. You should have some major thinking to do, man. This is just an advice. You are making an asshole of yourself, don't you see?! You must be a total idiot if not.... and i think thats not ONLY my opinion. keep this in mind!

DeMonIc
December 4, 2004, 10:33 am
He is not worthy of being banned :P

Anyway
BACK ON SUBJECT
I still think this is a good idea.

AerialAssault
December 4, 2004, 12:35 pm
*thumbs up* the idea would be cool.