( search forums )
dm_snow field (Final update before release)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
The Geologist
November 29, 2004, 10:27 pm
I figured that, with the approach of the snow, it'd be fun to make a winter/snow type map. Here is a very, very rough screenie of the first outlines of the map. Basically, it consists of snow/ice sections on top of ground and other sections. The scenery (columns) creates sections of the map free of snow, almost like a shelter from the storm. The map will definately grow in size, but it will follow this trend. Any feedback is welcome.

Update: This is it...the final layout for the map. I tried putting in a little section for bullet time, but it really didn't work with the flow of the map...I think you can agree there is a definate feel to this map, no? As for the ice (dragons suggestion)...I'll admit, I'm still fairly new to mapping, and I didn't want to include anything like that until I'm a little more skilled with it. It may sound lame, but I really want these maps to kick ass. So I apologize if I let anyone down by not including those. I extended the lowest platform to give things a sort of "base", even though you will be able to slip off the edge of the map. Not a large jet map, it's meant for DM, ranbo, etc...close combat. This map will support DM, rambo, team match, and point match. :)

Here's the new overview:

[IMAGE]

dr dragon
November 29, 2004, 11:57 pm
Good start Geologist!
I suggest you get a blank scenery, make an ice filled section with water, a.k.a. that blank scenery in grey or sumthin' and if you fall a certain distance, you die! If you do that, make the water transparent and in front of all.Keep up the good work!

Fangus Deef
November 30, 2004, 12:01 am
my beef: how the hell would those tiny pillars hold up that much snow?

The Geologist
November 30, 2004, 12:04 am
This is the first version I made in about 10 minutes..more pillars can be added for you wise asses :P. Actually, I was going to go back and make the "supports" for the snow a little more architecturally sound anyhoo (just for looks ;) ), so no worries there.

dr dragon
November 30, 2004, 1:01 am
Don't forget to put an updates list and DO NOT forget to update teh pictiaas!

Fangus Deef
November 30, 2004, 1:22 am
make layers and layers then. im liking this one's look.

Sprocket
November 30, 2004, 7:50 am
wow.. that looks.. good.

The Geologist
November 30, 2004, 8:45 am
Are you serious, or joking? Because that's only a portion of what the map will become.

Jap_man
November 30, 2004, 9:51 am
Wow, can't wait to see this map completed ;).
Also (if you do care about my suggestion) i say you keep it a fairly small map. we got enough "big ones"

Skate4Razors
November 30, 2004, 11:23 am
I think it looks great, and ou should make it multi leveled. :)

dr dragon
November 30, 2004, 9:42 pm
Looks Great!! Keep up the good work! When its in the New Maps section, I'm gettin it!

BMF
December 1, 2004, 12:02 am
not bad

dr dragon
December 1, 2004, 12:11 am
'Member to make more pillars!

_Mancer_
December 1, 2004, 12:47 am
Geo, this map is superb. It actually looks and feels like it should be in the next soldat version

10/10 and it isnt even done yet!

Unlucky 13
December 1, 2004, 2:05 am
YAY! Reminder of July! I wanna feel cold on christmas, so lets go!
Anyhoo, make the water with an ice cap over it and a "Bullets only" poly in a space, that way it'll be harder to get out!

Deleted User
December 1, 2004, 3:57 am
Very nice...good and smooth. Usually i'm a jungle map kinda guy, but this looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product. So are you gonna put in things for other modes like Rambo, Point, and TDM? Not that it really matters, just wondering.

The Geologist
December 1, 2004, 4:56 am
Definately...this will be a DM, Rambo, point, etc based map. :) I've got a lot of work to do this week, but more updates will be forthcoming. Thanks for all the positive feedback folks, I'll try my best to work things into the map that everyone would enjoy.

DeafBox
December 1, 2004, 10:50 am
hard to tell from just one pic but it looks good (Y)

IMO maps without a theme are better. The emphasis should be one game play rather then some mario graphic that u took from your snes emulator (not that is a really bad thing...).

gj son.

dr dragon
December 1, 2004, 11:29 am
Whoa! Looks Nice! I love it!

Sprocket
December 1, 2004, 11:44 am
looks great:)

The Geologist
December 1, 2004, 5:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeafBoxhard to tell from just one pic but it looks good (Y)

IMO maps without a theme are better. The emphasis should be one game play rather then some mario graphic that u took from your snes emulator (not that is a really bad thing...).

gj son.

Don't get me wrong...there is definately a theme, but the game play has always been important here. I'm constantly testing polys and stuff when I work on the map, making better waypoints, etc...oh, and there aren't any "mario graphics" here, thank you very much. I was considering releasing a map with special, ultra bouncy polys...some of the first tests of this map had polys like this which launched me way high in the map. Kinda fun, and useful at times when fighting people/bots...but still disrupts smooth gameplay.

P.S.- I'm old than you, and you sure as hell ain't my pops. Don't call me son. :)

Fangus Deef
December 1, 2004, 6:20 pm
lookin good, boy.

The Geologist
December 1, 2004, 6:22 pm
Danke. lol...older than you too, boy ;P

Edit: W00t...500 posts. Maybe I should spam and make a topic about it. ;)

Deleted User
December 1, 2004, 9:06 pm
Nice..this map outta be good for Rambo. Lot's of places to intercept the bow at.

Vassili_Zaitsev
December 18, 2004, 4:40 am
yea a good rambo map...not really ma fav style but eh
the idea with teh shelters is kewl, but it looks like there is FAR too much snow there to be ligical and for teh shelters to hold; as for teh logical part: if it has been snowing that much then snow would be falling in the tunnels and under the shelters and also start melting...
...but who cares about that type of detail in soldat, eh?

<this is not an invitation to flame me...[IMAGE]ers :P>

all im saying is it just dosnt look "right" if ya get ma drift...