( search forums )
Some tips for map n00b.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Deleted User
November 30, 2004, 2:01 am
Hi all, im going to start my first map project soon, i have figured out the layout, theme everything, the only thing i need now is some tips/help. heres a few questions:

1. Is there a good strategy on how and where to start placing polygons? Any tips on which part of the map i should start at?
2. Is it better to do the outside, and then the inside, for example im going to have a little floating islands in my map, will it be better for me to do this at the end or should i just add it as i go along?
3. Should i shade my polygons as i go along, or should i do all the shading at the end when the entire map is done?
4. this may seem like a dumb question, but when i click a polygon usually it has a number on the bottom, any way to Put in the number to get to the polygon?
5. Any tips on making smooth Oval shapes will be appreciated.

thats all the question i have currently, ill edit as i find new issues and new questions arise, any help is appreciated,other good mapping tips not in my questions is also appreciated, thank you.

Soulsnipa
November 30, 2004, 4:28 am
1. Nope...your choice, perhaps the bottom,center and work your way out.
2. Do the outside first, especially just doing it freelance
3. Your Choice, usually i cant wait to shade, and see how purty it looks.
4. No?
5. SML tutorial shows it sort of, just make many lots of small polys and zoom in.

For Futures questions you can always post on SMC forums.

SirKC
November 30, 2004, 8:45 pm
To make ovals or circle, just make it like a pizza. Cutting it up into to little slices. The best way I think is to make them pretty small, so it will be smoother.

Fangus Deef
December 1, 2004, 4:46 am
^wrong. that makes for too many bugs. overlapping is the key.

poop, DO NOT RELEASE YOUR FIRST MAP! keep them to yourself for like, 20 complete maps, until they are good. try asking one of your friends (who goes to forums) if we might except it well, cuz people have actually gotten their feelings hurt.

Skate4Razors
December 1, 2004, 5:04 am
1. I start wherever I think of first. Usually the top though...

2. I start with the inside, I'm not sue if it's better, but that way I know how much space should be between hallways and stuff.

3. I think shading the map when it's done is the best way.

4. No, sorry. Good idea though.

5. Listen to Soul on this. He's really good at making circle pollys. Look at the tutorials on SML, but the site is currently in construction. Check back soon! :)

I think I may have helped...

Elephant_Hunter
December 1, 2004, 5:18 am
http://sml.u13.net/

That's the site... funny how everyone assumed he knew it :P
If you need help from the mapping team then go there.

Fangus Deef
December 1, 2004, 5:36 am
everyone = not me?

Elephant_Hunter
December 1, 2004, 5:47 am
Yes, not you... woah, I could've sworn I read everyone's posts. Must be that annoying pink text that caught my attention away from yours.

Deleted User
December 1, 2004, 7:03 pm
thanks for the tips and link to sml, i tried searching the forums, but i couldnt find the tutorial and the site is under construction...

and fangus, i really dont care what other people think about my first map, since i know its my first, thanks for the tip though.