( search forums )
Waking Life
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Jello
December 2, 2004, 11:50 pm
Saw this movie over break, and just loved it. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it. If you haven't, I highly encourage you to check it out. It doesn't exactly have much in the way of a...plot... but there are tons of amazing ideas. Plus the way they made it is amazing: they filmed everything like you would normally, then went back and animated it. Sometimes the animation is a little trippy and hard to watch, but overall its really cool.

karmazon
December 3, 2004, 12:05 am
My friend saw it, and he's obsessed with it. From what I heard it's a stoned guy walking through a city.

Jello
December 3, 2004, 12:18 am
Not far from the truth...but he's not really stoned. He's sort of in a perpetual dream. He keeps waking up from what seems like a dream, does some stuff, then wakes up again. It continues through the whole movie. It's basicly about dreams and reality, hence the title "Waking Life."

The Geologist
December 3, 2004, 1:02 am
An amazing movie. Words don't do enough to describe all the thoughts contained within this movie...watch it any enjoy. :)

Tha Doggfather
December 3, 2004, 10:55 am
Sounds promising

/me goes to Suprnova

b00stA
December 3, 2004, 1:56 pm
I've seen it and it's a good idea to watch one "scene" (one person talking), stop, and then continue watching later or the next day, so you have enough time to think about everything. (should watch it completely for the first time though)
Anyway, have a look at my profile:
"On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion."

..which is a quote from the movie.. guess I won't have to tell you if I like the movie.
If you really want a plot: A person is constantly lucid dreaming as he meets (usually) foreign people that talk about their perspective of life etc.

?
December 3, 2004, 9:24 pm
Speaking of animations and movies... I saw Cool World like a month back... one of Brad Pitts first movies, I don't think many people know about it... go see it

Hitman
December 3, 2004, 9:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather
/me goes to Suprnova
/me follows suit.

Edit: Gah, nothing!

?
December 4, 2004, 3:27 pm
I went and rented it last night... its ok, alot of the people are just little wannabe revolutionaries trying to "educate" people about their ideas and trying to convince you to think the same way. I like the idea of lucid dreams but some of that crap they talked about was just so stupid I thought it would never end.

Tha Doggfather
December 4, 2004, 4:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hitmanquote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather
/me goes to Suprnova
/me follows suit.

Edit: Gah, nothing!

eh?

BMF
December 4, 2004, 4:16 pm
I went and rented the movie last night. Well, it made me think. There was this one guy who talked about the big bang theory, and the concepts of quatum mechanics applied to free will. That was amazing because that' something that I had been thinking about for some time.

Other than that, the movie is nothing but a collection of philosophical/antropological theories summarized by the characters. You guys should really open a book now and again. Yeah the movie was unusual, in a sense that nobody had done this before. But in reality, it is just a bunch of summaries of different books on philosophy, theology, and etc.

I went to sleep as soon as I finished my six-pack. The movie does get kinda boring. If I missed some crazy twist in the end, let me know. I'll watch it then.

Jello
December 4, 2004, 5:49 pm
Whoa, I'm surprised you guys actually went and rented it. BMF, I too really liked the quantum mechanics-free will part. Probably my favorite part in the whole movie. And I DO open books on occasion, as of right now I'm reading Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard.
And I will reluctantly agree on you about it just being a summary of many philosophical ideas. But alot of the charecters ARE philosophers (in real life), so they're summarizing thier own ideas.