( search forums )
Sounds in MapMaker
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 2:06 am
Michal would have to work with one of the current MapMaker creators to do this but I think that certain maps could benefit from having area specific ambient sounds and sound effects.

For instance, if you ran from a forest setting into a building you would first hear animals and rain and then equipment. Not only that, but maps could use an option to change the effects on each sound made so that if you were outside your grenades and footsteps would just thump but if you ran inside you would hear harder footsteps with echoes.

My idea isn't necessary, but it would certainly make maps a whole lot more interesting.

paramud
December 4, 2004, 2:14 am
yeah i wanted this early on, now that i've posted a positive comment everyone will say no :)

Deleted User
December 4, 2004, 2:19 am
Sounds like you mean sound sectors, or something similar. Basically, most 3D games utilitize invisible areas called sectors, which carry an ambient sound or some such, just as you described.

I like it a lot, yes'm I do.

LazehBoi
December 4, 2004, 3:02 am
I do too~
Yeah, it would make maps more interesting...

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 3:14 am
search funciton.

Michal
December 4, 2004, 3:48 am
Hmm... Would be good if it was done well, but if someone dosn't do a good job placing the sectors it could be annoying...

Marine
December 4, 2004, 4:12 am
Or maybe just some general sounds for different map types. Like jungle maps, jungle sounds, and maybe urban maps with occasional gunfire and screams, or such..

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 4:13 am
i dunno how it'd be done, but this is how i see it if it happens:
[IMAGE]

Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 4:37 am
Yeah, or it could be like polygons where you designate whole areas and pick the volume of the sounds on each vertice. That way you could fade sounds in and out. Also, they would have to be like the collision circles so you can't actually see them.

The Geologist
December 4, 2004, 10:27 am
Sounds like an interesting idea, but seriously...do any of you care that much when you're in the middle of shooting up your enemies? Oh, yes...lets pause to enjoy the sounds of nature and gunfire all around us before we get killed. Nice try, but in my opinion it's not really needed, and would easily be looked over..

?
December 4, 2004, 3:52 pm
Could be cool... alot of extra work but hey who cares about michal... :|

Marine
December 4, 2004, 4:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistSounds like an interesting idea, but seriously...do any of you care that much when you're in the middle of shooting up your enemies? Oh, yes...lets pause to enjoy the sounds of nature and gunfire all around us before we get killed. Nice try, but in my opinion it's not really needed, and would easily be looked over..

Well, it would give sort of a nice, errie feeling while you're walking to your enemies base, you know on those maps with an extra large no mans land (b2b?)

Sprocket
December 4, 2004, 4:44 pm
this should be in the mapping section..

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 6:32 pm
well not really, cuz it'd have to be coded by michal, because it'd be using code that's not in mapmaker source.

Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 8:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistSounds like an interesting idea, but seriously...do any of you care that much when you're in the middle of shooting up your enemies? Oh, yes...lets pause to enjoy the sounds of nature and gunfire all around us before we get killed. Nice try, but in my opinion it's not really needed, and would easily be looked over..

Just like how you look over the textures, scenery, backround colors, and gun shot sounds?

Your post is redundant because I already said that it isn't necessary, but it would definitely immerse you in the game that much more.

The Geologist
December 4, 2004, 11:42 pm
My post isn't redundant...it's my opinion, asshat. And do mean "over look" when you say "Just like how you look over the textures, scenery, backround colors, and gun shot sounds?". If so, you assume too much and you shouldn't be talking. I don't think it'd immerse me, for one, because I'm too focused on the game to care about any erie music in the background. The visual aspects of the game like textures, scenery, and background colors "immerse" me enough..the sounds of gun shots have a practical use. I'd most like turn my sound down or tune out the stuff in the background. But I don't speak for everyone. Sorry you didn't get the feedback you liked, but it's not redundant.

Vijchtidoodah
December 5, 2004, 12:16 am
Whoa whoa, sorry! I didn't mean for my post to sound that malicious.

I was just trying to point out that maybe some things may seem like they may be overlooked (you were right, it's not look over) but they really do add to the game.

As for not getting the feedback I wanted, I couldn't care less that people think it's a bad idea. I was just pointing out something that I think would make the game that much better.

Anyhoo, thanks for pointing out that I was an ass, I'll try not to do that again.

The Geologist
December 5, 2004, 1:33 am
Meh..don't be sorry :) I was a little pissed at the time, lol..my apologies. I do think it'd make the game better for a lot of people, since there are many who seem to like the idea. Lets smokem peace pipe.