( search forums )
Soldat -> GSA
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
SuperKill
December 4, 2004, 2:38 pm
yes it was brought up before, but the discussion was always a row of 3 posts at best.

well, if soldat was (is still?) ASE competible, why not make it work with gamespy ?
there cant be any flaws. it will solve all the requests for a chat lobby, and will get games to be played in a much more organized way.
those that are femiliar with GSA would know how game servers work:
the server's admin creates the waiting room, the players are joining one by one and waiting untill everyone is set. settings are being modified before the server finally runs, and while all of that happens, the players (and the admin) could chat.
when everything is set the admin kicks it off and the game is starting.

any opinions about it ?

Magniitude
December 4, 2004, 2:56 pm
I like the organized thing, but i don't want Soldat to be over publicized. I like the small community feel of it and i don't want a that many people. Also, since Soldat really is non-profit, i don't think gamespy will let us use it's service.

I hope i'm right...

SuperKill
December 4, 2004, 3:00 pm
dude, if soldat grows to be more then our small cozy community, it will mean more challenge, more leagues, more clans and much more players to play with (obviously). maybe if michal will add soldat to GSA the popularity will rise and he will get more registered players that will cover the expense for being listed in GSA, but that's the buisness issue and i tried to avoid it ;S

why would you prefer a small soldat community over a bigger one ?

Meandor
December 4, 2004, 4:15 pm
Does anyone know how much this fee is? I'm guessing it's a tad too expensive to be afforded by Michal just with reg codes.

Magniitude
December 4, 2004, 4:24 pm
I prefer smaller communities better because this community is unique, and if it grows to be too big and publicized, what will separate it from the other big company games like Unreal Tournament and such?

Marine
December 4, 2004, 4:39 pm
This is hardly a small community.

Personally I just like the feel of the continuous games going on, people leaving and entering, I don't really like that Admin make the game waiting room thing. I think its fine as it is...

SuperKill
December 4, 2004, 4:51 pm
@marine - people can still join games while they are being played in GSA.

@magniitude - what the hell is wrong with UT communities and such ? :/

Marine
December 4, 2004, 4:55 pm
Oh, so the point of waiting in a chat room with people is so that you can get a full server before starting. Hm, interesting concept, but the current system is still pretty good.

But it's rather interesting, Michael should look into it..

Magniitude
December 4, 2004, 4:59 pm
I never said anything was wrong, i just think that it won't be so unique anymore if everyone knows about it, and try making clones. If there are more people, then the good servers (u13) will get filled, only small servers will be available. Just don't want it to be over publicized, because it wasn't meant to be like UT, but as a small game where people have fun =)

I'm not saying that it's a completely bad idea either. I would like to seee something of that sort, but maybe not with gamespy with my above and previous reasons.

Deleted User
December 4, 2004, 5:18 pm
You do NOT want Soldat to touch GSA. TRUST ME.

IDF-RIPsta
December 4, 2004, 5:49 pm
I read a great article on online games that might contribute to this conversation, here's the plug:
http://www.mpogd.com/editorials/?ID=31

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 6:29 pm
i dont like it. soldat has enough people jamming up the good servers. i also like it when the game is midway, and i join and manage to get first really quick. that's just satisfying man.

BMF
December 4, 2004, 6:58 pm
More players - more servers - more leagues - higher overall skill level

75% of all the good players are people who had been playing this game for over a year. Sure, there are some newcomers, but there are too few of them. If we have alot of people come in and play, the skill lvl of the game will go up. I am all for the competition. I am with you here SK.

mipit
December 4, 2004, 6:58 pm
More Player = more hackers = sadder players = less registrations = no more soldat. there ya see?

Magniitude
December 4, 2004, 7:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by mipitMore Player = more hackers = sadder players = less registrations = no more soldat. there ya see?

Perfect.

IDF-RIPsta
December 5, 2004, 1:04 am
After this short and very fitting analysis by Mipit, do read at least the first part of the article I plugged...

In general it discusses players defined as "disruptive" - take pleasure in ruining the game for everybody else. Bigger community, bigger reward for such players. Furthermore, it's a percentage issue, disruptive players are a part of any online game, their percentage remains the same unless they actually succeed in hindering people from playing the game, which in such scenario, increases their percentage.

Other games have the ability to block players, soldat has not. Taking that into consideration, they would have a much easier task of ruining the game.

Take a look, for example, at DiabloII. The most famous abuse was the item trading / stealing. The solution Blizzard found, was to block the accounts of those players indefinitley.

As for the server issue, if there are more players, there will be more good and fast servers. Claiming that servers will get filled up, makes no sense because Soldat has grown and the number of servers have multiplied naturally. Keep the concept of "Supply and Demand" in mind.

I believe the pros and cons of a big community were addressed well in this thread and we don't make the choices anyhow...

Deleted User
December 5, 2004, 10:31 am
You can ask for it, but I doubt a big company like gamespy will bother with an indie game.

quote:Originally posted by mipitMore Player = more hackers = sadder players = less registrations = no more soldat. there ya see?

Oh please.

More players = More better players = More people willing to register = More $$$ for michal. There, ya see.

My point is it doesn't only work one way, now think about it for real this time. Or i could have said...

More players = More better players = More people for you to whine about.

diediedie119
December 7, 2004, 5:02 am
yea LL is right i tried to get some other game to touch GSA and they ripped me off

DT
December 7, 2004, 3:43 pm
we should wait... or else it will be like SP...

bucky_brad
December 7, 2004, 6:57 pm
I like this idea because it means soldat will probley get alot more popluar.
but I bloody HATE gamespy.
still it is a good idea and I would really like to see soldat grow alot more.