( search forums )
Lighting Effects in MapMaker
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 8:17 pm
Alright, so I've covered the sound effects, but what if you could designate certain areas where the lights actually make shadows?

Imagine that you're running through the tunnels in ctf_equinox trying to run away with the red flag. Suddenly, you spot a rapidly lengthening shadow ahead of you and you shoot, killing the red defender because his shadow from the light behind him gave away his position.

Perhaps it would just be another aesthetic addition to half-notice as you move around the level but I think that it would give particularly dark levels a whole new feel.

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 9:53 pm
SEARCH FUNCTION

Vijchtidoodah
December 4, 2004, 10:29 pm
NEVER WORKS PROPERLY

peemonkey
December 4, 2004, 10:59 pm
then look back about 10 pages before posting. this forum's been around for years, we've covered a hell of alot of things :/

EDIT:
\/ please do not spam with your attempt at humor. post something having to do with the subect at hand

mipit
December 5, 2004, 12:24 am
How bout Urinating Primates??

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 8:27 pm
you dont see many 2d objects that have shadows, they have shading, not shadows, how would you see a shadow on a 2d platform? the edge is a bit darker?

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 8:36 pm
It could directly change the shading of the polygons below it.

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 8:47 pm
yeh i guess, but you'd have to have that blend polygon bs, and i wouldn't bother noticing 1 mm of 5 shades darker of green or something

Soulsnipa
December 9, 2004, 8:49 pm
-PeeMonkey you consider ur [IMAGE] on topic?

-Krieg, its very easy, it would be reflected and darked the poly under it, how it would be achieved may just have a transpararant image reflecting under the soldat...idono.

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 9:04 pm
Is there the possibility that this would slow down the framerate a lot?

DT
December 9, 2004, 9:48 pm
no

DT
December 9, 2004, 9:49 pm
no i don't think it would... thier shadows for god sakes

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 9:55 pm
Just wondering, because one minigun can seriously slow down my computer, and having to compute twenty shadows would be a burden.

NuZZ
December 10, 2004, 6:32 am
Ahahaha... Peemonkey got told off by an admin :)
Stop flaming this damn topic, NOBODY has suggested light effects with shadows... I suggested light effects, night and day time. NOT SHADOWS!
Shut up and work with the topic! If the same post has been posted, just expand it! make new ideas for the topic, dont be a [IMAGE] head and try and mock the topic poster!

Deleted User
December 10, 2004, 9:06 am
Your post doesn't help, NuZZ.

I like the idea, myself. May be a little much for a game like Soldat, but it still sounds good, and fresh suggestions are always welcome.

By the way, the Forum Search works.