( search forums )
Plans for Soldat
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Horgrathi
December 5, 2004, 10:36 pm
I am sorry if this was posted before, but are there any plans for making this game aviable for Linux. I know wine (windows emulator) should work, but I am having many problems with it.

- Text is messed up
- Slow, Laggy
- Cant exit

Skate4Razors
December 5, 2004, 10:39 pm
I think it is on Linux, well, some servers are running with Linux. I'm not sure if that's the same, I don't know much about computers...

Horgrathi
December 5, 2004, 10:41 pm
I only found the windows version, if they ported it to Linux that be great. I check again, all I found is running it with wine.

n00bface
December 5, 2004, 10:44 pm
No, there are no plans for it to be ported to linux, since it uses DirectX. Please use the search function before posting next time, there have been several discussions on soldat & linux.

Horgrathi
December 5, 2004, 10:45 pm
Ok, sorry ... thought it was possible with OpenGl

Element_101
December 5, 2004, 11:54 pm
I Know Nothing About Linux, But I Do Know Some Guys Are Putting Togther A OpenGL Version Of Soldat.

Beastyboy6789
December 6, 2004, 1:46 am
...linux eh?
is that a rust cleaner or sumthing?
Open gl? why?
More LAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG?

n00bface
December 6, 2004, 2:15 am
Please don't post stupid in the general discussions, Beastyboy.

Linux is an operating system as I'm sure you already know.
And I also don't understand why you think OpenGL has "More Lag". I'll give you a link to a comparison anyways.

Edit: I guess the forum code doesn't like this URL, so just copy and paste it into your browser:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:CVPcW6mM3esJ:www.stickysauce.com/tutorials/programming/asp/opengl_vs_directx_a_comparison.htm+OpenGL+DirectX+comparison&hl=en

Horgrathi
December 6, 2004, 3:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Element_101I Know Nothing About Linux, But I Do Know Some Guys Are Putting Togther A OpenGL Version Of Soldat.

You know there site or link, they might have

quote:Originally posted by Beastyboy6789
...linux eh?
is that a rust cleaner or sumthing?
Open gl? why?
More LAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG?

A. Think before you talk
B. Research before you talk
C. Support and be able to backup of what you talk

[rant]...since n00bface gave a great description of linux, i thank him. For the Opengl, i ask you what in the world your talking about. I play UT 2004, Quake 3, Enemy-Territory, and last time i checked i USE Opengl. I get no LAG!!![/rant]

Thx n00bface for the nice description again, btw the link does not work :/

Teh Panda
December 6, 2004, 5:23 am
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=9754

Will
December 6, 2004, 8:49 am
i have an idea

1. getta new pc
2. install windows
3. play soldat

Teh Panda
December 6, 2004, 9:54 am
lol 4 the idea.

Yukwunhang
December 6, 2004, 10:07 am
good idea i ever seen...

Horgrathi
December 6, 2004, 12:09 pm
1. I like my old Pc
2. Why get something that cost a bunch a money if I can get something else that free and way faster. (Yes my Linux runs 5x faster then XP)
3. I still can play, I am just asking if theres a version out there. If not I just play with wine and try to slove the problem,

Aquarius
December 6, 2004, 12:38 pm
Probably there won't be any Linux version. It would require major rewrite of the code, because now it's in Delphi + DirectX. And Michal Marcinkowski won't do this.

Subslider
December 6, 2004, 7:45 pm
is it really that hard to just make another partion?... >.<

pt Gooch
July 12, 2005, 8:21 pm
well will most people these days don't like windows. that means that just because most games run on windows does that mean that we have to use windows, the world is changing fast you buy pc's with linux on not windows linux!!! games are now re-written to native linux take ut2004 and quake way can't soldat be written into linux native with a opengl or openal(same thing) it can be done but will they do it...

SoulForge
July 14, 2005, 2:17 am
OpenAL is not the same as OpenGL, OpenGL is used for rendering the game. OpenAL is for Audio.

bbqchips
July 15, 2005, 3:46 am
If you haven't already try using winex: http://ting.homeunix.org/cvs_wine/GetWineX.html

winex is the free version of cedega, a wine specifically for gaming that as far as I know supports soldat: http://www.transgaming.com/