( search forums )
Sandy - DM map (Map released)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
The Geologist
December 6, 2004, 11:29 pm
This man is available for download as Sandy_Bunker

Alright...this map is totally changed around from the original idea. After I got done with my tests and say down to start tinkering with it again, I decided that things just weren't working out how I wanted them to. Here's an overview of the new layout.

Updates:
*New Overview (added a snipers nest up top)
*Adding more sceneries, sandbags, crates, etc for cover.
*Fully waypointed!

Overview:
[IMAGE]

Down by the waters edge..plenty of spaces to hide in the reeds and bushes:
[IMAGE]

People wanted tunnels...so I linked up some tunnels with the oasis, creating a sort of flooded mine shaft:
[IMAGE]

Of course, these tunnels have multiple exits (now with more cover/protection):
[IMAGE]

The snipers nest:
[IMAGE]

Any more ideas? I'm still debating between making it an INF map or keeping it as is...what are your thoughts?

_Mancer_
December 7, 2004, 12:01 am
Add something that gives it style, lets say, An Oasis? Palm trees, water, maybe a hut or 2.

The Geologist
December 7, 2004, 12:23 am
A nice thought..I was thinking about a spot of water somewhere in the map (say, in the upper right area). Only the very first draft, mind you ;) Good ideas, thanks a lot.

Skate4Razors
December 7, 2004, 12:41 am
Make the spot of water have trees, palm trees, and make the trees surround it. Then make it look like a mirage. That would be cool as hell!

peemonkey
December 7, 2004, 12:57 am
looks exactly what you posted as your snow one XD

Vijchtidoodah
December 7, 2004, 2:05 am
^What he said^

It looks pretty much the same, but if you make it at least we'll have two to choose from.

The Geologist
December 7, 2004, 3:04 am
Yeah yeah...I know. :P But this one will most definately be different. No places to fall off, not as many levels, different scenery, etc. And there will definately be an oasis...I'm working on it when I can, I have some very busy weeks ahead.

Michal
December 7, 2004, 3:55 am
Sand looks too yellow, water too blue. I prefer more realistic colors, but If the map layout turns out well I won't mind.

Deleted User
December 7, 2004, 4:00 am
Maybe put a sun in there, that'd be pretty stylish.

The Geologist
December 7, 2004, 4:18 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalSand looks too yellow, water too blue. I prefer more realistic colors, but If the map layout turns out well I won't mind.

lol..that color is actually pretty realistic for some sands. :P But It can be toned down a bit if you like. And bleh..I can remake the water if it's really annoying. God you people just bitch bitch bitch!! Heh heh..j/k. If you guys see anything else, lemme know. :)

Any comments about the Oasis specifically? Scenery, layout, etc..

Vijchtidoodah
December 7, 2004, 4:32 am
The fact that you use only two different plant sceneries makes it look a little odd, but other than that I think you're on the right track.

The Geologist
December 7, 2004, 4:45 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahThe fact that you use only two different plant sceneries makes it look a little odd, but other than that I think you're on the right track.

More than two..there were three in those shots, and there are more added since then.

dr dragon
December 7, 2004, 11:40 am
Yoy could Maybe make tunnels and stuff.Maybe some ships in the water?
I like your maps. :)

Skate4Razors
December 7, 2004, 8:21 pm
I think you put WAY to many bushes, but it is cool. I still say make a mirage! :D

Deleted User
December 7, 2004, 9:34 pm
Hehehe..I have an idea. Put a magic lamp on there somewhere that if you touch, you die. I still think you should put a big sun in it as well, like how ctf_Equinox has the cool moon in it.

Deleted User
December 8, 2004, 4:44 pm
Nice map but the background is irritating my eyes... 9/10
(Theese f**ing eyes ;) )

The Geologist
December 8, 2004, 5:09 pm
lol..yeah, I hear ya. :) I might make it a bit darker...also, does anyone have any good sun bmps? Making a sun looks like crap, and I havn't been able to find anything good..

Alamo
December 19, 2004, 10:58 pm
I like it... but I like your interface better :) Can I have it?

The Geologist
December 19, 2004, 11:03 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=19130

Look in here, I believe this is the topic for it.

_Mancer_
December 19, 2004, 11:09 pm
Godlike new map geo.

12/10 Amazing. The best map ive ever seen even.

This map should be included in the next version!

peemonkey
December 20, 2004, 12:15 am
you [IMAGE]. you redid it and now it poons. 10/11 :(

dr dragon
December 20, 2004, 10:24 pm
NICE!!!! ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE!!!

Oooh! I know! Make it a CTF! Make the map huge and with lots of tunnels and that stuff, and make team bases! It'll rock out loud!

gunny
December 27, 2004, 12:43 am
good work with the water
and nice tunnel system

Maluno
December 27, 2004, 2:30 am
Yeah looks incredible i love the tunnel entrances.
Did u get a sun added?

Alamo
December 27, 2004, 3:12 am
The map looks really awesome... Nice shading, etc. Everything looks jussst right :)
I find it rather complicated though to add water in Soldat. If it's just up to the height of the knees or so it's ok but if you can really go deep into it it's hard to get used to water that does not limit your ability to move. It just looks a bit out of place like that. Plus the soldiers can stand in the water as long as they want, are not 'pushed' to the surface by the air in their body etc.

The Geologist
December 27, 2004, 5:31 am
lol...actually, I made the polys at the deeper depths of the water slowly hurt you, so if you just run around on the bottom you'll eventually die. I hear what you're saying though, and I'd like the movement to be different in the water vs out of the water. Sorry about the slow release, I've been at home and away from my comp. :(

I'm also looking for a good sun.bmp or something. Anyone have one they can send?

RocketRage
January 8, 2005, 11:03 am
How do you make the sand so 'smooth'? Did you use a LOT of polygons?

The Geologist
January 8, 2005, 11:14 am
Well..yes and no. I used enough so that the hills were nice and smooth, but the hills are usually no more than 10 polys, with a few over 15 (like the bunker area in the middle of the map). Just try linking a few more polys with a smaller side and things will look a little smoother.

Chakra
January 8, 2005, 11:31 am
I like it. Seems like a more colourful version of shau.

The Geologist
January 8, 2005, 11:53 am
Glad to hear it. Played it yet?

Deleted User
January 8, 2005, 9:40 pm
Great map, only the hills with lots of trees and bushes on the side keep making me think that I can go there. It's and odd effect, but it looks great.

Deleted User
January 9, 2005, 7:56 am
NOW it's a cool map! 10/10! For the great water and the darker background! :)

m00`
January 9, 2005, 8:01 am
hmm I wonder whos interface that is and I wonder why my names on top of your character :p

btw really nice map :D

Deleted User
January 9, 2005, 9:09 am
It looks very nice. I like it a great deal.

Still, though.. it needs more. Maybe a bit more attention to the scenery.. it just seems so lacking to me, but then again, it has a certain appeal the way it is.

That center open area is my only concern. Kinda.. sniper-ish.

The Geologist
January 9, 2005, 9:29 am
All these comments are great, post post 'em in the Sandy_Bunker thread! Heh heh...I want to know what to add for an update to the map since this particular idea is already released.