( search forums )
Hostility
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 6:36 am
What's up with people on these forums being overly hostile towards one another? At every thread I go to there are people whose only comments are a string of insults aimed at whoever they chose for an outlet for their anger at that particular moment.

I think it's like this because we're mostly just a bunch of pale-skinned video game playing anti-social nerds who get off by doing whatever we can to feel like we're better than someone else. That would also explain why people play Soldat so religiously...

But that's just a theory. Anyway, lighten up people!

The Geologist
December 8, 2004, 6:40 am
[IMAGE]. ^_^

that fuking sniper
December 8, 2004, 6:47 am
I second your opinion. This is basically the reason I dont participate that much in this community's affairs anymore. The forums have turned into a bigger version of the Bash Pit, if you ask me. Nobody really cares about any sense of community here, not anymore, that is. It has gone so far as to have moderators of this forum cheating in pubs, and old friends suddenly becoming little idiots. I consider you as "one of the first of many" that will notice this over-hostility. A group which will grow large enough to include most of the forum's population and "begin a new cycle", so to speak, turning this into a community which one could be proud of. All untill it repeats itself again, of course. Untill the forumees start to behave, though, people like me will find sanctuary in a little thing called inactivity.

m00`
December 8, 2004, 6:49 am
I dont think its a big deal as long as its in the bash pit :/ Thats were I keep my hatred to losers like NuZZ and DannyLB

Jap_man
December 8, 2004, 7:42 am
yes, the soldat forums is a very hostile place....live with it,it aint gonna change soon.

Meandor
December 8, 2004, 1:22 pm
Well, if like half the newbies that come in don't read the rules, don't use search, are cocky and can't type, that's not helping either. Then there are people that insult 'normal' newbies just because they are (or disagree with them), and that's another thing, but it doesn't happen so often. The reason is quite obvious, i'm against it in any way (exception made for a few morons ^^). I just lock stuff -.-

Will
December 8, 2004, 1:34 pm
could you post some links to other topics where we can find examples of these peeps?

ynnePmoT
December 8, 2004, 2:53 pm
some people are very offended if you say what you think for real.
+ some wanna look cool or what.. dunno really. i think the forums are ghey, aka, bunch of computeh geekies (read: 1200+ posts)

Tha Doggfather
December 8, 2004, 2:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniperIt has gone so far as to have moderators of this forum cheating in pubs

care to explain, and tell who?

Elephant_Hunter
December 8, 2004, 2:58 pm
What's up with people on these forums being overly hostile towards one another?
I have to satisfy my hunger for pain somehow when I don't play soldat. Sounds as if you're assuming that the flamer is accusing without base. My hostility only belongs to those who had it coming, so I'm particularly void in opinion over this issue until you elaborate.

Could you post some links to other topics where we can find examples of these peeps?
Shield
"Go play your damn halo"
"This is soldat. A shield doesnt belong in it. It just wouldnt work."
"Please, stop suggesting ideas for new weapons"

These are some examples of unconstructive criticism. Notice how I didn't mention the names of the people who posted the comments, and also notice how the topic was locked without explaination by the moderator of the forum. Some of them have replied to this topic despite how they may act outside. Is this acceptable and realistic behavior? Doesn't impress me.

Communities aren't without their shortcomings, but I try my best to set things straight among you guys.

Melba
December 8, 2004, 3:09 pm
i for one love this forums.
i don't know if it's the hostility and the patronizing comments, but i love it.

lots of laughs.

3rd_account
December 8, 2004, 3:19 pm
The pros are arrogant while the noobs are angry because they keep getting owned. When people doesn't see eye-to-eye or someone suggest vechicles, all hell breaks loose.
It's also a common human behaviour to flame the weak in order to make yourself look stronger.

But that's not why everyone hates you geo, you're generally just an ass.

DT
December 8, 2004, 3:20 pm
People are just... i don't know...i mean people didn't like me before becuse i spammed but i don't do that quite as often...even though i have seen many posts that are off topic to the topic... not playing the name game

FliesLikeABrick
December 8, 2004, 3:23 pm
I keep my hostility to a minimum and try to provide whatever i can to the community

DeMonIc
December 8, 2004, 4:20 pm
Hey kids, I'm a forum whore/troll/n00b/idiot.The air is filled with offensiveness...but I'd still have this community than a forum where everyone <3es each other...that's just...freaky =_=

Burstacap
December 8, 2004, 4:35 pm
well i have seen many hurtful comments in my day (which hasnt been very long) and yes some people can get hostile......anyways i dont think it really matters...as long as people dont get *physical* and by that i mean that as long as people dont start hurting others like going to their house and tackling them or something...ok thats all peace

SuperKill
December 8, 2004, 4:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah
I think it's like this because we're mostly just a bunch of pale-skinned video game playing anti-social nerds who get off by doing whatever we can to feel like we're better than someone else.

wah.. please, speak for yourself. dont tell me that i'm hostile and stuff now.. if you go to a bunch of people that you dont even know and start saying crap like that, it will never end up good.

quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoTi think the forums are ghey, aka, bunch of computeh geekies (read: 1200+ posts)

if every hour you spent on mIRC equals to 1 post, you could safely start calling yourself steve erkel (the nerd dude from family matters).

Alamo
December 8, 2004, 5:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by ynnePmoT[...]bunch of computeh geekies (read: 1200+ posts)

want me to stop posting now or what? I'm not a computer geek...

The forums are a hostile place but I actually like it. It's fun to hang around here. And if you look around you see all the people that are able to cope with the hostility here. The rest can go and look for a friendly forum.

Melba
December 8, 2004, 5:04 pm
http://forums.govteen.com/

forum4u

BMF
December 8, 2004, 5:09 pm
I think you all need to stop crying

Deleted User
December 8, 2004, 5:13 pm
Gaming forums are hostile...

Teh Panda
December 8, 2004, 5:30 pm
Cos gamers are agressive...

lieroguy
December 8, 2004, 6:21 pm
Yeah. It goes with the territory. I suppose it's to be expected from a group of guys who play a game where the object is to decimate the enemy. The biggest problem is that someone always has something to complain about in soldat, even me.

kkazican
December 8, 2004, 8:08 pm
Wow elephant hunter I don't know whether to feel proud or insulted seeing how no one ever cares about me anywhere. In school, by my friends, or even my family.

Back on topic the only reason I would insult people on this forum is not because I hate people who act dumb or have the brain the size of a duracell battery. It is the people who cease to swallow their pride and admit something of theirs is bad or mistaken. They are the ones who do not use their heads to search or even think about a community as a whole. Every suggestion I have ever made has been to not try and impress the majority of the newbies in the game. Or be better mainly for the players who are veterans. I try to think up of ideas that could help soldat as a game.

Would shields make soldat a great game?
Would vehicles make soldat a great game?
Would making the sniper rifle have to shoot people 3 times to kill them or have the ruger need to use the whole clip to kill a person?

Perhaps the would perhaps they wouldn't. Using ideals such as sarcasm I try to get my point across in a very sudden very strict mannor that you all might not like but I believe it get's my point and thoughts told. Sometimes I could be in a lighter mood and simpley state it as I would a mere child because that is how some people in the community act. Sometimes I simply state what I believe would be the best option for this community and slander someone who stated a completely stupid thing that would apply to only part of the community such as the camper part or the newb part.

I am occassionally that person that does something or says something stupid. But I don't say OMGZ0RZ 1 Fuk1/\/G H473 yU0. I take what is said against me I argue my case and then decide whether what you said is true/better or not.

That's just me though and I probably rambled too much and I probably have no real topic in here only fragments.

Michal
December 8, 2004, 8:32 pm
These forums are the least hostile place I know....I'm not joking.... :(

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 8, 2004, 9:12 pm
poor michal, im sorry.
Its not that its hostile, but rather a bunch of children trying to turn this fun game into a soap opera. All of the people on the forums try to be so dramatic and its just a game that your supposed to have fun with.

n00bface
December 8, 2004, 9:17 pm
You claim we're the ones trying to be dramatic, when you're the one who writes 2-page goodbye posts every other month :P

Melba
December 8, 2004, 9:33 pm
[IMAGE]

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 9:36 pm
It's funny how even on a thread highlighting the hostilities of this forum, people are still being somewhat hostile.

Does anyone think that this kind of behaviour is particularly bad when compared to plaing a game in which killing people with a chainsaw and then peeing on their carcass is the norm?

SuperKill
December 8, 2004, 9:41 pm
err.. honestly.. wake up from that dreamworld you live in. are you a hippie ? if by "not hostlie" you mean - everyone is in peace and loving eachother, then lay off your drugs and start noticing what time of life are you living in.

Meandor
December 8, 2004, 9:49 pm
pft, again with the 1000+posts = geek issue.. even if anything could make you a geek, it would be the posts per day ratio in your profile, surely not the post count.
BTW: when i was talking about noobs that deserve bashing, go look in suggestion forum at what that diedie person did for an example

SuperKill
December 8, 2004, 10:13 pm
<hostile off topic attack>
AHAHAHA MEANDOR your mighty juventus tied with a crap israeli team :F

kkazican
December 8, 2004, 10:14 pm
Meandor I made that post jokingly if you took offense to that then maybe you shouldn't be taking anything seriously. I for one am not a very serious person but ever since I made that post I have been insulted at least 6 times and people with 1000+ posts seem to try and find every opening to bring it into conversation. Chill-out dude.

Kazuki
December 8, 2004, 10:22 pm
Ahahah, I like you, Doodah. I've noticed this multiple times. I've pointed it out in multiple threads, but it never seemed to reach a critical point. It never seemed to stick into people's heads. Superkill, not to argue, but I think he means the general way that people express themselves in this forum. For example, in your post, you make yourself sound like you were trying to insult him. I don't know if you were actually trying to or not, but it just sounds that way. If you were to rewrite your post in a different format that would sound more 'soft,' the whole post would make you seem like a nicer person.

The biggest thing I hate about these forums is that they tend to cling to their opinions, and they defend them with their lives. Once they hate someone, they never change their minds about that person. Two good examples of this would be Paramud and DannyLB. Seriously, the guys try to post their opinions or help out in some way, and they get bashed by the closed minds that need to be bashed instead. I don't care how much you hate them, acting like assholes makes you the antagonists.

People probably aren't too fond of my character either, but I'm still around. I guess there really isn't anything that can anyone can do. Speeches won't help, actions won't cause change, lessons can't be taught. Let's just hope that the problem will eventually fix itself. I still don't understand why there are the few people that just can't stand other people making mistakes. Somehow it's O.K. if you make the mistake, but it's not O.K. when someone else makes it. :|

December 8, 2004, 10:30 pm
What an ironic thread.

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 10:36 pm
Thanks kaz, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Superkill, I understand that you don't think that people are expressing themselves in an aggravated manner, but both kaz and I noticed that the very post in which you stated your idea was in a negative light. Then, your next post was an attack on another member of the forums (at least, that's how he responded). I'm sure that by now you can see that you too are guilty of these acts, and if you know that then I hope that opens you up to seeing the overall hostility of the entire forum.

The Geologist
December 8, 2004, 10:39 pm
Rocks don't hate anyone. :)

SuperKill
December 8, 2004, 10:49 pm
sigh. seriously.
i dont know how to explain, basiclly; you're just taking it too seriously. (atleast my posts).
true its ugly what some people are doing to paramund, but sheesh its an online game forum.. what did you expect ? :/

Psyker
December 8, 2004, 10:49 pm
people take this game too seriously

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 10:55 pm
The problem is, superkill, that because I'm reading instead of listening to what you're saying, every emotion expressed is up for interpretation. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, mad, cute, idiotic, playful, or just naive. But what I can tell you is that the way it's written, it seems to be misanthropic and cynical.

Marine
December 8, 2004, 11:06 pm
Hah. Two reasons.

This is what happens on EVERY game forum and EVERY game community, unless some strict as rules are put into effect, MODs don't even pay attention to half the flames (so many threads and forums here the MODs cant enforce everything). And it's true on every forum; TankMania, Wulfram, Starcraft. Usually its because people with less rank and posts "Privates" are new, and people think they must be idiots so they flame them. They do it to get attention and to try and look cool.

Another reason why they do this, is because they're bored. They've played this game for 1 year+ and it's boring to them. So they camp on the forums all day and flame people. Instead of finding a new game and starting out as a private and building their way up. I'm a vet on some forums (TM), a noob on some forums (wulfram), or in between on some forums (here). It's really unstoppable unless the MODs become nazis, and at that point its not fun anymore.

But if someone gives you trouble, you really should PM a MOD.

DT
December 8, 2004, 11:50 pm
i can be "mean" i got a flicking off smily i'm itching to try [IMAGE]

Kazuki
December 9, 2004, 12:34 am
Well, to start off, just because it's an online game forum doesn't mean that it isn't a descent form of communication. That being said, a valid fact states that people's feelings and intentions are entangled here. They can easily be affected. Maybe to you, it might be different. You might not care what Weed says, or if n00bface bans you, or if DT annoys you with his non-relating posts (;D), but there are people that actually do. I admit that I myself spend a lot of time around the forums and involved in Soldat, so this online game forum can actually affect my day.

With that, I go onto my next point. What I am typing into is not a game, and although it revolves around one, it strictly isn't. It's called a community for a reason. You don't call your neighborhood a monopoly board, now do you? Secondly, compared to you, some people do take this game too seriously, but it just depends on what you have going on in your life. For me, it's just school, PS2, sleepovers on weekends, and well, this community. I have a lot of open time to spend here, and I'm most likely more attached to it than you are. Eh, that's just my opinion. I guess that if I can't really change what you think, I shouldn't try. ;)

Psyker
December 9, 2004, 12:40 am
kaz, find something better to do. ;)

Kazuki
December 9, 2004, 12:47 am
I'd try if I wanted to... ;D

SuperKill
December 9, 2004, 2:08 am
the main point is: so what ?
oh man he sounds so negative boo hoo.. dude get over it.
you know what.. its too much to explain and i wont bother. dont tell me "oh you're not explaining cuz you're just bullsh!tting" cause i'm not, and i cant care less if you believe me or not.

marine: "So they camp on the forums all day and flame people" maybe a few people do that, you dont have to generalize it to the whole forum.

Jello
December 9, 2004, 3:15 am
It could be because I'm kind of new here, but I've never been flamed or anything, even though I could be considered at the critical "noob" stage on these forums. I've seen plenty of flames (I read these forums for a few months before joining so I've been here longer than you may think), some of them misplaced, some not. I think if you're just courteus and nice people won't flame you. Exept in the Suggestions forum. I must admit to shooting down more than one idea there. Do I regret it? Not at all, because the suggestions forum is the REAL bash pit, where the noobest of the noobs go to suggest "build mode" or something and get flamed and learn not to be so dumb. Aaaaaanyways, it's not that bad. You guys are a little sensitive about things.

Marine
December 9, 2004, 5:03 am
SuperKill, yea sorry, that was an extreme exaggeration, I apologize for that. Nobody camps on the forum all day, but I mean to say that a lot of people get bored with the game, and just stay connected to the community to rack up post count and flame people. I've done it plenty of times, I would know.

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 6:42 am
Superkill, I never said anything about trying to correct rude behavior, I just offered the opportunity to notice it as a problem and understand why it happens.

Will
December 9, 2004, 11:28 am
quote:But that's not why everyone hates you geo, you're generally just an ass.

prime example.

0_o

Element_101
December 9, 2004, 1:49 pm
Sigh...

Look, Look At Your Selfs, Your Fighting Like A Bunch Of Two Years Old. This Is Whats Wrong With This Forum, Its Sad Really...

Grow Up And Stop Trying To Fight Everyone That You Dont Agree With, Accept That There Idea May Appeal To Other People (Not You) And Move On, Easy As That.

There Are People That Keep Me From Leaving This Forum Simply Because I Like The Way They Think And Tend To Agree With What They Have To Say. That Fuking Sniper And Super Kill No Name A Few.

Meandor
December 9, 2004, 2:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by kkazicanMeandor I made that post jokingly if you took offense to that then maybe you shouldn't be taking anything seriously. I for one am not a very serious person but ever since I made that post I have been insulted at least 6 times and people with 1000+ posts seem to try and find every opening to bring it into conversation. Chill-out dude.

I was talking about the others that meant it seriously. I was just stating stuff, i couldn't care less about some demented people insulting me.

kkazican
December 9, 2004, 4:34 pm
Oh right sorry :D I assumed since my post was the most recent version of it I've seen I assumed you were talking about me.

Melba
December 9, 2004, 5:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101Sigh...

Look, Look At Your Selfs, Your Fighting Like A Bunch Of Two Years Old. This Is Whats Wrong With This Forum, Its Sad Really...

Grow Up And Stop Trying To Fight Everyone That You Dont Agree With, Accept That There Idea May Appeal To Other People (Not You) And Move On, Easy As That.

There Are People That Keep Me From Leaving This Forum Simply Because I Like The Way They Think And Tend To Agree With What They Have To Say. That Fuking Sniper And Super Kill No Name A Few.

hahahahahhahaah not even does it look retarded, but if you look closely your grammar is wrong too!
haha english is my _second_ language, and still i have better grammar than you :d

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 6:37 pm
Element 101, most of us here are accepting eachother's ideas, we just like arguing and debating them without actually agreeing. On the other hand, Melba's ridicule of your post clearly embraces the point that you were trying to make.

IDF-RIPsta
December 9, 2004, 7:34 pm
I would say its just puberty...

You should also notice the difference in ethnicities. SK, for example, is from Israel, where sarcasm and bad behavior is commonly accepted. You could say that we (Israelis) have more pressing issues than tending to rudeness on Internet forums (we seem to fail brilliantly when it comes to confronting it in real life though); hence his replies are usually careless.

I find mutual respect to be important, and if you cannot formulate a sentence without sarcasm, rudeness, bad words, etc, then forum administrators should delete your post.

I have to give examples because this is the place to do so. I personally, find Jaz's posts to be real eyesores. All I see is red smileys. I don't know about you, but I bet that this kind of language is not tolerated at his home, and if it is, then I simply pity him.

DannyLB
December 9, 2004, 9:15 pm
My opinion is that the forum rules should be more strict! There is so much spam in this forum.

Deleted User
December 9, 2004, 9:31 pm
I really think this should be in the lounge. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this topic is ironic because its really just stirring up trouble.

I do agree though, there is a lot of hostility here, but then again, take a look outside. There is hostility all across the world, and that's not going to change. It's human nature. Moreso, the fact that (most of us) are men here also causes a lot of trouble with all the testosterone flying about.

Basically, my point is..

you havn't seen hostility until you've played Counter-Strike.

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 9:52 pm
Point taken.

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 10:25 pm
your right there, counterstrike is way to popular, and due to the popularity people want to be all they can be, and yes ofcoarse some people throw around the cliche insult, omg noob, hacker, fag, awper. it's funny because these are the people that cause annoyance for other people and even their team mates get pissed off with them, and so they should. i mean i dont like being handed a cliche such as "use the search bar" I WOULDN'T HAVE TO USE THE SEARCH BAR IF YOU (pardon the caps/insult) IDIOTS DIDN'T KEEP CLOSING THEM BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY OF THEM, THERE WOULDN'T BE 40 "SOLDAT NEEDS MORE VEHICLES" IF YOU DIDN'T CLOSE THE LAST 39. and yes i do need some sort of anger release, i mean i like to joke around when i die, but too many times just starts to piss you off ya know? and i even found it hard to belive that people actually made hacks for soldat, a 2d shooter, hardly any skill required to play, about as much as it takes to turn on the computer everyday or sit down and move the mouse down 2 cm down and 2 cm across in cs for a spray. I'm one of those people who can take alot of [IMAGE]s me the most, cliche sayings, "use the search bar" "dumb noob" oh and those really stupid lame and pathetique comebacks like "oh, your momma soldat hacker" it doesn't take much intelligence to string 5 words together, what a silly paddock monkey rash face, see i just did it, and it sounds funny, but as a result you'd all think im a idiot (probably too late though :P) i think i beat the longest post in this forum, have i? nope. another thing in soldat i couldn't help notice is that whole double standard of hunter-hunted, you get your ass kicked by a "noob" and so you say "omfg hacker" you kill him after about 3 goes, "wo0t, whats that bitch? huh your dead?" then they leave, your like "what a fukn sook" the thing is with the internet hostility is that everywhere people are hostile, there is about 20,000,000,000 people in the world and only about 100,000 of them believe in world peace. a simple hint can be taken the wrong way, for example, you need to make your font bigger. it's a order, you feel threatened you retaliate with what ever resources you have, whether it be a really good vocabulary or brute strength, or even good lateral thinking for planning ahead. if we cut down the amount of hostility we had on the internet it would be alot better to go to places and talk in forums without somebody saying, "omg what a loser noob cake" dont you think?

<OFF TOPIC>
it says i need to sign in when i wanna pm people, but i do sign in and it still says i need to sign in :/

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 10:51 pm
Thanks for your participation, Krieg. I can't tell you why people accuse others of hacking and then turn it all around, but personally I have never seen that happen.

As for the search function, people tell you to use it because it's annoying to see someone come up with an idea that was a thread a long time ago. To a lesser extent, people also get upset when you post on an old thread, but it's really not that big of a deal.

BTW: Ask how to PM in another thread.

Kazuki
December 10, 2004, 12:29 am
Just to clear things up for Element, we've been calmly taking each other's perspectives into account. I suggest that next time you post, you spend the time that you spend capitalizing every word on another aspect; reading the whole book before writing the report. No one here is really arguing. We're giving our opinions. That's what the forums are all about.

As Elephant Hunter once said, "The Soldat community is wasting itself." That should pretty much sum up Kreig's post. ;D

Elephant_Hunter
December 10, 2004, 6:21 am
You remembered that? Heh, I must've made an impression. It's nothing to worry about... the community "wasting" itself; these people aren't in the right mindset nor intelligent enough to go about ruining communities.

Kreig does have a point though. I do not agree locking topics that have been brought up before to save bandwidth or because it's just not gonna happen. There's no substantial evidence to support any claim of saving bandwidth. Regardless of whether an idea is going to be implemented or not, the suggestion forum should be a place to harbor ideas and let them flourish rather than just killing them on the whim of whatever joker is moderating. It gives a bad impression to folks who are new to our game and scares them away from the community.

If you want people to go away, the easiest way to do it is a direct assault. Ex:

Subject Element_101 is being rebellious and expecting nobody to retaliate at him for his unappealing bad grammer.

quote:
Sigh...

What do you contribute to the community that makes you think That Fuking Sniper and Super Kill want you to stay? Why do two people who you've never met keep you from leaving and never coming back? There's a lot of people pissed off at you right now.

I was looking through the most recent topics lil' Element has viewed, and I found it annoying that he posted in every one. Spammer? Or just your average Joe forumer?

quote:
Sounds, Ummm Complicated.

Yeah It Has Been Thought Of But I Dont Care, Having Two Mp5s Though Would Be Unstopable... (In A Bad Way)

Sigh....

The Laws Fine, Leave It.

Nice, I Cant Belive You Could Be Bothered Doing It But Congrats Anywayways.

Real useful stuff, eh? He really didn't put any thought into any of that. One should take some time to weigh the pros and cons of every topic he posts in, then depending on the seriousness of the topic create an assessment. Until Element starts learning how to speak I'm sure we could live without him. Go hide in a cubby and don't respond.

Meandor
December 10, 2004, 4:03 pm
The reason behind locked topics in suggestion forum is:

quote:Originally posted by MeandorI don't lock topics just because someone says the magic word, i do check/remember.
Anyway, if you're wondering why they get locked: because people spam/flame each other all over in old ideas threads, and because, being the suggestion forum quite popular, each unique idea deserves the same space, instead of being pushed down by re-runs.

If you still think this is wrong, feel free to point out the issue in forum support, i just do what i think is better for everyone.

Sekushi
December 12, 2004, 7:30 am
A lot of people on this forum are very easy to get mad at.