( search forums )
1st wave
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
DT
December 11, 2004, 6:42 am
we are being bombbarded with newbies comeing and post... what i wana know is why thier are so many all of a sudden...
our posts are being attacked with spam and other crap that could of been searched... then again they are newbies but still
and thier acting like i did before but worse... and taking my job to

Kazuki
December 11, 2004, 7:06 am
I don't see any problems with the newbies that are arriving. Some of them do spam and whine, etc, but most of them just come here seeking help. And don't worry, your job is too random and pointless to be taken. :P

IDF-RIPsta
December 11, 2004, 10:19 am
What if we let new forum members post only in a special forum?

When one of them actually comes up with a suggestion that might benefit the game, the moderator, in charge of this forum, moves it to the "Game Improvements" section of the forum. After that, the newcomers are free to roam the forum.

For the lazy newcomers, add a 1-2 month "no-post" duration.
It can't be a post-count factor, because then they would just spam their forum.

At any stage of their metamorphosis, they can read all the topics, but can't reply.

What do you think?

palloco
December 11, 2004, 11:04 am
LOL,

Aquarius
December 11, 2004, 11:19 am
quote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaWhat if we let new forum members post only in a special forum?

A forum ghetto for new users?
And old users as "ubermembers", who deserves more "forum lebensraum"?
No thanks.

Meandor
December 11, 2004, 2:42 pm
DT TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF AS USUAL
BIG EGO

Hitman
December 11, 2004, 2:53 pm
The newbie's of today are the veterans of tomorrow; Welcome them with open arms.

Tha Doggfather
December 11, 2004, 2:57 pm
OH TEH IRONY

BMF
December 11, 2004, 3:54 pm
DT you are the goddamn newbie. Since when are you the veteran of this forum?! Who the hell are you anyway to pass judgement? Damn noobs.

Kazuki
December 11, 2004, 4:19 pm
Hah, I think he's been here long enough to gain the least of respect. However, he needs to learn to spend some more time while writing his posts. ;)

Melba
December 11, 2004, 4:39 pm
like periods and commas :)

palloco
December 11, 2004, 4:44 pm
How can someone with that avatar be respected?

b00stA
December 11, 2004, 4:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by KazukiHah, I think he's been here long enough to gain the least of respect. However, he needs to learn to spend some more time while writing his posts. ;)

He needs to spend LESS time posting.

BMF
December 11, 2004, 5:12 pm
When I just started posting here, I used to do my best to piss everybody off and stir as much diarrhea as I could. I remember making a similar thread where I suggested that noobs should have a designated area where they can post. Good times..

BMF
December 11, 2004, 5:13 pm
Oh wait, I am still doing my best stirring the diarrhea. I guess the happy days are here again!

Meandor
December 11, 2004, 5:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanThe newbie's of today are the veterans of tomorrow; Welcome them with open arms.

Some newbies stay newbies, they just pretend to be the oh-so-respected(...) vets

Vijchtidoodah
December 11, 2004, 6:50 pm
:( When do I become something other than a noob? That's so sad...

Alamo
December 11, 2004, 6:53 pm
No ghetto. Noone would stay there anyway. They would all wander off and never come in. You can kill a community like that. Old members get off, new members stay off... GREAT IDEA! :P
I think these waves come whenever Soldat is featured on a new page or in a new magazine.

Kazuki
December 11, 2004, 6:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAquote:Originally posted by KazukiHah, I think he's been here long enough to gain the least of respect. However, he needs to learn to spend some more time while writing his posts. ;)

He needs to spend LESS time posting.

I meant more time while writing the actual post. So if he has half an hour on the forums and spends a minute on his posts, he would be able to post around 25 posts. If he spent around 2 or 3 minutes to post with correct grammar, in the right topic, and relate his post to the topic, he would be able to post about 10 posts. See the difference?

DeMonIc
December 11, 2004, 8:47 pm
"I can see the newbies coming over the hills cap'n!"
Trust me, this is far from what's gonna happen if soldat gets real popular....

IDF-RIPsta
December 11, 2004, 8:49 pm
I like my idea, it gives more power to the middle class / working class.
Veterans post less because they've seen everything happen already, and newcomers can't post unless they read a few hundred topics first.

In two months where newcomers can't post, they are sure to come across at least one "Let's add Vehicles to soldat!" post.
One of those posts, once every two months, is much better than 3 every week...

A newcomer "enclosure" (ghetto is too harsh a word to use in this case) could give them the chance to actually learn something about each other and about this forum in general...
They can't bash each other because they are all new, and they can't badger everyone else with bad ideas... it's a win / win situation...

DeMonIc
December 11, 2004, 9:14 pm
Who is considered a "vet"?
And those who get out of the ghetto (like it or not, it is the best word to describe it :\) will be still considered noobs probably.They can't bug us with their posts..but that means, they won't learn how we'd react to their posts, so they'll post it immediatly when they can.That won't work =_= A newbie doesn't "grow up"...

Aquarius
December 11, 2004, 10:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcWho is considered a "vet"?

A "vet" is an animal doctor.

BMF
December 11, 2004, 11:57 pm
Then imma pofeshunal

DT
December 12, 2004, 6:03 am
i don't consider myself as a vet... because i didn't play the first version...
think of me as a drifter whos made his home here for a while...

Meandor
December 12, 2004, 5:02 pm
There's no active person here that played the 'first' version i think

Chakra
December 12, 2004, 5:38 pm
I suppose many of us are vets, as am I. I've been around for over a year, i've fought many battles, sprung around a few clans, even beta tested a few times, and done all sorts of malarky in Soldat. As have most the peeps who posted in this topic. 'Course, there'll always be peeps more 'vet' than I, dawning from the very beginnings of Soldat.

I don't think anyone's getting carried away with the term 'vet' being some kinda' badge of honour though. Merely a term for those experienced enough to know/understand most of what newcomers don't.

I agree theres alot of new faces springing up, and probably more on the horizon. 'tis a public forum and a public game, and these things happen as popularity slowly grows. Soldat is apparently a highly recognised freeware multiplayer game and is undoubtably unique and attractive. Alot like me.

IDF-RIPsta
December 12, 2004, 5:52 pm
I have the perfect example of a newcomer who wouldn't have posted his stack of suggestions, had he been actively READING the forum before being able to post:

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=19325
(Notice that I care less about other subjects on this forum, since I find the Game Improvements section to be the most important)

People learn from experience, and it mustn't necessarily involve our efforts, on the contrary, they should be the ones to first gain experience before sharing their stack of overused ideas...
It is not a factor of growing up at all... in fact, I cannot, by all means, see the connection between "growing up" and gathering experience. Growing up is physically related? You can be 15 and have forum experience, yet you are not grown.

Which leads me to another misinterpretation, the word "Ghetto", can easily be replaced with, as I also suggested, the term: Newcomer Enclosure. It sounds less hostile and has a different connotation to it. After all... we're not sending them to live in slums where people off themselves for cheeseburgers...

DeMonIc
December 12, 2004, 7:10 pm
I meant by "growing up" that a child grows up and forgets his infantile habits: newbies rarely do that.They'd read the forum, but I bet they'd leave quite fast if they can't post anything.If they can, in the Newcomer Enclosure, as you put it, they'll be probably make posts about what they read elsewhere, and share their own ideas (VEHICULZ) first.It'd be pretty much the same as now...but they'd only bug each other with it.Or even worse, they'd like that, and enforce it once they can post in the regular parts of the forum.

DT
December 12, 2004, 7:30 pm
quote:I meant by "growing up" that a child grows up and forgets his infantile habits
just like me.... not fully though [IMAGE]

LumpyFerret
December 15, 2004, 12:36 am
i cant hoold it.
I CANT HOLD ITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

DT
December 15, 2004, 12:57 am
like him...

LumpyFerret
December 15, 2004, 3:49 am
yeah and this completes my winning of bashpit..

so therefore..

me = win

KOREA MUST BE WIN!