( search forums )
new mode: team territory
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Svirin Kerath
December 12, 2004, 7:33 pm
warning: this is a very long idea. however, i think-and hope-it's worth it.

this would be easiest with only an A and B team, but a creative mapper could have up to 4 teams.

this is similar to spawn capturing and whatsisname's trench idea, but this would be purely based on capturing territory. i'll explain.

each side starts out with the same amount of territory on the map: about 10-30%. the spawn points in each team's territory will spawn their soldiers. so, red territory will spawn red soldiers, and blue territory will spawn blue soldiers. now, i have two ideas for this. here's one: for each area of territory, there's a tower or structure. in order to make the tower "allied" with your team, team mates need to deal it damage equal to the total HP of 2 or 3 soldiers. then, it'll turn the color of the team. the territory of that tower will also turn that color, and that team can now spawn in that area.

for example. red team goes to an unclaimed tower. it deals it 3 soldiers or so worth of damage. the tower turns red. the tower's territory turns red. red team can now spawn in that territory.

if a team already controls a tower, the opposing team must deal it 5 soldiers worth of damage to capture it.

example. blue team comes along to the red tower. it deals the tower 5 soldiers worth of damage. the tower turns blue, as does the territory, which will now only spawn blue soldiers.

that's one idea. here's another. this idea requires a new soldier type: a builder.

it's similar, except unclaimed territory has no existing towers. a team's builder needs to build one. while this is happening, other team-mates need to defend the builder while he/she builds the tower. once the tower is erected (tee-hee... erected... tee-hee), the territory in that area would belong to the team. of course, there would have to be designated "building points" where a builder could build.

example. red team comes to an unclaimed building point. the builder comes along, and they defend him while he builds a tower. once it's complete, the area becomes red, and they can now spawn on it.

to capture a tower, it would be destroyed, and an opposing builder would need to build a new tower on the building point.

example. blue team comes along. they destroy the tower. blue team's builder would build a new tower in its place. the territory is now blue, and they can spawn there.

there would be a table, similar to the CTF and INF score table, indicating the percentage each team controls. a team can win if they control anywhere from 55-100% of the controllable map (decided on the game start screen, where the amount they initially control would also be decided).

what makes this interesting is that a team's spawn point numbers depend on territory. if a team controlls more territory, the opposing team will have less spawn points, but the soldiers will be spawned in a more condense manner. this can lead to magnificent "last stand" battles, where 100% is required to win. a team controls 95% of the map and battling for the last 5%. because all of the losing team's spawns are in that 5%, they can hold it more easily than the winning team, whose spawns are more spread out.

needless to say, this would best be played with a shiatload of players.

another fun thing: you can capture a tower in the middle of another team's territory. as long as you hold it, you can spawn there. so, you can spawn in the middle of their territory and fight towards your own side, capturing towers as you go.

some supplemental info:
-in the version where towers need to be built
--once someone starts building a tower, an opposing one can't be built on the same point until the existing one is destroyed, no matter what level of completion. also, these towers are damaged by everything but the barret, knife, or chainsaw.

-in the type without the builder, damge is dealt to towers thusly:
--unclaimed towers are captured by the team that deals the final damage to it. like, in team mode, say you have a blue team with 5 players and a red team with 5 players, and a green team with one player. everyone is shooting at the green player who's... i dunno, out getting coffee or lagging or summat. the kill of the green player goes to the last team to deal him/her damage. that's how uncaptured towers'll work.
--captured towers will work this way: say the tower is red. blue shots damage it, while red shots heal it.
--towers can only be damaged with grenades, LAWs, M79s, mingun, and minimi.

plus! soldiers can jump into towers and shoot from them, like in Bunker. this way they can defend them.

ideas?

oh, and thanks for taking the time to read it. ^_^

kkazican
December 12, 2004, 8:00 pm
Sounds like a great idea and I have enjoyed that kind of game time in a large numbers of games. However Michal would have to implement a choose where you want to respawn system and the game mode might go to waste on this comunity.

Vijchtidoodah
December 12, 2004, 8:02 pm
Those are some interesting ideas which could actually be very fun.

However, the main problem that I see with these towers needing to recieve damage is that someone could easily jet up high and spray all of the towers with tons of damage from just one minigun.

Svirin Kerath
December 12, 2004, 8:10 pm
kkazican: you wouldn't choose where you spawn, you spawn randomly within your territory.

Vijch...

notice how some weapons will have no effect on the towers. the only reason minigun is allowed is because realistically, it could damage a structure. the building will basically be like a big player, except it doesn't move. however, it can change colors, or in the other scenario, be destroyed.

however, that gives me an other idea... only explosive weapons will do normal damage against a tower, i.e. M79, grenades, LAW. other weapons, the minigun, minimi, etc, will do a fraction of the normal damage.

and i thought about this. another ability of the builder would be to upgrade a tower. this would take a while, but if they work on a tower, they can increase its hitpoints and defense against weapons. obviously, it couldn't become indestructable, or too hard to destroy.

the builder could also build walls around the tower,w hich would also have hitpoints. since i don't think jets would be good for this mode, they'd have to destroy the wall first. that might get too hard, but i'm just putting ideas out.

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 12, 2004, 10:04 pm
I think the problem with "Building" anything in the game, would be that the engine would have to be completely redone to just spawn Polygons out of nowhere, and it's gonna take alot of work to do.

Also, according to you, with the servers we have now, we'll almost never get over 20 players, so its going to be not all that fun in the end.

Svirin Kerath
December 13, 2004, 1:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Leo Da LunerfoxI think the problem with "Building" anything in the game, would be that the engine would have to be completely redone to just spawn Polygons out of nowhere, and it's gonna take alot of work to do.

Also, according to you, with the servers we have now, we'll almost never get over 20 players, so its going to be not all that fun in the end.

if you look at what i've said, it'll function more as a bot than anything. for the time being, polys are industructable. while alright, perhaps, for the color-change type, it wouldn't work in the type where it can be destroyed (the one i personally like better). so it's best if it's more of an immovable, physical, bot. normal soldiers take damage and die-that's basically what the tower'll do until it's rebuilt.

as for the second thing. if it doesn't draw more people, then there's an easy solution: make the maps smaller.

Marine
December 13, 2004, 3:24 am
How about...

Blue and Red each start out with about 20% of the map. In this 20% is a tower, a stat gun and a bunker (all put together somehow). Around the bunker is your spawn point.

Across the map, there are a number of fortifications similar to these. A a tower-like bunker with a stat gun and spawn points around it.

Your goal: To capture every tower on the map.

To capture a tower, you have to enter the bunker, and hit a switch (simply by running into it or something. This brings the fort under your control.

Another thing: You can only use stat guns that your team owns. For Neutral stat guns, either everyone can use them or no one. You guys choose.

Also: Each tower has a spawn point, and this gives you more locations to spawn at, therefore giving you closer access to frontline, and therefore less walking.
This is the basic idea. If you take over all enemy and neutral fortifications to become yours, you win, next map.

Well, whadya think?

(decided to post here, I read your thread wrong first time :\)

Svirin Kerath
December 13, 2004, 3:32 am
it's ok. you realized it and rectified it. we could not ask any more of you. ^_^

you know /my/ opinion on the matter. it's true, it would need more complicated programming, but i'm confident it'd be pretty damn cool, and that the required programming wouldn't be too much more complicated than soldat already is.

Blackdeath
December 13, 2004, 4:38 am
I agree with svirin yes it's be a nice addition but there are more pressing issues that need to be addressed.

Svirin Kerath
December 13, 2004, 10:19 pm
i'm hoping it's more than a "nice addition".. it'll bring a lot of new things to the game, and open up new possibilities, while keeping the theme and general feeling intact. plus, aren't suggestions like these what the "suggestions" part is for?