( search forums )
IR Goggles
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Oliver Stannus
December 13, 2004, 1:05 am
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before... I couldn't see past C on the alphabectical listing.

I suggest a alternative vision mode symbolising Infra-Red Goggles so that a player could press a button and be able to see the normal combat area with the addition of red thermal highlighting of players. This would make tracking down campers and hiders easier, with a touch of realism. Of course the goggles would have to have limitations do discourage their continous use (such as blurred or coloured vision, or limited mobility when using goggles or binoculars), but they would still be handy.

I know that this is not an impossible suggestion, considering it only involves the colouration of screen such as in the predator mode, and the highlighting of players which would be possible using an auxillary set of gfx (where torso is orange, limbs are red, and extremities are dull blue).

There might even be some sort of counter-system involving flares or at the very least, residual grenade heat.

There are two options for implementation - either it could be a button assigned action like throwing a grenade or a secondary weapon. In either manner, it could chosen not to be included in a server; much as many weapons are depending on the tastes of the host. Though this idea is not new to many games, I have not seen it seriously discussed as an option for a new weapon in Soldat.

Svirin Kerath
December 13, 2004, 1:08 am
i'm pretty sure this has been suggested before. it's nice, but not necessary.

peemonkey
December 13, 2004, 1:59 am
this has been suggested, and turned down a couple times. it's just not really something that fits in with soldat :/ (if you dont know, there's a search function on the forums, and some of us [mainly me] are real assholes about using it, so you might wanna check there before posting ideas)

FliesLikeABrick
December 13, 2004, 2:12 am
this would be a good idea to be used for the predator bonus instead of the red filter. it would make a lot more sense too, given the basis for the predator movies

Marine
December 13, 2004, 2:22 am
I'd like if this was a default for predator, possibly a powerup, I don't know...

Blackdeath
December 14, 2004, 3:19 am
yeah like once you get predator instead of you seeing your guy going near invisible you see a like the predator did in the movie where everyone is a bright colour or something. While of course still being invisible to everyone else.

Alamo
December 14, 2004, 11:12 am
yeah... as a weapon or something it would suck badly (i know, so do vacuum cleaners)
but as an addition to the pred... cool!

mar77a
December 14, 2004, 12:07 pm
Maybe taking out the invisible thing, but turning you into a god, like in "Flame God" bonus...And of course the Infra-Red Goggles....

Alamo
December 14, 2004, 12:35 pm
nooo
invisible + goggles = pred... :)

kkazican
December 14, 2004, 10:08 pm
I think in pred he should be harder to see and instead everytime he throws a grenade/shoots a weapon there is a temporary displacement in his light reflecting suit and he becomes visible as a flickery soldier.