( search forums )
What's all this talk about a shield?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Keron Cyst
December 17, 2004, 1:32 am
Before you start criticizing me, I already tried to use the forum search; it keeps coming up with a server error :-?

So...?

Hitman
December 17, 2004, 1:34 am
THERE IS NO SHIELD, IT WAS JUST SOME STUPID RUMAR THAT THE BETA TESTERS MADE UP!!

Elephant_Hunter
December 17, 2004, 1:58 am
quote:THERE IS NO SHIELD, IT WAS JUST SOME STUPID RUMAR THAT THE BETA TESTERS MADE UP!!
Hahaha! Right... just like the bullet time and bink effect?
Don't let hitman mess with you, Keron.

Pulp
December 17, 2004, 2:02 am
It's an option for registered users, Keron.

Go register yourself, only 9 dollar. :)

Cookie.
December 17, 2004, 3:01 am
The shield is not all its cracked up to be... the bullets still pierce it at close range and a barret bullet almost always goes right through... best save your secondary for a law or soccom me thinks

Psyker
December 17, 2004, 3:03 am
shields are for whores

Cookie.
December 17, 2004, 3:14 am
Its the worst tho when you have a barreter prop up a shield and camp behind it.. they can stick there gun right through and still acts as a shield... the simple method to thwart them tho is by throwing a grenade...

ubiquity
December 17, 2004, 3:15 am
well
as for what i think,
it WAS in the beta test, but u people must understand that beta tests are actually tests...
I guess the stupid shield just didnt pass it.
Prolly cuz if was going against the philosophy of soldat which is to run as fast as u can and shoot the fastest possible, everything.
come to think about it
maybe thats why barret is so freaking gay

frogboy
December 17, 2004, 5:10 am
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunterquote:THERE IS NO SHIELD, IT WAS JUST SOME STUPID RUMAR THAT THE BETA TESTERS MADE UP!!

Actually, the bullet time and ricochet "rumours" were a way of confusing the community further when it came out, because Chakra thought nobody would believe it. Although, as ubiquity here has proved, people will believe anything. The shield wasn't in the beta test, it was a polygon with scenery in front of it on an edited b2b.

Cookie.
December 17, 2004, 5:16 am
why must you spoil my sick and twisted fun every time... im going to bed :(

Keron Cyst
December 17, 2004, 6:06 am
... I now regret forming this thread.

Elephant_Hunter
December 17, 2004, 6:21 am
Frogboy, you have absolutely no sense of humour.

Sprocket
December 17, 2004, 11:32 am
i'd like to see a shield in soldat..

Deleted User
December 17, 2004, 11:39 am
quote:Originally posted by Sprocketi'd like to see a shield in soldat..

You would regret saying that after playing soldat with a shield, honestly it will annoy the [IMAGE] out of you. The ones In CS is really annoying, you just cannot kill anyone with it, untill they shoot at you.

Chakra
December 17, 2004, 11:47 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunterquote:THERE IS NO SHIELD, IT WAS JUST SOME STUPID RUMAR THAT THE BETA TESTERS MADE UP!!

Chakra thought nobody would believe it. Although, as ubiquity here has proved, people will believe anything. The shield wasn't in the beta test, it was a polygon with scenery in front of it on an edited b2b.

Yeah sorry about that. I made a thread about real things being added to the new Soldat in hope people would dismiss it, then go "oh my god, he wasn't lieing!" when it finally arrived. Unfortunately people believed it anyway (who could believe bullet time?!) so we added crap to confuse people and add to the doubt, namely the shield, among other things.

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=17611

check it out, it's a laugh.

DeMonIc
December 17, 2004, 1:03 pm
It was funny, I came back from vacation, and checked out that thread...I was like "wtf" when LazehBoi told me I'm a beta tester :DDD

frogboy
December 17, 2004, 1:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_HunterFrogboy, you have absolutely no sense of humour.

Exactly.

Deleted User
December 17, 2004, 1:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunterquote:THERE IS NO SHIELD, IT WAS JUST SOME STUPID RUMAR THAT THE BETA TESTERS MADE UP!!

Actually, the bullet time and ricochet "rumours" were a way of confusing the community further when it came out, because Chakra thought nobody would believe it. Although, as ubiquity here has proved, people will believe anything. The shield wasn't in the beta test, it was a polygon with scenery in front of it on an edited b2b.

*collider
Btw, I edited the map and made the shield gfx. :P

Melba
December 17, 2004, 2:56 pm
the pinball was l33tly made! totall awesome!

b00stA
December 18, 2004, 10:19 am
Hehe, thanks.
It was a bug from Soldat 1.2 RC2 using the LAW and /mercy

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2004, 4:55 pm
Oh, okay.

This thread can be locked now...

DT
December 18, 2004, 6:37 pm
the next version though... the shield mght be thier [IMAGE]

Keron Cyst
December 19, 2004, 2:47 am
What're the plans on the shield, then?
I think it as well should be a "weapon" in the list that appears upon (re)spawning and only one-handed weapons should be able to use it, like the first two Secondaries (since the other hand is needed to hold up the shield). It should be able to crack after a while. Also, its withdrawing and depositing animations should be long so that it'll be more balanced, and it should only be used in a crouched (maybe prone?...) state. User shouldn't be able to turn around.
... well, fine, allow that, but only his gun-equipped hand; the shield should still be facing its original direction.
Or has a procedure for the Shield already been created and all this typing was in vain? :-P

b00stA
December 19, 2004, 12:15 pm
There is no shield and there never WERE ANY PLANS FOR A SHIELD.

I hope it will never get implemented. It would just slow down the gameplay.

Keron Cyst
December 19, 2004, 5:33 pm
Well, I think it could give a strategical boost to the offensive team in Infiltration...

Kazuki
December 19, 2004, 5:57 pm
The same was said for Counter-Strike, but most CS servers don't allow shields anymore. Wonder why... ;)

Elephant_Hunter
December 19, 2004, 6:35 pm
quote:Wonder why... ;)
Because CS players are morons?

Vassili_Zaitsev
December 20, 2004, 2:17 am
quote:Originally posted by PulpIt's an option for registered users, Keron.

Go register yourself, only 9 dollar. :)

i registered, i cant see any shield! what are you on about?

Keron Cyst
December 20, 2004, 7:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Vassili_Zaitsev... i registered, i cant see any shield! what are you on about?

Oh, c'mon X-D He was joking and simply trying to encourage me to register :-P

Vassili_Zaitsev
December 20, 2004, 7:52 am
lol i realized that now...:P i feel a little stupid now :P

DT
December 20, 2004, 3:27 pm
well when you register 3 times...and then 3rd reg key will have the command that spawns the key hidden in it... and to figure it out you have to copy every 4 letters/numbers and unscrable them to make the command

Keron Cyst
December 20, 2004, 5:27 pm

b00stA
December 21, 2004, 12:43 pm
DT, you don't have to try to be funny.

Locked.