( search forums )
Ctf_Mineshaft
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 7:45 am
If you have any suggestions for improvements or you've found any polybugs be sure to tell me so that I can fix them as soon as possible.

Size: Medium
Waypointed: Yes (thanks to Sliker_Hawk)
Type: CTF

ctf_Mineshaft

Overview
[IMAGE]

If you think that it is good enough to put on a server, go ahead (but tell me so that I can check it out).
And if you want to change it at all, be sure to tell me your ideas first.

Hopefully I've fixed all of the bugs, it turns out that Sliker_Hawk did waypoint the right version, but most of the scenery moved to the upper left portion of the map.

Update: I updated this map for the map competition. It seems that I recently editted this post, but when I checked out the download link today, it pointed to an old version of the map. So, here's the newest version for you - I fixed certain bugs and added scenery to make it look much more realistic.

josheat
December 18, 2004, 7:49 am
thats really nice! its a big job to waypoint that map. I like the little light effects! that are cool as.

That map would look sick on the lolmod. 9/10

Just looked at it in mapeditor, man u used alot of polys! the wood posts are very nicely done, and it is a really cool layout. although i would suggest just a LITTLE bit more jet juice. i like this map alot, very well done there.

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 8:25 am
Thanks josheat!

I tested out the jets quite a bit and I found that I liked this low setting very much because it doesn't allow you to jet to the very top quickly, but it gives you a great deal of manueverability and speed.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right, I increased the jets by 20. If you think it should be more just let me know.

josheat
December 18, 2004, 8:33 am
yeah i figured that too, its ok if you put it into that perspective. how long did it take you to make this map? it seems like there was alot of effort put in

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 8:38 am
I'm not sure, I worked on it on and off for about a week or two. Then I spent a ton of time fixing polybugs, texture and shading problems, and tweaking certain aspects of the map.

So...I suppose about two hours a day for about three weeks.

EDIT: Alright, after much consideration into the matter (and a bit of testing) I have decided that when the jets are set at 150 they are almost perfect. What do you think?

Deleted User
December 18, 2004, 10:30 am
That is a really good map! :) how long have you been mapping?

Rambo_6
December 18, 2004, 7:20 pm
I think that the tunnels could use a transparent blank scenery or 2, but otherwise this would make a good CTF map for large games! gj!

karmazon
December 18, 2004, 7:25 pm
Nice, really nice, very good job

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 8:13 pm
Thanks guys!

Stalky, this is my third map.

Rambo 6, I tried transparent scenery and it ended up looking like total crap. Instead, I changed the backround colors so that up top it's relatively bright but down in the lower tunnels it's pretty dark.

peemonkey
December 18, 2004, 9:44 pm
looks really really good. 11/11!!! this should be in someone's map rotation.

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 9:47 pm
Thanks peemonkey, I can't wait until someone decides to put it in their rotation.

grand_diablo
December 18, 2004, 10:04 pm
dibo.kicks-ass.net 23078

when not passworded, its public, and your map is in the rotation ;)

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 10:12 pm
Awesome! Unfortunately, I was just about to change the amount of jets again...but that can wait while I test it out on that server.

EDIT: Hmm, nobody seems to be on, most likely because the server rarely shows up when you push the request button. So I went ahead and changed the jets.

Michal
December 18, 2004, 10:49 pm
Beautiful map, 10/10.
My only tiny problem is the lightness of the wood on either side of the middle chamber, it stands out a bit too much. But otherwise: good layout, good scenery placement, nice shading and color choices.

BTW, which editor did you use to make this?

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 10:55 pm
MapMakerPlus by Mark.jp, and thanks for the advice...I'll check it out and see what I can do.

grand_diablo
December 18, 2004, 10:58 pm
nah, that noone was on resulted from starting the server just some minutes ago, since it was down for a few days due to technical probs.

Hitman
December 18, 2004, 11:05 pm
Wow! This map looks awesome. I love the way you make it seem as though light were coming through the hole on the top. Great job.

10/10

Vijchtidoodah
December 18, 2004, 11:17 pm
Thanks Hitman.

Michal, I don't see the need to darken the wood, it looks fine to me. If someone else asks, though, I'll be sure to change it.

josheat
December 19, 2004, 1:18 am
now that the backgrounds lighter, it looks much better ;)

Pulp
December 19, 2004, 3:52 pm
Looks good...I'll add it to the mapslist of my server..later on this evening...some cow is calving right now...

edit: hmm, map got some scenery problems on my server... what scenery is used in the middle of the map ( that lonely tree over there ), i got white boxes instead of the tree and the scenery nearby the tree...

mariachi
December 19, 2004, 4:05 pm
Sweet map m8!
Finally a map where having loads of players wont be just a bloodbath. (that opinion based by just watching the above picture though, cant wait to play it.)

Vijchtidoodah
December 19, 2004, 11:33 pm
It's all default scenery except for the lights. Could you post a picture so I can see what's up?

Alamo
December 20, 2004, 12:13 am
Oh sweet! That's a great map... *download*

Vijchtidoodah
December 20, 2004, 9:38 am
Is anyone else experiencing the problems that Pulp had?

Kazuki
December 20, 2004, 7:41 pm
Great job on the map. It sort of looks like you combined all the default maps, (Maya, Laos, B2b, etc) and made it one huge place. Gj.

Pulp
December 20, 2004, 9:27 pm
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

Probably the scenery folder on my server is screwed up, cause it's downloading more than just the 'lights'-file when you're auto-downloading the map.

Vijchtidoodah
December 20, 2004, 10:22 pm
I had the same problem when I ran the game on a server, but nobody complained that they couldn't see the scenery...they just downloaded a bunch like fence and grass...

Hmm...I hope it isn't a problem with the mapmaker.

Did the game give you a message telling you what scenery you were missing?

Skate4Razors
December 20, 2004, 10:25 pm
I think that just means you don't have the scenery, I don't think it effects everyone, I wish I could help :/

Vijchtidoodah
December 20, 2004, 10:28 pm
If anyone else had downloaded the map, can you tell me whether you get the same problem or not?

Kazuki
December 21, 2004, 1:01 am
Hmm, I got an access violation when I tried starting a game with that map. It might be that I need to restart or that I need to shut down the dedicated server, but I'll figure that out later.

Vijchtidoodah
December 21, 2004, 1:22 am
Well, it looks like it's just grass2 and tree7 that are screwing up...I'll bet some ass screwed with the scenery on his map and then I ended up downloading it. There should be different folders for default scenery and custom.

_Mancer_
December 21, 2004, 1:28 am
Absolutly beautiful map. 20/10

Vijchtidoodah
December 21, 2004, 1:32 am
Thanks Mancer!

Well, Pulp, I think the problem is purely yours. I downloaded soldat into a different directory and only put in the lights scenery and my map and it worked perfectly.

Pulp
December 21, 2004, 1:59 am
Well, yeah, the map works when i'm playing it in singleplayer mode ... should make me some new scenery folder, once ...

Deleted User
December 21, 2004, 4:25 pm
wow =O
this map looks awsome, ill d/l and check it out =)
for as far as i can tell now,, already a 9/10

mar77a
December 21, 2004, 5:00 pm
The textures and poly/bg colors remind me to another map....

(http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=18728)

Lol, no offense..

Rambo_6
December 22, 2004, 1:22 am
If you want, I could do some cave backgrounds. I promise it will look good :)

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 6:59 am
If you want to, rambo, but I'm not sure that I would want use them, or that I wouldn't get all pissed off as they went in front of my other scenery despite the fact that I checked the 'behind everything' box.

Umm, yeah, so if you don't mind the possibility that your work might be in vain, it would be cool.

Rambo_6
December 22, 2004, 7:10 am
Did you make most of your other scenery 'behind everything'?

That would pose a problem to me...

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 7:17 am
Hmm...actually, I think that only the rope for the lights and the col4 in each base is behind everything...you know what, don't even bother. But thanks a lot for the offer.

Avarax
December 22, 2004, 11:21 am
just played it on pro lamerz server, nice gameplay, nice looks, nice 9/10 cause it has like too many ways :P

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 10:02 pm
It has now been waypointed by Sliker_Hawk. So if you like playing with yourself you can, just don't go blind.

Hitman
December 22, 2004, 10:38 pm
OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!

Rambo_6
December 22, 2004, 11:20 pm
Ew.

Cool map, even without caveage scenery.

Vijchtidoodah
December 24, 2004, 12:24 am
I appears that somehow Sliker_Hawk managed to download and waypoint an older version of my map. So I fixed the problem and the missing scenery and stuff is now back where it should be.

Sorry for the little inconvenience, but the map looks a bit better now.

fk3241
May 31, 2005, 9:48 pm
bad link

(again sorry for bringing bad old posts)

Vijchtidoodah
June 1, 2005, 2:07 am
Fixed.

In the future, if you have any problems, PM me.

Sliker_Hawk
June 2, 2005, 1:28 pm
.. Well did I waypoint the right version or what? I dunno how I could've downloaded an old version

(sorry for the bump, it's not that old)

Vijchtidoodah
June 2, 2005, 10:46 pm
I think the wrong version was waypointed, but I somehow fixed it...I don't know, it's been a while.

hock3y
June 4, 2005, 1:35 am
The only bad part is the bots dont go up top :(

PreeGo
July 8, 2005, 9:32 pm
It look's really good, also for CW#347; and so and