( search forums )
about opera
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
palloco
December 19, 2004, 5:23 pm
I had just seen the latest release of opera 7.6 and I am greatly surprised. They had solutioned many problems. I almost would even say it is better than Firefox. It only needs the extension support like Firefox has and would be better.

Alamo
December 19, 2004, 5:24 pm
ok...

Hitman
December 19, 2004, 5:35 pm
..are you talking about the beta of 7.6? Cause as far as I know, 7.6 hasn't been officially released...

peemonkey
December 19, 2004, 6:16 pm
well what's new with it?

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 8:50 pm
7.6 is still at alpha/preview stage (currently preview 4), it is not finished and should be used only by people who want to test it and send bug reports. Spreading it among end-users before it's finished may bring more bad than good. 7.54u1 is the last official (stable) version.

Of course I think Opera is better than FF. I'm not saying FF is a bad browser, not at all. But it's overhyped and overrated.

Internet Exploiter used to be good in the XX century, but now it's the worst crap. It shouldn't be even considered as a competitor.

palloco
December 19, 2004, 9:07 pm
IE was bad in century XX. I still remeber I had opera 3 in my 486 for some reason.

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 9:18 pm
Damn you Palloco.
I have deleted the last 2 lines already... and I had to retype it again.

peemonkey
December 19, 2004, 9:34 pm
IE is comlplete [IMAGE] off arg kill kill kill!
Oprah pwns.

Jaz
December 19, 2004, 9:43 pm
wtf is the difference.

Melba
December 19, 2004, 9:43 pm
aquarius, should i change to 7.54u1, or should i just stick with the 7.53 i got now ?

peemonkey
December 19, 2004, 9:53 pm
first off, wtf is new???? >:(

Hitman
December 19, 2004, 9:55 pm
7.54u1 is a security update, so yes Melba, you should 'change' (upgrade).

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 10:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyfirst off, wtf is new???? >:(

- voice browsing
- fit page to width
- simplified default UI
- inline error pages
- start bar with topten button (simple but genius)
- popup notifier
- and a lot of other improvements in...
- smaller installation file

I think there will be a beta version soon.

Hitman
December 19, 2004, 10:43 pm
Dont't forget the new version works with Gmail :D

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 10:46 pm
I didn't forget it. It's in the other improvements ;)

karmazon
December 19, 2004, 10:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius- voice browsing

How does it work ? Do you just say "go to soldat.pl" and it goes there or what ?

Alamo
December 19, 2004, 10:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by karmazonquote:Originally posted by Aquarius- voice browsing

How does it work ? Do you just say "go to soldat.pl" and it goes there or what ?

If yes... I will sod FF and get Opera :)

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 10:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by karmazonquote:Originally posted by Aquarius- voice browsing

Yes, something like that. But in reality it's not as handy as using your mouse or keybord in most situations. I guess it is more usefull on handheld devices or for disabled people.

Besides, you have to speak english. Opera may also read text on the websites, but only english again. It is also possible to browse XHTML+Voice websites. It looks like a dialogue between you and a webpage. For example you may order a pizza. But there is only a few XTHML+Voice pages right now, mostly for testing :) It's a cutting-edge technology.

So for most people it's just a funny feature, nothing for every day use.

BMF
December 19, 2004, 11:03 pm
I used to use Opera, and then it stopped working for some reason. It's too big dude, they have so much useless crap in there. Firefox is good enough for me

less is more

Hitman
December 19, 2004, 11:08 pm
Not in your case ;)

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 11:10 pm
Well, Opera takes only 3.5 MB, much less than FF. It also has faster interface, because FF uses XUL, which is very slow. So, Opera is lighter than FF, though it has much more features out of the box. So I guess you are right, less is more :)

What is "useless crap"? Could you be a bit more specific? You may turn off or hide every feature in Opera easily, it's a matter of customization.

If you think that the less features the better, than maybe you should download webpages on you HD first and then read them in the Notepad.

Speaking about "bloat", here is a nice comparision of Opera 7.6 and Firefox:
http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/o7/firefox/

BMF
December 20, 2004, 12:01 am
I dunno, I used Opera, and I used Firefox. Opera just stopped connecting after a week or so. No idea why. Firefox works good for me, it's better than EI. And no retarded banners like in Opera.

Milkman Dan
December 20, 2004, 12:06 am
NOOOO!! leave internet explorer alone! Its done nothing wrong but be the best damn browser ever!!

peemonkey
December 20, 2004, 12:10 am
i have no banners with oprah...you can customize the [IMAGE] out of it. and ANYTHING is better than EI. even having no browser at all :P

BMF
December 20, 2004, 1:00 am
dude anything is better than IE lol

Aquarius
December 20, 2004, 1:11 am
that's what he said...

Elephant_Hunter
December 20, 2004, 3:26 am
I use Firefox because it's the most secure browser. IE and windows are more common than all competing software. They will always be the primary target of hacks and virii.

Aquarius
December 20, 2004, 8:53 am
I agree that Firefox is secure, but calling it "the most secure browser!" is typical abuse of Firefox fan.

Currently Firefox has 3 unpatched security holes, and 1 partially patched. More than Opera.
http://secunia.com/product/4227/

Besides, extensions are a potential security issue. Extension is a third party script changing your browser. It may do good things, but it may do bad things as well. It may look like it do good things, but it may do something bad "under the hood". It's just a matter of time when the malicious extenstions will appear. Opera doesn't rely on any third party extensions, everything is done by one, trustworthy company. And in this case, Opera is more secure too.

I'm not saying that FF is unsecure, I just don't agree with "the most secure browser!" propaganda. Both Opera and Firefox are much more secure than IE.

palloco
December 20, 2004, 11:11 am
The most secure browser is Lynx

frogboy
December 20, 2004, 11:46 am
quote:Originally posted by AquariusCurrently Firefox has 3 unpatched security holes, and 1 partially patched. More than Opera.
http://secunia.com/product/4227/

One more than Opera, however the extra one is partially patched. Out of Opera's unpatched security holes, two are moderate, and one is less critical. Out of firefox's, one is moderate, and two are less critical.
http://secunia.com/product/761/

And with extensions, it may be possible, but it's not been done, and as such can't be seen as a serious security risk at this time.

Aquarius
December 20, 2004, 12:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyOne more than Opera, however the extra one is partially patched. Out of Opera's unpatched security holes, two are moderate, and one is less critical. Out of firefox's, one is moderate, and two are less critical.
http://secunia.com/product/761/
Partially is not enough when we speak about security. Besides, the oldest hole in FF is not patched since 2004-08-30, while the oldest hole in Opera is not patched since 2004-10-20, two months of difference.

Anyway, I only proved that FF is not more secure than Opera. And certainly it's not "the most secure browser" at all.

BTW, when we speak about security, usually an user is the weakest link, not a browser. Unless the browser is IE, which has 20 securiry holes, most of them actively exploited by viruses, spyware, dialers and all the crap.

BManx2000
December 21, 2004, 12:46 am
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyi have no banners with oprah...you can customize the [IMAGE] out of it. and ANYTHING is better than EI. even having no browser at all :P

You can browse the internet with a talk show host?

AerialAssault
December 21, 2004, 12:52 am
i use internet explorer. its compatible with everything. i like IE, its simple and easy to use. hee.

Aquarius
December 21, 2004, 1:07 am
It's not even compatible with my avatar [IMAGE]

N1nj@
December 22, 2004, 3:57 am
yes it is

Aquarius
December 22, 2004, 8:29 am
No, it's not. IE can't render alpha transparency in PNG graphics.

It's a web standard approved in 1996. All modern graphical web browsers can do it properly.

Moreover IE can't render a lot of other things, because it has _very_ poor CSS support, which is a pain in a55 for web designers.