( search forums )
Propagation of the One Shot Kill
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Vijchtidoodah
December 20, 2004, 9:14 am
One shot kill weapons are so frustrating because the shooter only has to hit you once, while you have to keep your aim steady for half a clip. I was just on a CTF server, at the end of one round I was shocked to see that out of 30 kills only one was from a weapon that didn't kill in one shot.

It's not just noobs anymore, it's the players that I used to think were experienced. Is there some mysterious force that's compelling people who normally yell out "Barretard" and "Camper" to become the victim of their own scorn? What has become of our long standing virtues that a grizzled soldat veteran should not stoop to the levels of using only one weapon, and worse, that that weapon is one that kills in one hit?

Boris
December 20, 2004, 9:47 am
meh wat ya gonna do

Whoo first post on this crappy topic

Hercule Poirot
December 20, 2004, 10:03 am
bleh stop making these useless topics and stop star hunting -.-

:PPPPPPP

LazehBoi
December 20, 2004, 10:41 am
I thought that too, actually. I think that with the barret (and slightly with the M79) comes the satisfaction and sort of "impulse" excitement when you kill in one hit.

Boris: your avatar is waaaaay too big mate ;o

m00`
December 20, 2004, 10:48 am
boris ur avatar is 900+ kb ;/

Denacke
December 20, 2004, 11:15 am
[IMAGE] it, and i don't have much bandwith left either, ppl all remove your avatars ;O

palloco
December 20, 2004, 11:20 am
yah, Boris is breaking rules and hugoku too, even after changing his sig, ban them

Alamo
December 20, 2004, 1:11 pm
These stupid ... well anyway. While I still had a traffic limit I stopped surfing the forums because of this dumb huge avatar [IMAGE]... But now I have a flatrate... :)

I hate one-shot one kill weapons.

Jaz
December 20, 2004, 1:16 pm
I hate spray weapons that [IMAGE] up my aim and shoot me when im not even in their screen.

Deleted User
December 20, 2004, 1:26 pm
just remember that its as hard for you as it is for them. Just find an alternative way to kill them

Jaz
December 20, 2004, 1:40 pm
No, its not. All they have to do is face me and because there bullets are faster they win all the time. Being an assaulter is made near impossible. m79 shots are very dodgeable and easy to avoid. So the loop isn't so useful.

Deleted User
December 20, 2004, 1:55 pm
not really, one easy m79 shot would kill them, Its happened alot of times, Wehn I tty to face them head on I usually get a face full of m79, then I have the m79 I usually fill there face with m79

Jaz
December 20, 2004, 2:10 pm
You talk shat though. All the people who say oh my god the m79 is easy now is because you play against the wrong people.

BManx2000
December 21, 2004, 12:34 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`boris ur avatar is 900+ kb ;/

frogboy
December 21, 2004, 1:45 am
Am I the only one who doesn't get affected by M79 bink? Is it some sort of special skill I've managed to somehow develop over a month? Who the hell runs into auto fire anyway?

The Barret is worse to deal with... bink is worse, it has a longer reload, everyone who relied on it for close range combat has to switch or use it for camping, both of which take time to get used to.

LazehBoi
December 21, 2004, 3:23 am
I don't seem to run into fire either. I think the fact that the M79 curves and the fact that on a CTF map, maybe because I can surprise people by coming from above/below while they're busy with someone else. Or something. I just suck with the M79 to use it much in DM, so I have no idea.

The Geologist
December 21, 2004, 3:43 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyAm I the only one who doesn't get affected by M79 bink? Is it some sort of special skill I've managed to somehow develop over a month? Who the hell runs into auto fire anyway?

You're not alone. But don't tell any of those disgruntled M79ers.

Psyker
December 21, 2004, 4:27 am
i hate guns

DeMo
December 21, 2004, 4:27 am
Yet another weapon thread... sigh...

I've used the Steyr all my life.
Just now I started to train with the Barret and I'm loving it.

quote:One shot kill weapons are so frustrating because the shooter only has to hit you once, while you have to keep your aim steady for half a clip.~

Every weapon has it's advantages and disadvantages.
You have to keep your aim steady with an auto.. true. Pick a Barret or a M79, you only have 1 shot to hit a moving target that's spraying your face with a hundred bullets and you also have to deal with the [IMAGE]ing bink. One more thing.. you miss and you're probably dead.

So don't say it takes no skill to use a Barret or a M79.
I was a Steyr user and now I'm a Barret user, and I say it takes as much skill as to use an auto.

Vijchtidoodah
December 21, 2004, 4:32 am
DeMo, in a game where the main facet of it is to shoot and kill, do you really expect that weapons aren't going to be discussed at all?

I never said that it takes no skill to use the barret or the M79, in fact your post doesn't really have anything to do with the question that I asked: why have people suddenly become obsessed with one shot kill weapons?

zimmy
December 21, 2004, 4:38 am
Eh, wut a stupid topic. Most complain about the one-shot-kill weapons and everybody else complains about the bink. No matter how the versions change, somebody's always gonna be pissed off about something. Instead of posting a topic hear, fire a rocket with the law in their face, the great thing about camping is that after they kill you, you know where they are! While I can see how it might be just a little iritating in DM games, I play CTF, and it balances out great there cause campers cant cap flags(how's THAT for alliteration!). As unfun as getting killed by baretteers over and over again is, in the end, its fair, they're not doing anything to break the rules, they're just playing the game to the best of their ability, instead of [IMAGE]ing at them, it might be a good idea to think about ways to combat them. I hear this new bink thing is great at that.

Vijchtidoodah
December 21, 2004, 4:47 am
"Eh, wut a stupid topic."
What a stupid post, this isn't a weapons balance thread.

Mr. Domino
December 21, 2004, 12:04 pm
I use the M79 primarily since I only play Capture the Flag on the public servers, and I find it perfect for doing damage and causing confusion to grab/return along with the nice jump ability. I do hate when people survive the hit though, since even though you did everything right with your attack, you're stuck without an immediate weapon and will likely die without retaliation.

For Death Match, I think the M79 isn't worth anything, especially with the lack of a truly guaranteed kill and all the negative traits the weapon brings with it. Maybe it's just me, but I find my weapon choice depends on the type of game and stage I'm playing on. For instance, rushing with a Barret on the Volcano stage seems to be a pretty dumb idea to me.

Zero Wiggles Murasame
December 21, 2004, 9:14 pm
I guess. each weapon has it's weaknesses and can be stopped using the proper method. I use machine guns, and ...barrets, deagles and rugers stop me. sadly.

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 6:24 am
Domino, you should use different weapons and tactics for each level, it's not just you. Also, if you don't like the fact that the M79 doesn't always instantly kill, why don't you equip a socom as your secondary and fill them full of holes?

Oh, and what volcano map are you talking about?

Ein
December 22, 2004, 10:23 am
barret = more skill than semi/automatics.

yes, let's spray bullets in the general direction of the enemy, because that's skill.

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 10:29 am
Here's where I disagree like a mother[IMAGE]er. Mostly because I picked up the barret my first time playing soldat (as most noobs do) and ruled with it. Not because I had some inherent skill that I tapped into and was able to shoot with precision, but because I only had to hit my opponent once to kill him.

On the other hand, it took me quite a while to learn how to kill multiple people in a short span of time with limited bullets and spray to worry about while moving around with an auto. Although this process has been simplified somewhat with the advent of the powerful mini, it still takes quite some skill to pull off the difficult use of an auto. More skill than is required to point and hit once from a distance so far away that the person you hit can't even see you.

Ein
December 22, 2004, 10:40 am
Hm, being shot from offscreen is kind of lame. That's the problem that comes with the 2d viewpoint.

Constant camping, no...but, moving/assaulting with the barret is fine imo though. I like to do it sometimes with the socom 2ndary; I find it works quite well for me.

Avarax
December 22, 2004, 11:26 am
boris your avatar rox.

i dont complain about barret anymore since 1.21 :P