( search forums )
The Ruger
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Jello
December 21, 2004, 12:24 am
Recently I saw some guy totally own a server with a ruger, and he sort of inspired me. So for the past few days I've been honing my Ruger skills, and I must say it's a pretty damn good weapon. It's not what you'd call overpowered because it takes skill to use, but if you're good with it it's insane. I am a big Deagles fan, but could never get into the Ruger because I was used to the close range combat common with the Deagles. But after practicing long-range marksmanship for a while, Ruger seems like an amazing gun...damn.
So I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this underrated gun.

Famine
December 21, 2004, 12:27 am
umm it is NOT underrated one bit.

The Geologist
December 21, 2004, 12:29 am
Agreed...ruger owns all. Even the autos..

Chakra
December 21, 2004, 12:32 am
It's a bit of an underdog really. It's a very decent all round weapon that on occasion is considered overpowered by a few.

Alot of peeps seem to believe it's easy also. It's certainly useable, but I don't think I could ever manage to make every shot reliable like some do others.

ubiquity
December 21, 2004, 12:35 am
shut up
with the bink effect ruger cant be use to rush on ennemies anymore. Autos are the real problems now. Someone with a beyon average auto aim is basically unexpected to die against a ruger.

Vijchtidoodah
December 21, 2004, 12:39 am
You probably just think that it's underrated because nobody uses it, but that's just because you only have three shots out of four in order to kill someone (barring a head shot).

Jello
December 21, 2004, 12:41 am
ubiquity: agreed, it can't be used to charge, which was a big discovery for me. It is very effective as a long range gun, however. That was one big misconception of mine that kept me from using the ruger for a while. I would just jump into the fray as if I had an MP5 or something. At that point I would die, subsequently switch to MP5, and jump into the fray again. Ruger takes practice...
And Famine, I suppose underrated isn't really the right word...perhaps underused? Maybe it's used alot on clan servers or something, but on the public servers I play on it's rarely used.

The Geologist
December 21, 2004, 12:46 am
quote:Originally posted by ubiquityshut up
with the bink effect ruger cant be use to rush on ennemies anymore. Autos are the real problems now. Someone with a beyon average auto aim is basically unexpected to die against a ruger.

Don't act so brash. If all you can do is tell people to shut up, don't post here. And while you're at it, edit your post so that you make sense. I have no problem taking down auto users with a ruger, and there are plenty of people who can do the same. Some of the best U13 players use the ruger. If you can't kill with a ruger, that's your problem. Maybe you need to work on the way you "rush" on enemies or the way you use the gun. Did you ever think that different guns might require different stratagies? You have four shots...you have to use them effectively. Learn to shoot from a distance before the auto spray is too bad. Two quick shots and the job is done.

Besides...this isn't an autos thread. Don't turn it into one.

DT
December 21, 2004, 12:48 am
2 shots 4 ammo... shoots super fast... and speed of the bullet is super fast
better then deagles...
deagles take 3-4 shots and has 7 ammo... and shoots fast but the bullet is slow

Jello
December 21, 2004, 12:56 am
The main advantage of Deagles over Ruger is their larger clip size, making them an effective close combat weapon because you rarely have to reload in the middle of a firefight. Ruger's clip size makes it almost impossible for close combat since the clip is just barely enough to kill two people. Ruger is mos' def' not a close combat gun.

DT
December 21, 2004, 12:58 am
... one bullet more... thats a advantage alright...
long range > close combat

Jaz
December 21, 2004, 1:27 am
deagles take 2 to kill or maybe 3 sometimes. Depending on where you hit, rugers the same and they both reload really quick. Weapons in order of skill to use from highest skill at the top to lowest at the bottom:
1. m79-need to learn the loop, reload times etc...takes getting used too and most dont stick with it. Even when u are used to it u get binked, sprayed and camped from 2 screens away so..tread carefully.
2.Spas
3.deagles-for me its really hard to learn
5.barret-its lame when people camp with it etc but when ur assaulting its quite a difficult wep to use.
6.ruger-getting easier, multiple shots etc very strong wep and can learn very quickly.
7.steyr-very fast but not so strong, good against everything but its counterpart autos
8.hk mp5 nice clip, fast and kills anyone short range, strong wep
9.Ak-as strong as minimi in the long run considering speed, accuracy and reload
10.minimi-win any server after a week of playing

Dont think ill add minigun cos anytime i try to use it seriously i get kicked.

The Geologist
December 21, 2004, 1:31 am
Wow, the m-79 is at the top of your list...big shocker. Oh well...you're entitled to your opinions...

_Mancer_
December 21, 2004, 1:35 am
In my personal opinion, I beleive the m79 is the easiest. Its why I dont like it. Whenever I use it, I own with it. And I like a challenge sometimes. <3 Ruger.

.ween
December 21, 2004, 1:46 am
The ruger is a good choice for players looking for a long-range gun that is more forgiving than the barret.
quote:Originally Posted by Jello:
It's not what you'd call overpowered because it takes skill to use, but if you're good with it it's insane.
I don't understand why you said that. If you're good with any of the guns, than it will be "insane" And all of the guns require skill, regardless of your own personal opinions.

Jello
December 21, 2004, 1:50 am
What I'm saying is that some guns require more skill than others. Ruger is one of them. If you're good with ruger, you're damn good. Get it?

Judge_Man
December 21, 2004, 5:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Jaz
10.minimi-win any server after a week of playing

ROFL i like that one!

Geo, what would you put at #1 then?

BMF
December 21, 2004, 5:15 am
For ranged maps, like Viet on top. Ruger is complete pwnage. Its a very powerful gun. In this version it is second to maybe Deagles

This version the best gun is Deagles I think

AerialAssault
December 21, 2004, 5:43 am
with the bink effect, people are gonna have to learn that certain weapons arent good for certain maps. barretts and rugers dominate on large open maps.

Judge_Man
December 21, 2004, 5:54 am
And Autos dominate everywhere, anytime, anyone.

Not that i love autos....

ubiquity
December 21, 2004, 6:12 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologistquote:Originally posted by ubiquityshut up

Don't act so brash. If all you can do is tell people to shut up, don't post here. And while you're at it, edit your post so that you make sense. I have no problem taking down auto users with a ruger, and there are plenty of people who can do the same. Some of the best U13 players use the ruger. If you can't kill with a ruger, that's your problem. Maybe you need to work on the way you "rush" on enemies or the way you use the gun. Did you ever think that different guns might require different stratagies? You have four shots...you have to use them effectively. Learn to shoot from a distance before the auto spray is too bad. Two quick shots and the job is done.

Besides...this isn't an autos thread. Don't turn it into one.

1) ok maybe the shut up wasnt right, i gotta admit it was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw people thinking it was overpowered. Though i thoguht of it as a "friendly" shut up, i never believed it would hurt the feelings of anyone, especially someone who studies rocks.

2) I can aim with ruger. On a good mood, I barely miss with it. I know it is possible to kill an auto, but i believe it is impossible to win mosts of the fights against a skilled aug or ak.

3) If u played with the "best" u13 players, u must've noticed that all they do with their ruger (for the bigger part) is play defense. They are not trying to win the match, they just want better stats so that people can use them in forums later on. I believe that the stats are spoiling u13 mainly cuz of people playing it lame to get an higher rate. But lets not get into this right now.

4)On private servers, in 1.2 everybody was using either deagles or ruger. Now with the new version it is very uncommon to see rugers on small maps while we see many autos, and mostly deagles.
You people seem to forget that not only does deagles have more bllets, they also shoot a bit faster. ( I would check the manual but .. its far..) The arc on deagles, however, makes it hard to kill far ennemies.

5) Jello is cool.

Psyker
December 21, 2004, 6:27 am
so who was the guy that inspired you, jello?

Teh Panda
December 21, 2004, 7:03 am
No , more , weapon-threads! Nononono! General Discussion is filled with weapontopics ffs!

Will
December 21, 2004, 9:13 am
RUGER OWNS!

KeFear
December 21, 2004, 12:06 pm
Okay, ruger is a bit harder nowdays, but i still love it. Most of the time i use it. Of course, not against barret in 1vs1 :P But it mostly good against any weapon. I use it in closecombat too, but it is harder of course, cos it was originally designed for ranged use (against deers, to be more specific :) So, i mainly use ruger, it is good against large number of soldiers in dm, or in ctf for defense and for offense too (yes, it is, but you must learn to be good with it)
Surely, on small maps, autos rule, but you have to learn to use any weapon, cos every player has different styles, uses different weapons, and of course every map needs different tactics.

I aggree that minimi is good for noobs, i tried it on a public server once, i just pushed the fire button, never released it (i said never, even while reloading :P ), and i was in the top 2-3 players. Usually these players can't aim good with any other weapon. When i played against killahBee bots (most of you should know them as Zombies) i used minimi, cos it is good against the mass of the bots. And i can tell you, it really screwd up my aiming skills, i had to practise a lot to get my good aiming back.

So, every weapon now has a "pair", which can be used against it. For example, i mainly use mp5 against barret, thanks to the bink effect it is very effective (if the barreter can't shoot first)

Against ruger, i usually use ruger, but if he is better than me, i use ak, m79 or barret, it depends on the oppoment's style and skill.
Against any other weapon i use ruger.

If there are many auto guns, i prefer ak.

Well, thats my opinion, and now you all can beat me :P

poyi19920624
December 21, 2004, 12:12 pm
Ruger , Desert Eagles, Spas-12 is all similiar and if you like either of them, you will like another. And once again, it depends on your play style. IMO ruger isn't underrated at all. Even though Desert Eagles own ruger in close range (de shoot faster) but ruger is a better overall weapon. The only weapon that ruger really fears are the autos. In 1.2.1, Ruger is affected more by the bink effect so it might be a problem.
Anyway ruger pwns.

KeFear
December 21, 2004, 12:23 pm
Oh yeah, the bink effects ruger too, that can be really annoying.

And for close combat, i use my precious knife :) No other weapon has the power of the knife.

Chakra
December 21, 2004, 1:51 pm
It's not so much that ruger is underated, it's just you rarely see them compared to others. Can't say I know why. They're usually more popular in DM than CTF also, I notice.

BMF
December 21, 2004, 3:24 pm
Well with bink now, if you go face to face against say a HK you gonna lose. So now with Ruger you have to keep your range. It is significantly weaker than it was in previous versions.

DT
December 21, 2004, 4:02 pm
now that i think about it deagles don't have blink... or its to little to affect me...

Taxista
December 21, 2004, 8:21 pm
I think who inspired Jello was porquilho, very good rugerer. :P

[S][K]Taxi

Zero Wiggles Murasame
December 21, 2004, 9:19 pm
I 'm just decent with the ruger, not too good. but I have to say it is a great gun.

Spectral
December 21, 2004, 9:21 pm
tho it is weaker relatively speaking, it's still not a bad gun

Tyrant
December 21, 2004, 10:27 pm
I was never really good with the Ruger 77. It's really one of those hit-or-miss guns, that if you screw up with, your up that certain creek without a paddle. So, I don't really like to use the Ruger. But in reality, the Ruger 77 is one of the best hunting rifles I've ever seen. I prefer the Steyr Aug due to it's all aroud goodness, or the Barrett M82 just because of it's sheer power. The M82 was originally designed to take out armored vehicle engines, due to it's .50 BMG ammunition. And let me tell you, that's a [IMAGE]ing big bullet caliber.

BlackSpear
December 21, 2004, 11:47 pm
just checking back on the forum to see what that site is defaced all about and this ruger thread caught my attention.
everyone who is saying that the ruger sucks in close rage obviously isn't good with it...
becouse in close range aiming with the ruger gets also easier thus making a kill with just 2 shots also easier and you rarely get killed before you can shoot your 2nd shot not counting barrett, m79, knife, law and nade kills, even from close up.
it's a allround good weapon and easy to learn the basics but one of the hardest guns to master. most people use it and see their skills increase rapidly and immediatly claim that it is a easy weapon, but getting to the point that you kill every person with 1 clip of sometimes maybe 2 with 1 takes a LOT of practice.
the thing i like most about the ruger and the main reason why i chose the ruger over the deagles and why i'm a rugeroholic is it's fast reload, it's the fastest reloading gun afther the socom. that allows you to have a verry high average kill rate and almost always being ready for incoming treaths.
though it also isn't a overpowered gun, becouse like i already said, it's hard to master, and the introduction of the blink effect also has a HUGE negative impact on the gun, plus the deagles can shoot a bit faster and 2 shot kills are also verry possible and has a larger clip size and the blink effect is less plus the deagles are easier to hit with due to it's 2 bullets with each shot, so the deagles are actualy overpowering the ruger a bit, BUT the ruger still does a bit more dammage each shot and had higher accuracy...
main reason why i'm still using the ruger even in 1.2.1 is becouse it's my fav gun since 1.1.1 or something eventhough i think if i was just discovering soldat today but still had all my knowlage of the game it would couse the deagles as main, becouse in that time the ruger dammage has been downgraded 2 times i beleave, and the bink effect has been introduced witch destroyed the edge the ruger had over the rest of the guns completely. though it also has been made more accurate (though I personaly didn't find that positive as well) and reload a bit faster...

this has been a WAY too long post so i'll quit typing hehe :P weed makes me type way too long on the same subject hehe :P

Keron Cyst
December 21, 2004, 11:53 pm
Can't it go even through multiple Soldaten?... o.O'

EDIT I forgot where, but I've seen a post over 30 pages long that contained serious, numerous paragraphs actually relevant to the topic...

Jello
December 22, 2004, 5:12 am
One good Ruger tactic, I think is to have Socom as your secondary. That way if you are about to get into close combat you can whip out the Socom and using that and exessive 'nades put alot of damage on your opponet, if not killing them. You've gotta be good with Socom first though.
Also, Taxista: I don't recall who it was that inspired me. I was on a public server, and I haven't seen the guy since. It may well have been the guy you mentioned, though. I don't remember much about him though.

Vassili_Zaitsev
December 22, 2004, 5:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Judge_Man[quote][i]Originally

yea geo?

i like the ruger
i am currently honing my ruger skills as i havnt played soldat in about 6 months and im trying to pick it up again

i used to be ace with ruger...luve that wep.
i could assult with ruger and own
i'd ruch foward but just out of range for the autos to do som serious damage, and i'd loose of two quick, accurate shots downing the first guy, i'd pop off my other two not really trying to get a kill, then i'd duck away behind a rock or something and reload.
then once i had aquired a new target, i pop up before he gets to close and take him out of the eqation, and fast.

speed
speed is of the essence with ruger. it is very accurate and u can with some practice, down enemies from the other side of the screen with ease. since you have this advantage of accuracy, but the disadvantage of RPS you have to make it up in personal speed.

to use a ruger affectivly, you not only have to be a god shot, but you have to be fast.

also using the ruger whilst in realistic mode helps alot.

apocalypse
December 22, 2004, 12:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vassili_Zaitsevquote:Originally posted by Judge_Man[quote][i]Originally

The ruger is a really gud gun,powerfull, hard yes but pratice makes prefect :), vassil, wtf is the deal with the pron bussiness?? y r u talking about pron on a little kiddy computer game? no offence to the soldat geeks im just trying to dis vassil :P

y0da
December 22, 2004, 12:51 pm
It's my fav gun! But i've changed it to AK-74. :/ But i havent forgot how to use it :]

Chakra
December 22, 2004, 1:09 pm
yo apocalypse, use the keyboard. You don't have to use your phone to post on a forum.

KeFear
December 22, 2004, 1:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by JelloOne good Ruger tactic, I think is to have Socom as your secondary. That way if you are about to get into close combat you can whip out the Socom and using that and exessive 'nades put alot of damage on your opponet, if not killing them. You've gotta be good with Socom first though.
Also, Taxista: I don't recall who it was that inspired me. I was on a public server, and I haven't seen the guy since. It may well have been the guy you mentioned, though. I don't remember much about him though.

Jello i think you are wrong.. maybe it's my personal opinon, but i don't like socom with ruger. I think it's because i'm not good with socom. I use knife instead, it's much more effective in close combat, if i run out of bullets. Knife is one of the most deadly weapons in the game ;)

Anyway, you mentioned the "nade-socom" tactic. Yes, it is good, but i use ruger instead of socom in these cases. I throw a nade, if it doesn't kill, i just shoot him, one bullet kills now.

BlackSpear
December 22, 2004, 1:33 pm
i also don't like the ruger/socom combination (though i've seen some people that are good with it). I personaly just shoot the [IMAGE] out of everyone with my ruger, and if i have to reload i trow more nades to get the job done. i have the knife as secondary, and it's not for when i'm reloading at the moment, but for when i'm moving in a place where there is some knife superemicy (like left in the bottom at arena or all other not verry high places) or i come from above and see an easy knife kill. for me the knife is reserved for people with full health. don't use a secondary to finish someone off...
btw the ruger/barrett combination just OWNS!! if you have that combination the odds are unfair for the rest :P

Dathker
December 22, 2004, 2:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by KeFearOkay, ruger is a bit harder nowdays, but i still love it. Most of the time i use it. Of course, not against barret in 1vs1 :P But it mostly good against any weapon. I use it in closecombat too, but it is harder of course, cos it was originally designed for ranged use (against deers, to be more specific :) So, i mainly use ruger, it is good against large number of soldiers in dm, or in ctf for defense and for offense too (yes, it is, but you must learn to be good with it)
Surely, on small maps, autos rule, but you have to learn to use any weapon, cos every player has different styles, uses different weapons, and of course every map needs different tactics.

wtf ar eyou talking about.... ruger has gotten easier... its always been easy just no one can aim

and 1v1 barret ... what weapon can't take a barret out sheesh... just need to move right when they are ognna sh00t and then, pound their ass with the twoshot killin ruga!

all you people are extrememely stupid by the way... ruger + socom is smart becuase the socom is a decently power full secondary so, when you are spamming your ruger aimlessly and you hitt em once then it can be easier to kill them.. otherwise i perfer knife just cuz its more fun

and black spear that ruger+barret combo is teh funage :D so is ruger +aug

ruger is teh pwnage

The Geologist
December 22, 2004, 8:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vassili_Zaitsevquote:Originally posted by Judge_Man[quote][i]Originally

yea geo?

Judge asking me was enough...there's no need to quote him to drag it out, asshat.

I'd put the Spas on top instead of the M79...after all, M79 is a one shot weapon, has limited range, fairly slow rounds, and is slow to reload. But the Spas takes at least a few shots to kill, also has a limited range and slow rounds. IMO, it's harder to use the gun which you have to shoot your enemy a few times instead of using the gun that kills in one hit. You can't work the arc of the shot as much with the Spas...the bullets spread, and do much less damage than if you were shooting someone point blank. The M79 bullet is lethal even if you hit someone at the farthest point of your shot.