( search forums )
CTF_Canyon
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
shrimp
December 21, 2004, 4:28 pm
After I made the map a few days ago, I now decided to put it up here...
Known bugs: walking over the brigde is glitchy at some spots. No other bugs found.
[URL] (updated)

[IMAGE]

PathAK
December 21, 2004, 4:36 pm
Just downloaded and played;

Great Map!!

Some problems tho:

Lots of missing scenery, i dont know what it is, but you better include all the scenery you used into your zip.

Your polygons arnt very neat, where there are often 3 or 4 polygons, or polygons on top of each other could be replaced with 1, but in a way this was good because it prevented there from being many poly bugs.

Didnt like the map background color, dont know why - just didnt look right.

overall good job

peemonkey
December 21, 2004, 4:43 pm
wow. really nice. 10/11 if not waypointed; 11/11 if waypointed. good job.

shrimp
December 21, 2004, 4:44 pm
Hmm, the scenery, right. I must have used scenery that came with maps downloaded by Soldat itself (for custom maps) I'll try and figure out which sceneryfiles those were and update the .zip file!

mar77a
December 21, 2004, 5:02 pm
The poly placing reminds me to Michals maps...

shrimp
December 21, 2004, 5:24 pm
Here is the new ZIP with the scenery files included: [URL]

shrimp
December 21, 2004, 5:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by PathAKYour polygons aren't very neat, where there are often 3 or 4 polygons, or polygons on top of each other could be replaced with 1, but in a way this was good because it prevented there from being many poly bugs.

overall good job

Thanks! :D

Though, I tend to get un-neat polygons when I want to refine the shape of something, for example, when I want to make a smooth round edge, or just very details height diffrences. What makes it visually un-neat (or however I have to express it), is that fact that I sometimes use 3 diffrent colours in one polygon, I'll try to watch out for that if I make new maps in the future.

Sprocket
December 21, 2004, 6:25 pm
screenie dont work.. fix it man, cause i want to see it..

shrimp
December 21, 2004, 6:58 pm
It works for me though.

Sprocket
December 21, 2004, 7:03 pm
now, it works..

that look Great!

shading: 6\10
scenery: 8\10

you should get a better tecnique..

liquidis x snake
December 21, 2004, 10:17 pm
I love the jaggedy look of this map. Very "Pirates of the Carribean-ish" imho.

Good work.

shrimp
December 26, 2004, 2:22 pm
Thx ^^ !

grand_diablo
December 26, 2004, 2:39 pm
I like the map's style, but sadly there are some thigns I find really annyoing.

a) You might remove the water scenery from the foreground, walking "underwater" destroys the realistic feeling of the map imho. or place it further down, so that the soldiers cant be totally covered.

b) the middle lower part are bullets-only-collide polys, therefore in the foreground. This part is imho too big, and one paradise for hiders. Maybe find a better solution there?

c) The red team members who spawn above should be able to reach its own flag without having to cross more than half of the maps length before. The distance they have to cross should be about equal to the same part on the team blue's side. (imho)

Anyways, nice concept, very nice shading, just those issues left ;)

Cookie.
December 26, 2004, 9:29 pm
best shading style there is ^______^
i dont like how u can fly up with flag with no m79boost get on roof then past the hurt part and down the sidee...

Messiah
December 26, 2004, 9:34 pm
WOW! Very nice man, it looks awesome so very well done, nice detail oh i love it i try right away [Spams Download Link]

Vijchtidoodah
December 26, 2004, 9:42 pm
Great looking map!

I haven't downloaded or playtested yet but from the screeny I'd give it an 8/10!

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 9:49 pm
Wow great map, I love every piece of it, keep up the good work.

Maluno
December 27, 2004, 2:50 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo
a) You might remove the water scenery from the foreground, walking "underwater" destroys the realistic feeling of the map imho. or place it further down, so that the soldiers cant be totally covered.

b) the middle lower part are bullets-only-collide polys, therefore in the foreground. This part is imho too big, and one paradise for hiders. Maybe find a better solution there?

c) The red team members who spawn above should be able to reach its own flag without having to cross more than half of the maps length before. The distance they have to cross should be about equal to the same part on the team blue's side. (imho)

a)Yes
b)Yes
c)Yes

other than that, great map man

shrimp
December 27, 2004, 8:48 am
Wow thanks, I really didn't expect people finding the shading to be so good ^___^ !

xiaoyu
December 27, 2004, 9:09 am
THX~ ^^"

shrimp
December 27, 2004, 10:59 am
?

Rambo_6
December 27, 2004, 6:20 pm
My thoughts exactly. Good job on the map, i like when people use different poly techniques... ^ ^

Like mah n00 sig? XD

exPlosivo
December 28, 2004, 12:43 am
I really like this map. Nothing too fancy, but everything you did was implemented well. And I don't know what you did differently, but I agree that your shading is good.

shrimp
December 28, 2004, 9:10 am
Hmmh.. my shading. W/e :P