( search forums )
I'll Make Your Map For You!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 9:36 am
If you have a great idea about a map but you don't want to go through the hassle of making it yourself, I'll make it for you.

I'm not just going to make your map willy-nilly though, you should have:

A fairly detailed drawing with the polygons, scenery, spawn points, and theme of the map all laid out.

What type of map it's going to be.

Any other specifications that you think I should know.If I like it and think I can do it, I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Soulsnipa
December 22, 2004, 5:26 pm
willy-nilly maps suck

Hiei
December 22, 2004, 7:43 pm
How about a map of your average everyday neighborhood?

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 8:52 pm
Hiei, read the directions, make a little layout or something and I'll get right to it.

Yello Mit
January 2, 2005, 4:47 am
quote:Originally posted by HieiHow about a map of your average everyday neighborhood?
That sounds good. :)

Deleted User
January 3, 2005, 10:31 pm
Here's a map that I've wanted to make, but I suck at shading and placing polygons, and I always get the scale wrong. Pardon the crappy drawing.. I was bored during calculus and remebered this topic, so I drew up an old map concept of mine.

[IMAGE]

Info:It's supposed to be a sort of desert canyon theme. With the remains of some long lost military base strewn about. Rusty steel girders, delapitated bunkers, random placings of barbed wire, abandoned crates and sandbags. Maybe a few lose rocks here and there(I leave it for you to decide where, I don't mind) I'm thinking some dark tan colors to make it seem as if the sun will be setting soon. As far as how big this map should be, I'd like it to be small. Make it so that a Soldat, compared to the rest of the map, would be about as big as the second Green box down from the top.

Spawn Points:The "1,2,3,4" inside the circles represent the spawns for teamatch. The Green squares are for regular player spawn points. The "R" at the top is for the Rambo bow. The "P" in the bottom right is for the Yellow flag. Don't worry about health packs and grenade boxes, I'll take care of that. As for jets, set it at a decent amount, as much as Cambodia I'd say.

Type:This map is intended for DM, TDM, RAMBO, and POINTMATCH.

Misc.:For the cirular object in the bottom left. I'd like for that to look like a boulder precariously perched upon a raised up piece of earth. For the bridge at the top, I'd like it to be very similar to the ctf_Voland bridge(that is, can go through on the side but not on the top). For the objects in the bottom right where the Yellow flag will be, I'd like it to consist of several steel platforms that appear to be hanging by cables, and the platforms should be player-collide only. On the very top of the map, I'd like for there to be hurting polygons, but only on the top, underneath where players might hit their heads while jetting around it should be normal.

Vijchtidoodah
January 4, 2005, 4:51 am
Alright, I'll get to it as soon as I can. It may take a while as school just started back up again.

Also, are those circle things on the lower and middle left supposed to be barbed wire?

Messiah
January 4, 2005, 5:21 am
Dude if you can try and make me an "Olympics" Map, with like boxing ring, long jump, ice races, Knife throw, High Jump all that. Than i could make "Soldat Olympics" Come alive!

Vijchtidoodah
January 4, 2005, 5:40 am
An Olympics map? It shouldn't be that hard, mostly flat polygons and bland shading.

I'm sure you could make it yourself.

On the other hand, how would you actually get people to play the way they wanted? People would be running around attacking eachother. Have you ever seen a server where the admins try to enforce even the simplest of new rules, only to have every new player screwing everything up?

No only that, but high and long jumps would be the same distance no matter what, ice race maps already exist, and knife only servers are plentyful.

Edit: However, if you really want it done, just follow the instructions above and I'll work on it after I finish the last one.

Spectral
January 4, 2005, 5:41 am
oh wow that sounds like a great idea! seriously not being sarcastic

Messiah
January 4, 2005, 5:54 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahAn Olympics map? It shouldn't be that hard, mostly flat polygons and bland shading.

I'm sure you could make it yourself.

On the other hand, how would you actually get people to play the way they wanted? People would be running around attacking eachother. Have you ever seen a server where the admins try to enforce even the simplest of new rules, only to have every new player screwing everything up?

No only that, but high and long jumps would be the same distance no matter what, ice race maps already exist, and knife only servers are plentyful.

Edit: However, if you really want it done, just follow the instructions above and I'll work on it after I finish the last one.

Ok, but what do you want me to make a rough copy of Paint? Photoshop? which? and it would be nice if it was DM, and dude, i dont know much about Maps, i just know how to play on them, this is why i came to you >_>

Vijchtidoodah
January 4, 2005, 5:58 am
Whatever you have available and will make the best quality draft is fine (photoshop tends to be better quality, but Paint is a lot easier to use).

Sorry about naming off all the cons of this new kind of map, but I just want you to be aware that if things don't go perfectly in a server people won't play. And with an original style map like this, getting people happy is a very hard thing to do.

Deleted User
January 4, 2005, 8:31 pm
Yeah they're supposed to be barbed wire, and so are the loops on the middle right(don't ask why I want them there, I just liked the look of it). Oh and I messed up on the drawing for the bow and yellow flag spawn points. They should be switched around. Thanks for taking up the project, finish whenever you want.

Deleted User
January 4, 2005, 8:56 pm
question: i made a map, can you do the waypoints?

Deleted User
January 4, 2005, 9:02 pm
You could ask Sprocket, I think he does waypointing for people. Sorry if I have him confused with someone else, but his name came to mind.

Vijchtidoodah
January 4, 2005, 10:07 pm
I can't do waypoints, you can either get sprocket to do it for you, or go to the SML forums and there are some very skilled people there.

Messiah
January 4, 2005, 11:59 pm
Vij, you and Sprocket, should create a "Map Making For Newbs" i know they could use search but, this would make it easier, and if you did it would be awesome because i would really like to know how to make maps, just the basics.

Vijchtidoodah
January 5, 2005, 12:21 am
I'll think about it, but perhaps you should ask the SML people to make a more comprehensive tutorial. I'm fairly sure that they currently don't have any projects and they might enjoy making this.

Deleted User
January 5, 2005, 9:14 am
ok, anyway thx for help =)

MOFO NOFO
January 7, 2005, 6:59 pm
could you make me maps for my movie??

grand_diablo
January 7, 2005, 11:24 pm
and this will be moved to the right forum too :>

MOFO NOFO
January 7, 2005, 11:27 pm
doesnt anyone care about my movie lol

MOFO NOFO
January 7, 2005, 11:38 pm
ok, heres what i want... except .. not so gay? [IMAGE]

the P is spawn.. umm yeah, and the houses shouldent look like that,, just get a pic of a house or something, and Oh yeah, this scenery is supposed to be NIGHT TIME(like make smaller houses and make dark and stuff...).. just post here if u want me to tell u anything else...

Vijchtidoodah
January 8, 2005, 6:48 am
Umm...okay...but considering how easy that would be to make and the fact that I'm currently working on a few other projects, I'm sure you could easily make it yourself.

So, if you have the time, I'd just learn to map.
This'll get you started: MapMakerPlus. It may be in japanese or something, I haven't had time to test out the new versions.
Click the box that says "Help" in almost the upper right hand corner and it'll tell you all the controls.
You can easily learn to make simple maps just by fooling around...remember that your soldat will be about the size of your cursor, the screen shown (not full screen) is what you will be able to see at one time in the game, and always click the compile button before saving your map.

Or if you're lazy enough to wait for me to finish everything that I'm already doing, I'll start on yours when I can.

MOFO NOFO
January 8, 2005, 7:27 am
well, if u can get it done in a day, then ok, or ill just map it myself, well back to the other 7 maps i need to do..

Norse
January 23, 2005, 6:38 pm
Hey Vijch, I was bored with the Blood Gulch remake map, so I made a small arena style map that seems easy enough. I up for suggestions!! It's currently only for a small game like Deathmatch or possibly teammatch, but the little alcoves on both sides of the map could inherit flags. See map through link for more info.

[URL]

Details:
Map Name: Assault Cavern
Gametypes: Deathmatch, Teammatch, Rambomatch (for rambomatch and spawnpoints I'll leave those up to you to decide ;) ), and also possibly CTF.
Bot waypoints: If you can make them then w00t, but if not I'll try someone else on the forum.

Specifications:
If you can't read the text I wrote at the bottom of the map, it says the polygons should be practically dark. Make it feel like your in a cave where there is little light around you. For the backround make it black for both first and second colors, or whatever lets you see the soldats clearly enough. I also want shading on all the sides so that the outsides fade from black (the backgrounds color) to a dark green or brown for the cavern effect. (In shorter words: Make my map beautiful please!)

Vijchtidoodah
January 23, 2005, 8:35 pm
Sure thing, you might have to wait a bit though because I've already got one map to do, but that map is also on hold because I'm going to be extremely busy for this week and the next.

Oh, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but that graphing paper really helps out a lot.

Norse
January 23, 2005, 8:39 pm
Graphing paper is a thing of beauty, and yes it was intentional. Though it might help with creating the map, because you could set the measuring graph on the sheet to match with the measuring graph in the maker. Hope it helps!

Vijchtidoodah
January 29, 2005, 7:21 am
Norse, I have an early, early beta ready for you to look at but I don't want to put it on this thread just yet. Turn on your email or PM options so I can send a picture to you.

Norse
January 31, 2005, 4:51 am
Feed me that beta! I opened mail and PM's. :)

Norse
February 2, 2005, 5:04 am
I just took a look at the beta. Couldn't see any texture or objects. Got an error saying im missing the texture gurner. Did you create that texture and forget to include it? I can't see the map when I play, but from the looks of it in teh map maker, it looks awesome!! Keep up the good work! And if you have that texture, could you mind sending it in a PM? Thanks.

Vijchtidoodah
February 2, 2005, 6:38 am
Ooh...I haven't shaded or anything yet so that texture just carried over from the other map that I'm making.

Norse
February 2, 2005, 11:55 pm
Almost as a suggestion: Maybe make the map longer? That we we can add flags for CTF, etc. If we made it CTF it would have to contain some more defenses, ditches, alcoves, etc.

Also the scenery...maybe vines hanging down from the top...and possibly holding a suspended platform above the middle island? Reasonable?

Vijchtidoodah
February 3, 2005, 12:05 am
Hmm...I actually really wanted to turn it into a ctf map so I'm glad that you asked me to do it...I'll get on it as soon as possible.

Norse
February 3, 2005, 10:06 pm
I have no issues with it being CTF.You can add your touches to it now and then...please discuss the main add-ons in a pm or email though, because I dont want it getting to out of hand! Keep it simple.