( search forums )
For the Germans
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 9:28 pm
When you guys play video games in which you either are or are fighting against the Nazis, do you ever feel weird that those people may have been your ancestors? Or shamed that they did something so horrible that half of the games on the market are ones where you fight nazis? Or do you just not notice anything at all?

I was just curious because I don't really have a chance to deal with that because there aren't many cowboy and indians games out there...

SuperKill
December 22, 2004, 9:35 pm
lol
i feel proud whenever i die by deagles xD

Alamo
December 22, 2004, 9:50 pm
... No actually I don't care. I'm a german, so in games like RTCW or MOH:AA I could kill my 'ancestors'... I really don't care. It's a game.

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 9:53 pm
That's what I thought, but you never know.

Alamo
December 22, 2004, 9:56 pm
In those games the Nazis are the evil guys. To succeed you have to kill the evil guys. It's like any other game. The crucial part of the game is not killing the germans but winning the war/completing your mission.

BMF
December 22, 2004, 10:57 pm
That's a difficult question. It is a funny feeling Vijchtidoodah. What Alamo said, you are just battling evil.

Pulp
December 22, 2004, 11:11 pm
Strange. I always thought the americans, canadians, brits, frenchies and the russians were the evil ones.

Jello
December 22, 2004, 11:45 pm
If you're a Nazi, maybe...

Vijchtidoodah
December 22, 2004, 11:55 pm
Well Mr. Belgium, wasn't your country ravaged by two world wars started by the germans?

Alamo
December 23, 2004, 12:54 am
... That's what I hate... 'the germans' I know you can't really express it otherwise but I and noone of my generation started a war... You know the points I'm gonna say so I won't tell it again ;)

Vijchtidoodah
December 23, 2004, 1:07 am
Well, if someone said that the americans killed off most of the indians, I'm not going to say that it wasn't my generation. That's already implied.

BMF
December 23, 2004, 1:11 am
You guys should wrap this up before zee Germans get here..

anybody watch Snatch??

Hitman
December 23, 2004, 1:20 am
Rofl, I was just coming to post 'ze Germans'!

I love you.

peemonkey
December 23, 2004, 1:24 am
i played a WWII game, where you had to kill the italians, and i was alughing my ass off. [IMAGE] it, there's 1's and 0's. (although my italian people were hidden in the mountains, basically untouched by the war XD)

Vijchtidoodah
December 23, 2004, 1:28 am
Alright, well, I think my question has been cleared up.

Alamo
December 23, 2004, 1:34 am
Actually there was only one german who told you his opinion about this, me. :) Maybe it hurts the feelings of other germans... you never know :)

Hitman
December 23, 2004, 1:41 am
It's wrong to assume that any Germans in our time would have any sort of attachment to the Nazi's. Not only were they one of the most evil assholes to have existed, but they also put a terrible stain on Germany's history, which will take a long time to get over, which I'm sure none of the Germans appreciate. So I don't really think it would hurt their feelings..

Vijchtidoodah
December 23, 2004, 1:48 am
I hope you didn't think that I was attatching modern germans to the ones of WWI and WWII, but there isn't a collective name for that group of people.

BMF
December 23, 2004, 3:33 am
What's disturbing is that there is Neo Nazism on the rise in Germany. And also there is Neo Nazism in my home country (Russia), which makes no sense, since we lost like 20 mill. in the WWII

Michal
December 23, 2004, 3:59 am
I feel offended that there are practically no games where you play on the Polish, It's like they forget that we actually fought.

Vijchtidoodah
December 23, 2004, 4:24 am
The polish fought in WWII!? :) :)

Pulp
December 23, 2004, 4:49 am
Sure they did, some polish soldiers even fought in France and the UK.

quote:Well Mr. Belgium, wasn't your country ravaged by two world wars started by the germans?
I don't think my nationality says anything about how I'd look at certain things now...

Michal
December 23, 2004, 5:33 am
Yes the Poles fought in WW2 :)

-Firstly, they fought the German (1.8 million) and Soviet (1 million) Invasion and never surrendered. They took a greater toll on the enemy than the French and British did in the invasion of France in 1940.

-Polish air force Pilots flew in the Battle of Britain.

-Polish troops took Monte cassino.

-Poles fought on the beaches of Normandy on D-day.

-The 2nd Polish army, with the Soviets defeat the Germans at Berlin. My Grandfather was one of them.

The Poles did a lot of the fighting in WW2, but it's not really as publicized as the American or British efforts.

Vijchtidoodah
December 23, 2004, 6:43 am
Okay, okay, Michal I was just kidding! :)

Pulp, I was talking about WWI and WWII, not present day events.