( search forums )
For those of you who likes Trenches...
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Leo Da Lunerfox
December 24, 2004, 8:17 am
There is a new mod for the Half Life Engine that is based on WWI (Frankly, I have never seen a WWI game before), focusing on Trench Warfare and Good and Solid Gameplay. Here are the facts:

Pro:
- Great Player/Weapon Models
- Good Animation
- Realistic
- Simple Gameplay, yet hard to master
- Active Development Team
- Planned for new classes and weapons, such as the MG and Gas
- Player face customization (Seriously though, who is going to stare at you?)
- Built in mp3 player
- Great Dynamic Lighting
- Full Action such as Proning...etc

Cons:
- Small Community
- Somewhat Steep learning curve (You die very fast if you don't know what you're doing)
- Not much players (Usually enough to only fill up one server, and almost fill up another)

Heres the link to it:
www.thetrenches.net

This is a very fun and addicting game, and its out of the bunch because of the unique weapons that is in the game. Since in WWI, semi Automatics arn't made yet, the Soldier's guns are all bolt Action, meaning that after you fire the bullet, you have to pull the spring back again. This part requires you to right click after you fire a gun to fire again, and when I played the first time, I kept forgetting to bolt the gun again because it was so suspenceful and cinematic. Your gun can also be held sideways for Bayonet attack, which is much more useful then most other gun's melee weapon if used correctly. One of my most memorable moments was when my team (British) were trying to take over a hill, when all 10 of us got up, I ordered them to ready their bayonets and charge up, we were sucessful in taking the hill, and I stabbed 3 guys before I got shot and died.

Now that I'm finished with my flashback, heres the link Again:
www.thetrenches.net

Hope to see you in the trenches!

Vijchtidoodah
December 24, 2004, 8:30 am
Thanks for the link Leo, I'll check it out once I get half-life to start working on my computer again.

Magniitude
December 24, 2004, 8:13 pm
Half-life2 or 1?

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 24, 2004, 10:15 pm
HL1

Jaz
December 24, 2004, 10:30 pm
thats [IMAGE] i wanted it on hl2 :(

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 24, 2004, 11:22 pm
They're making a Source Version after they've finished perfecting the first one

Messiah
December 24, 2004, 11:49 pm
Awesome, thanks Leo ;)

Vijchtidoodah
December 25, 2004, 8:27 am
Umm...where do I install the files? I tried my half-life directory but I can't get to the mod from half-life or from steam.

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 25, 2004, 5:56 pm
don't change the directory when you're installing, it should show up at the Steam list when you open Steam under the Third Party Games list

LazehBoi
December 25, 2004, 8:04 pm
Ooh. Does this have bots?

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 25, 2004, 9:22 pm
No, but its okay because even though there isn't alot of people playing, I can always find a server to play on

LazehBoi
December 25, 2004, 10:13 pm
Well, i'm downloading now, I hope this game is good :o

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 28, 2004, 1:39 am
So who dled the file? Any thoughts?

Vijchtidoodah
December 28, 2004, 2:01 am
Great mod! It was a lot of fun...for a while though, I thought you had to completely reload every time you wanted to shoot so I died many, many times.

It's also really hard because I keep getting shot by people that I never even see.

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 28, 2004, 5:29 am
Yeah, when I first played, my K:D ratio was like, 0 to 30. But in a way, it is a pretty realistic depiction of WWI, because I'm sure you can't go crazy and run around all over the place and not expect to die. If you're gonna try it again Vijchtidoodah, try to Strafe a little and run diagonally into cover and run from cover to cover.

Vijchtidoodah
December 28, 2004, 5:52 am
Running is what gets me killed. It's so hard to remember that if nobody else is currently out in the open, all sights will be on you.

And seeing people while they are prone is so difficult. Sometimes they'll be right in front of me but I won't notice until I'm dead on the ground and looking right into their face.

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 28, 2004, 8:46 am
yeah, its funny when you throw a nade into their hole/trench, then they all climb out and try to escape, only to be shot at.

Vijchtidoodah
December 28, 2004, 9:04 am
That has to be the funnest part of the game. What annoys me, though, is also the problem that has plagued this game: people only want to sit in a little hole and rack up their kills, but don't really run out to get the flag much.

Vijchtidoodah
December 28, 2004, 9:04 am
That, and the fact that there are at most only three servers running at a time.