( search forums )
Spectator Speaking
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
December 24, 2004, 5:34 pm
This idea really doesn't have that much use, and would probably be hard to put in, but I like it

When a regular player talks, the text appears above his/her head and in the top left corner of the screen. Now when a spectator talks, it only appears in that top left corner of the screen. Some people don't notice if a spectator says something because it's not right there where they're focusing on. My idea is that when a spectator talks, his/her text appears where his cursor is on his/her screen. That way people will really notice it.

The point of spectating is to be able to watch the game with minimal activity, and to yell out and cheer on different players. I know Soldat isn't much of a spectator sport, but I think this would help spice things up a bit.

Deleted User
December 24, 2004, 5:36 pm
Or make it a different colour to the rest, spec is whatever colour its set, alpha is red, etc.

Alamo
December 24, 2004, 5:49 pm
Different colours would be really good... Also for team members. Make blue team speak blue and red team speak red.

Spectral
December 24, 2004, 7:07 pm
hmm i like it...tho should be an option

Vijchtidoodah
December 24, 2004, 7:42 pm
That could be really interesting, but might get annoying if a spec decides to spam all over your face and give away your position.

Deleted User
December 24, 2004, 7:49 pm
That reminds me of that thing hackers used to do when they put a huge block of text in annoying color all over the screen.

Chakra
December 24, 2004, 8:13 pm
Spectating can be quite fun, especially for duels.

I can't say I like this idea ...however...this would certainly be fun and perhaps useful for admins who are spectating! It could even be useful for people who make movies.

Deleted User
December 24, 2004, 9:55 pm
And make /takeoff and /smoke to spectators :) Once a hat appears in the air, and starts to smoke :)
Anyway, it's a good idea :)

frogboy
December 25, 2004, 12:06 am
I dislike it, spectators talking is already annoying enough to me.

ThE_cHeAt
December 25, 2004, 2:01 am
The problem is that people would use that option to point out hidden players, and being hidden and having hiding places it part of what makes Soldat fun, i don't think this would be a good idea. I also want to put in, why would you spectate when you can play??

Alamo
December 25, 2004, 2:04 am
Well... you can also point out the position of players without this tool by just saying 'Camper in right bunker'...
I do that a lot just to ruin the camper's fun... mostly it works and they start changing tactics.

Deleted User
December 25, 2004, 3:41 am
quote:Originally posted by ThE_cHeAt
why would you spectate when you can play??

Because sometimes I'll open up soldat and then realize i'm hungry, so I'll sit and watch for a little bit.

ThE_cHeAt
December 26, 2004, 12:06 am
I guess you're right, but that's jhust my opinion, i would rather play than watch in practically anything.

Maluno
December 26, 2004, 3:11 am
I absolutely agree for red/blue in team games, (i always hit global chat button instead of team chat button by accident), but is the spectator chat idea really a necessary implementation?

Deleted User
December 26, 2004, 5:05 pm
Not really, but what really is necessary these days?

Alamo
December 26, 2004, 5:07 pm
colored chat.

Deleted User
December 27, 2004, 8:07 am
quote:Originally posted by ThE_cHeAtThe problem is that people would use that option to point out hidden players, and being hidden and having hiding places it part of what makes Soldat fun, i don't think this would be a good idea. I also want to put in, why would you spectate when you can play??

It's your point, i didn't think on it...