( search forums )
8.9 Earthquake in southern Asia
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
grand_diablo
December 26, 2004, 1:00 pm
From
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041226/325/f97s8.html

COLOMBO (Reuters) - The world's fifth-largest quake in a century has hit southern Asia, unleashing a tsunami that crashed into Sri Lanka and India, drowning thousands and swamping tourist isles in Thailand and the Maldives.

A wall of water up to 10 metres (30 feet) high triggered by the 8.9 magnitude earthquake swept into Indonesia, over the coast of Sri Lanka and India and across southern Thai tourist islands, leaving up to 3,100 feared dead in seaside towns and villages.

Two-thirds of the Maldives capital, Male, was flooded and officials voiced anxiety for the fate of dozens of low-lying, palm-ringed coral atolls crowded with international tourists for the Christmas holiday season.

Sri Lanka, where officials put the death toll at 1,500, appealed for emergency international assistance, President Chandrika Kumaratunga's office said. One million people, or 5 percent of the population, were affected, officials said. (...)

Hit those who are already poor enough, again...

Drama
December 26, 2004, 1:49 pm
"One dead people is a tragedy, thousands is statistics"

-Joseph Stalin

blackdevil0742
December 26, 2004, 2:13 pm
man that's bad news :(

Hitman
December 26, 2004, 3:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by Drama"One dead people is a tragedy, thousands is statistics"

-Joseph Stalin
Man, [IMAGE]ed in the head!

..a friend of mine just called me to tell me about the earthquake in Thailand just as I was reading this topic, and asked if I was able to hold on them...I've tried but it says the number is currently out of service.

I CAN'T [IMAGE]ING BELIEVE THIS!

I managed to get a hold of them, they're fine.

Gay
|
|
V

BMF
December 26, 2004, 3:45 pm
Hitman that story really touched me.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 26, 2004, 6:01 pm
You guys were just saying how you don't believe in God. And now your thankful that your friends are safe...i think its a sign and a time to start believing.

n00bface
December 26, 2004, 6:27 pm
There were 50 foot waves in Oahu Hawaii last week. You know what happened? A bunch of people from Europe were invited to surf and they all bought tickets and flew to hawaii and surfed. pFeh. story!!!!

BMF
December 26, 2004, 6:47 pm
Mike what about those people who lost their families? Should they stop believing?

Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to find at least some logic in your words.

N1nj@
December 26, 2004, 6:52 pm
look what jesus and santa did on christmas, instead of delivering happiness and presents. We get a 8.9 earthquake in southern asia. how nice and thoughtful of them =(

palloco
December 26, 2004, 7:51 pm
As if Santa had any relation with christians...

DeMonIc
December 26, 2004, 7:56 pm
Saint Michal(? Miklos) delivered food and various other supplies to orphans several hundred years ago.Later people told his story and the legend of Santa Claus was born.G'nite.

FliesLikeABrick
December 26, 2004, 8:03 pm
n00bface you jackass... this is nothing like that because this area never sees waves like this, and it is in such a low-lying/level area that this bigass wave wipes everything out. I was reading that story as my mom flipped on the news in the other room and i heard it say something about estimated 11,000 people dead so far and over 1.3 million homeless

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 8:06 pm
Nicholaus XD
Yeah it sucks, when I saw the headlines "Tragedy in Asia: 11 thousand dead" I thought "no way so many died, they're wrong".

palloco
December 26, 2004, 8:07 pm
Demonic... are you trying to say anything with that? Maybe to relation Michal and Santa Klaus?

DeMonIc
December 26, 2004, 8:36 pm
Thanks Karmazon.I'm trying to say that Nicholaus was made Saint because of that action, and the legend of Saint Nicholaus ended up as Santa Claus child's story.

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 8:53 pm
The Nature showed again how miserable and fragile are human beings...

[*] [*] [*] [*] [*]

palloco
December 26, 2004, 9:10 pm
Sant Klaus was made Saint?!!? When did that happened?

Messiah
December 26, 2004, 9:21 pm
Mother nature is one [IMAGE], you have my sympathy the world these days...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 26, 2004, 9:36 pm
The earthquake was an example of the power of God. To show you guys that dont believe that he exists. All of those people that died and DID believe are now in a better place and their families will soon see them again.

N1nj@
December 26, 2004, 9:41 pm
LOL Mike!!!!! thats the most bs i ever heard. earth is not an example of the power of god, its call NATURE power. Science > God

And i still dont believe that he exists. Bring it on

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 9:42 pm
LOL Mike. Do you really believe that the God, if he exists, is so small-minded and mean that he makes earthquakes to make an example of his powers?

Do you know that the "earthquakes" are in some other planets and moons in Solar System as well? Why would God do it on abandoned planets? :D

Vijchtidoodah
December 26, 2004, 9:49 pm
Abandoned?

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 9:53 pm
whatever, it doesn't make any sense anyway ;)

Messiah
December 26, 2004, 9:54 pm
As some dude, i think it was Newton said Science is nothing without Religion and Religion is nothing without science.

Meandor
December 26, 2004, 10:01 pm
If you think God kills/saves people because they're good or evil, you've understood nothing of the bible.

The Geologist
December 26, 2004, 10:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by MikeShinoda.pheonixThe earthquake was an example of the power of God. To show you guys that dont believe that he exists. All of those people that died and DID believe are now in a better place and their families will soon see them again.

Forgive me if I don't believe you on that point...earthquakes aren't acts of God. They're perfectly natural, and while I don't mean to undermine your belief in the Lord, I do feel a little explaination is in order. That area of the world sits atop very active plate boundaries (plates being the things that our sea floors and continents sit upon...think of them as a bunch of rafts floating on water and bumping into each other, and it's approximate to the techtonic plates sitting on the liquid magma within the earth). Just a little ways to the North and West we see the Himalayas, the tallest mountain in the world that is still growing today as a result of the collisions of two plates.

My point in all this? Plate movements generate tons and tons of energy, and looking at this point in the world the most likely cause is a "strike-slip" plate boundry, in which one plate may be moving south, while one right next to it moves north (or any other combination of directions, so long as the plates move past one another). They touch on one or multiple edges and thus cannot move, yet the movement of magma beneath the plates is still forcing them to move even through they're "locked" in place. This causes a buildup of energy over years and years until the rocks and associated strata can't take it anymore. Some of the rocks break, the plates deform/break, and all the stored up energy is released in one massive event to cause an earthquake.

We're talking massive amounts of energy here...enough to deform hundreds of feet and meters of rock. This energy needs to go somewhere, and it does...into the water. Imagine a bucket, full to the brim with water...if you were to suddenly drop a brick into the bucket, or conversly thrust a brick up through the bottom of the bucket, a certain amount of water would be displaced from the movement of the brick and the conversion of the energy of the moving brick. It's very similar with the earthquake...the energy stored in the rocks is released, and coupled with movements of the rocks themselves, a tsunami is generated. I'm obviously more informed about the earthquake portion of this than the tsunami portion, but I'm pretty sure what I'm saying is correct.

Sorry to those of you who already knew all this, and once again, I'm not trying to undermine anyones faith. But I feel a bit of explaination is definately in order due to the commonplace nature of earthquakes.

N1nj@
December 26, 2004, 10:29 pm
good job on the science there geologist, although most of us should knew that already >_<

FliesLikeABrick
December 26, 2004, 10:34 pm
yeah, i think most of us knew that. Mike wasn't saying that God was responsible for the wave directly, but many people believe God could have control over anything causing things, including plate tectonics.

N1nj@
December 26, 2004, 10:40 pm
Well, tell those people to go learn some science. Its plate tectonics, not some god magic.

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 10:41 pm
God causes plates to move

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 10:52 pm
you are a fanatic karmazon ;)

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 10:56 pm
If you don't believe in God, you'll dieeeeeeeeeee

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 11:15 pm
I bielieve in God, but I'll die anyway :P

AerialAssault
December 26, 2004, 11:20 pm
i dont see how anyone can believe in God other than just being afraid to think otherwise. i mean, if the guy is all powerful couldn't he think of a better way to communicate with us other than just telling abunch of Arabs in the desert to write a book. i mean think about it, think about the religon's roots, think of where it came from, its just abunch of bull[IMAGE].

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 11:26 pm
Haha you're bashing without understanding....Have a nice day

Aquarius
December 26, 2004, 11:27 pm
You are so narrow-minded, AerialAssault. Did I say that I believe in any "official" religion? I can't say anything about God, except that I believe in him and I love him. It is my all religion. Do you have some problem with this??? What Arabs, what deserts, what books? Any academic discussions about God are pointless IMO.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 27, 2004, 1:16 am
why are we talking about religion on a forum about a game with jets on your feet and berserker mode anyways? There are many different religions on these forums and its just a waste of time and space to contemplate the truth about our world.

LazehBoi
December 27, 2004, 1:35 am
Religion is boring.

BMF
December 27, 2004, 2:44 am
I'll starts believing in God as soon as he makes a rock he can't lift.

Geo will understand what I am talking about it, and he will explain it to y'all.

karmazon
December 27, 2004, 2:49 am
Man that's really old...

The Geologist
December 27, 2004, 5:46 am
quote:Originally posted by BMFI'll starts believing in God as soon as he makes a rock he can't lift.

Geo will understand what I am talking about it, and he will explain it to y'all.

lmao...I'd love to give it a try. ;)

And ah, I had a feeling most people knew how an earthquake worked...I guess I was stressing the fact that we know what's going on down there and we're learning more all the time. There was a time when people thought our sun was a god, as well as the moon...until we learned otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by karmazonGod causes plates to move

We have plenty of ideas on that too. ;) Unfortunately, our world isn't like that piece of sh*t movie The Core where we can just build a machine to drill us down to the center of the earth to check it all out...too bad though.

karmazon
December 27, 2004, 5:51 am
So you still don't know what's in the earth's core ? I know...
Green skinned women and nazis.

Back on topic:

This is a huge tragedy ! 11 thousand dead ! That's the most horrible catastrophe of this century !!!

liquidis x snake
December 27, 2004, 7:05 am
[IMAGE]

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 27, 2004, 10:59 am
I dunno if I should laugh or be mad at that... errr

hahagrrr.

Melba
December 27, 2004, 2:57 pm
23 500

and counting...

BMF
December 27, 2004, 5:12 pm
jesus [IMAGE]ing christ

talk about population control

palloco
December 27, 2004, 5:36 pm
Believing in god is like believing in Santa Klaus or in ghosts.

karmazon
December 27, 2004, 8:11 pm
Santa Clause did exist so in your face
You can't prove anything with invisible world, and you can prove everything with it.

Michal
December 27, 2004, 9:17 pm
quote: Believing in god is like believing in Santa Klaus or in ghosts.
Ghosts exist >_<
There's tons of proof...

Marbire
December 27, 2004, 9:20 pm
quote:Ghosts exist >_<
There's tons of proof...

I think you are confusing proof with photoshop.

Anyways, this is a tragedy. The tsunami waves even reached Africa killing thousands in Somalia. There have been severeal big earthquakes around the world lately..... hopefully doomsday ain't comin.

Liber_Lupus
December 27, 2004, 9:36 pm
[IMAGE] happens, we cant do anything. Let them be.

BMF
December 28, 2004, 4:45 am
I always wanted to live to see doomsday. This is so awesome

Messiah
December 28, 2004, 5:24 am
Armageddon or the Apoclypse :O That would be cool, and can we stop with the religion/science keep it to yourselves please, and stick with the *Earthquake* remember?

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 28, 2004, 6:05 am
quote:
There have been severeal big earthquakes around the world lately..... hopefully doomsday ain't comin.

Oh no! we better get all of our soldatin' in while we still can!

The Geologist
December 28, 2004, 6:09 am
quote:There have been severeal big earthquakes around the world lately..... hopefully doomsday ain't comin.

There are many, many earthquakes going on quite frequently....you just don't feel most of them. ^_^

Marbire
December 28, 2004, 7:05 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologistquote:There have been severeal big earthquakes around the world lately..... hopefully doomsday ain't comin.

There are many, many earthquakes going on quite frequently....you just don't feel most of them. ^_^

Correct you are, but I'm not talking about the minor earthquakes that happen constantly, of which we don't feel.

I'm talking about a 9.0 earthquake in Asia, the biggest we've seen in 50 years. I'm talking about 3 weeks earlier, an earthquake off the coast of Alaska, which was the biggest we've had in 10 years. I'm talking about the huge earthquakes in Japan. Anyways, I was just commenting.

Meandor
December 28, 2004, 11:23 am
quote:Originally posted by BMFI always wanted to live to see doomsday. This is so awesome

.. but you just said you don't believe in god.

The Geologist
December 28, 2004, 11:45 am
Who says doomsday has to be caused by God?

Toumaz
December 28, 2004, 2:35 pm
[laughs at LxS' picture]

On the news today they said that it was a 9.1 earthquake. Also the goverment down there thinks that the dead body count will stop at about 40 000. There are news reports every god damn hour on TV.

Meandor
December 28, 2004, 4:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistWho says doomsday has to be caused by God?

If it's not the judgement day decided by God (biblic one), it's not doomsday. I guess BMF means a world wide catastrophe that destroys earth, doomsday is a specific term. Might be wrong tho, not sure if all dictionaries agree on this.

BMF
December 28, 2004, 6:20 pm
Meandor when in doubt, check the dictionary before posting.

Michal
December 28, 2004, 6:28 pm
According to many sources "Doomsday" will be around the winter solstice in 2012.

palloco
December 28, 2004, 6:49 pm
LOL

Doomsday is clearly in 2029, had not you read the news? :P
http://space.about.com/od/nearearthobjects/a/2004mn4impact.htm

Aquarius
December 28, 2004, 7:32 pm
NASA canceled the doomsday already.

It will be a very close approach, but the asteroid won't hit Earth... probably.

Meandor
December 28, 2004, 9:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMFMeandor when in doubt, check the dictionary before posting.

Check it yourself, the defintion for doomsday is in most something along this 'the day when the world will end and god will judge everyone'

BMF
December 28, 2004, 9:17 pm
Oh man if that asteroid hit that would be so sweet

karmazon
December 28, 2004, 9:32 pm
59 thousand dead and counting....biggest catastrophe of this century

Aquarius
December 28, 2004, 10:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMFOh man if that asteroid hit that would be so sweet

Yep, very sweet!

1500 -- the power of the impact, if the asteroid would hit, in megatons.
0.02 -- the power of the a-bomb explosion in Hiroshima.

To bad we couldn't tell anyone how sweet it was ;)

But it won't hit. Here is how close it will be (short white line shows possible positions of the asteroid):
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/2004mn4can.gif

The Geologist
December 28, 2004, 11:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Meandorquote:Originally posted by The GeologistWho says doomsday has to be caused by God?

If it's not the judgement day decided by God (biblic one), it's not doomsday. I guess BMF means a world wide catastrophe that destroys earth, doomsday is a specific term. Might be wrong tho, not sure if all dictionaries agree on this.

Meh..I see mixed results. Some mention a "day of judgement" while others seem more like BMFs definition. Anyhoo, I was thinking of something along the lines of a large asteroid and the like as a "doomsday" scenerio.

BMF
December 29, 2004, 3:32 am
You have to agree it is a good way to go. I mean you gonna die anyway, I'd rather die of an asteroid impacting earth, than from the damn Alzheimer's.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 29, 2004, 7:54 am
At least it will be cool to watch it pass...

Aquarius
December 29, 2004, 8:36 am
quote:Originally posted by BMFYou have to agree it is a good way to go. I mean you gonna die anyway, I'd rather die of an asteroid impacting earth, than from the damn Alzheimer's.

I agree. And I bet the last week before the catastrophe would be the best week in my life :)

Toumaz
December 29, 2004, 9:24 am
I would move to another country if that goddamn asteroid would hit Scandinavia or nearby. But the impact chance is only 1 to 60.

60 000 dead... I belive that the counting won't stop at 100 000 dead.

The Geologist
December 29, 2004, 9:36 am
quote:Originally posted by ToumazI would move to another country if that goddamn asteroid would hit Scandinavia or nearby. But the impact chance is only 1 to 60.

60 000 dead... I belive that the counting won't stop at 100 000 dead.

Ahem...the size of the asteroid being discussed would wipe out the entire world, regardless of what country you move to. Try again.

karmazon
December 29, 2004, 9:37 am
Move to another planet XD

Toumaz
December 29, 2004, 9:40 am
Then I'll move to Mars. ;)

karmazon
December 29, 2004, 10:50 am
Around 70 thousand dead and still counting...

Sprocket
December 29, 2004, 10:56 am
They say it will reach 100.000 bodies in a day or two... ain't that a kick in the prick-[IMAGE]..

Toumaz
December 29, 2004, 11:15 am
Sad though that not so many people really cares about this... I mean, on 9/11 the whole f-ing world just stopped by and simply "OMG so many people dead! BBQ!", but now, the amount of people that was killed are many, MANY times more than at WTC.

Ironic... isn't it?

Meandor
December 29, 2004, 2:11 pm
One of the reasons is that the media had way more to say about WTC, since it was not a natural catastrophe. Quite sad.

BMF
December 29, 2004, 3:10 pm
If you don't uderstand why WTC had so much media attention, I will not even start explaining. Meandor, sometimes I really think you are a smart guy. But then you say something so outrageously stupid, that I just don't know what to say.

Meandor
December 29, 2004, 4:45 pm
What's stupid about media giving more attention to people that have been murdered rather than to ones involved in a catastrophe? All they can do now is to mourn the dead people and show over and over clips of the tsunami. While there were many things to be discussed about WTC that it's hard to make a complete list.
The point is not that anyway - we were talking about how this happening doesn't happen to have shocked the world like WTC did. The 'shock' factor is reflected on tv, but they can't keep talking about things about which there's not much to say. A big part of the population watches tv, so if something isn't taken into consideration much there, neither people will at home.

BMF
December 29, 2004, 5:27 pm
I didn't say it was "stupid" that media gave more attention to WTC than to the tsunami. I said that you were stupid in your attempt to compare them. The point is that you do not understand why a natural catastrophe is less shocking to the world than a terrorist act.

Let's wait for Geo or something. I just can't believe you are asking these questions, I always thought you were one of the "smarter ones" on this board.

Let me just say this. Every year about 40,000 americans die in automobile crashes. That means that since 2001, about 120,000 americans died in crashes. Does that surprise you that the tsunami is getting way more media attention than the deaths of 120,000 people? Or does it surprise you that WTC (2001) got more media attention althought only 3,000 people died there?
Meandor again I am not going to explain all this to you, you will have to do the thinking on your own.

Elephant_Hunter
December 29, 2004, 7:52 pm
I really hope Mike wasn't serious.

Aquarius
December 29, 2004, 8:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_HunterIf you don't worship THE one and only Lord then prepare to live a life of hell.
You forgot that The Lord is much more mercyful than you.

nazikilla
December 30, 2004, 12:17 am
i dont think anyone on this whole forum is evil enough to go to h*ll. it takes alot, but dont take advantage of his mercy, thats a grave mistake. i think all the believers who read this should pray for the ones hurt in the catastrophe. alot of Christians are praying for the victims. aitheists should respect that. also charities, hospitals, ect. are mostly started and managed by Christians, not aitheists. i think we should be respected for all we do. there are alot of good aitheists though, and some bad christians, but Christians still do alot of good work for the world.

The Geologist
December 30, 2004, 12:36 am
So says the guy with the avatar of one smiley face beating the other to death with a bat. Good advice.

nazikilla
December 30, 2004, 4:25 am
its just an avatar meant for humor. doing such a thing in real life is stupid. but in a little fakey avatar its kinda funny.

Tha Doggfather
December 30, 2004, 2:30 pm
Stick to the topic please

Cookie.
December 30, 2004, 5:32 pm
From CNN "Tsunami death toll tops 116,000"

karmazon
December 30, 2004, 9:34 pm
123 thousand dead already

grand_diablo
December 30, 2004, 10:41 pm
130.000, still counting :/

Cookie.
December 30, 2004, 10:42 pm
http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=111574

"The death toll in Acheh, the region worst hit by last Sunday's tsunami, may exceed 400,000 as many affected areas could still not be reached for search and rescue operations, Indonesia's Ambassador to Malaysia Drs H. Rusdihardjo said Thursday."

O____O

Aquarius
December 30, 2004, 11:23 pm
We are accelerated.

"The devastating earthquake that struck the Indian Ocean on 26 December was so powerful that it has accelerated the Earth's rotation, geophysicists have declared."

"The deadly Asian earthquake may have permanently accelerated the Earth's rotation, shortening days by a fraction of a second and caused the planet to wobble on its axis."

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041229/full/041229-6.html
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/29/quake.wobble.reut/index.html

WTF!

b00stA
December 31, 2004, 1:05 am
WOBB :oOoOo

N1nj@
December 31, 2004, 1:50 am
that's just total bullshiet, fuk u earthquake, now we have less time for soldat

Messiah
December 31, 2004, 3:04 am
*Sigh* Ill live on the moon, (you can buy land on the moon :O)

karmazon
December 31, 2004, 8:43 am
Oh no 3 microseconds !!!!
And if it's wobbling on its axis, does that mean we're gonna have a climate changes ?

DeMonIc
December 31, 2004, 10:19 am
That axis stuff really did happen, but it comes with major earthquakes, it's not the first time it happened ;) That show how much it really effects us.

Meandor
December 31, 2004, 1:02 pm
BMF, why do you need to argue? I wasn't surprised, i was just stating how medias suck once more. I don't even watch tv anyway, over with this <.<

Rambo_6
January 8, 2005, 6:14 am
Apparently there's going to be a big tsunami off the coast of Vancouver. Could be tomorrow, or a couple thousand years, we'll never know. Freaky, though.

Unlucky 13
January 8, 2005, 6:38 am
quote:Originally posted by pallocoDoomsday is clearly in 2029, had not you read the news? :P
http://space.about.com/od/nearearthobjects/a/2004mn4impact.htm

OMG that is Friday 13th! OMFG WE SHALL ALL DIE!

Anyway, I heard that this is the worst natural disaster in living history on the radio!
What does it mean by living history?

The Geologist
January 8, 2005, 6:51 am
When did this come out...and why? What plates or activities would create this tsunami? I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you...I'm simply quite curious. If you're speaking of the North American plate (one of the two involved with the San Andreas Fault), that event would probably be the same one that causes the "Big One" in California. Of course, tsunamis can be created by other means as well, thus my curiosity.

Marine
January 8, 2005, 7:23 am
I found something interesting.

http://armageddononline.tripod.com/tsunamis.htm

Completely hypothetical, though. No promises.

The Geologist
January 8, 2005, 8:44 am
quote:Originally posted by MarineI found something interesting.

http://armageddononline.tripod.com/tsunamis.htm

Completely hypothetical, though. No promises.

Edit: Damn Firefox...half of the page wasn't loading up, so I didn't see any of his explainations or examples. Reading the page again...

Vijchtidoodah
January 8, 2005, 9:28 am
What are you talking about? A guy with a domain named armageddononline and a banner like that has to know his stuff!

Yeah, he's full of crap.

Anyway, he does mention that large amounts of rock breaking off can create large tsunamis and even tells where, but it's totally baloney.

Aquarius
January 8, 2005, 9:38 am
Big eruption of some volcanic island could cause a *very* big tsunami. Actually it happened already, in 1883. The eruption of the Krakatoa volcano wiped out the island and caused a series of tsunamis - the biggest about 40 metres high. It killed "only" 36,000 people, but remember that it was XIX century.

Wikipedia says:

"The 1883 eruption was amongst the most severe volcanic explosions in modern times (VEI of 6, equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT - by way of comparison, the biggest bomb ever made by man, Tsar Bomba, is around 50 megatons). Concussive air waves from the explosions travelled seven times around the world, and the sky was darkened for days afterwards. The island of Rakata itself largely ceased to exist as over two thirds of its exposed land area was blown to dust, and its surrounding ocean floor was drastically altered. Two nearby islands, Verlaten and Lang, had their land masses increased. Volcanic ash continues to be a significant part of the geological composition of these islands."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

But a wave 100 metres high? This is a BS. I think only a big asteroid could do this.

The Geologist
January 8, 2005, 9:45 am
After discovering half of the damn page wasn't loading, and going back to read through his site again, I'm glad to see he sites some examples of where the mega tsunami could come from. But the more I read, the more it sounds exactly like a damn show I watched on the Discovery Channel. Down to a T. It's the same thing with the "Super Volcanoes" section. I'd believe the guy some more if everything didn't sound as if had been pulled straight from some television special, because all the stuff he says is simply way too familiar.

Edit: A wave that high is very possible Aquarius. Explosion at Krakatoa is somewhat different from the situation that would cause these types of waves. Since I've actually gotten a few explainations on this now, I'll try my hand at it.

Imagine a large mountain, and within this mountain there exists a resevoir of magma. As pressure builds within the mountain the magma wants to move, but it can't, so in turn the rocks above and around the resevoir are stressed. The presence of water in the magma can make the situation even worse, with the ultimate (and worst case scenario) being that the side of the mountain simply breaks or sheers off and slides into the water instead of being blown out. You wouldn't see as much ash as you would with an explosion like Krakatoa. I've seen roughly the same thing happen in the labs on campus with large smounts of sediment and rock dumped into a tub of water. The water is displaced in proportion to the amount of rock and debree sliding in, and is actually pushed out and up because the rock is falling so quickly with such weight. So, a 100 meter wave is quite possible under the right circumstances, and in all instances may have happened before.