( search forums )
Should I Make a Forum Etiquette Thread?
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Vijchtidoodah
December 26, 2004, 11:01 pm
Should I bother to create a forum etiquette thread with topics like double posting and off-topic remarks that noobs can be referred to if they make mistakes?

That way, we won't have to have fifty people telling one noob to shut up because just one person can post a link to the thread and they'll learn their mistake.

The only problems I can think of is people not bothering to link to it or noobs deciding that they don't want to read it.

I've already thought of the following topics such as
-Double posting
-Making threads in the wrong topic section
-Spamming
-Reading the rules of each topic before posting
-Using the search funtion
-Stealing other people's work

If you have any others, please tell me about them

So...is it worth the effort or not?

Drama
December 26, 2004, 11:16 pm
hey, wtf?

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 11:18 pm
Well you should first stop spamming, and then teach other people about it.

Vijchtidoodah
December 26, 2004, 11:33 pm
Thank you karmazon, for that thoughtful post. But can you tell me whether or not I should do this, or add any ideas you might have?

karmazon
December 26, 2004, 11:47 pm
I already told you....

DNA.styx
December 26, 2004, 11:59 pm
It's Drama and karmazon usless posts that makes this sounds like a good idea, the mods already have a access to be able to update the Rules page, any suggestions welcome.

Hitman
December 27, 2004, 12:03 am
Lol, wtf?

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 12:05 am
Well, it would be nice if you put the afore mentioned topics in somewhere that is easy to point out to noobs.

It's just that people get into the habit of making a string of ridiculing posts because someone who is unfamiliar with the forums made a mistake. I have noticed that if there is somewhere telling that person what to do and if that place is linked to, people shut up pretty quickly. That's why I wanted to make this easy to find, so that noobs don't run off so quickly as they get yelled at by their peers.

DNA.styx
December 27, 2004, 12:17 am
I'm hearing what you are saying. If you put some text together I'll look at getting it added to the rules page, we can even have a newbies section.

Aquarius
December 27, 2004, 12:32 am
What, etiquette? I have found some etiquettes for you in Google: here .you may find it usefull... for forum etiquettes, u know.

Alamo
December 27, 2004, 1:14 am
That's a very good idea. There will still be the problem with noobs who don't read what you write. You can do what you want, they'll still keep on noobing. It's just that they're lazy... If they weren't they'd just read the Stickies and the Rules...
Well... it would make things easier though. Somehow I keep on saying 'Use Search and read Stickies' recently.

karmazon: Vijchti is not spamming... Maybe PM me some of his 'Spam' posts so I can judge for myself.

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 1:15 am
Alright, I'll get to it soon.

Edit: Is there any way to make an index that links to other parts of the same post?

_Mancer_
December 27, 2004, 1:49 am
Theres already like...20 etiquette posts and stuff, man, stop spamming.

You joined in october...I joined in June, and you have more posts than me.

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 2:04 am
How about this:

This is for all people who aren?t used to the etiquette here on the forum. Basically, here on the soldat forums there are certain things that you should do and things to make sure you don?t. Otherwise, you may end up with a dirty reputation.

Posting Etiquette ? a post is every reply you make on a topic.

Double Posting ? This happens when you make two replies in a row on the same topic. You should try to avoid this because people will think that you are just trying to raise your number of posts quickly. If you need to change or add to what you?ve already said, just click the edit button ([IMAGE]) that also appears above your post.

Spamming ? This is when you make a reply that either has nothing to do with the topic or repeats what someone else has already said.

Quoting ? This won?t get you into any trouble unless you fail to give credit to the person you cited. You can make a quote in several ways: find the post that you want to quote and click on the ?reply with quote? button ([IMAGE]).
Use this to ensure that you are never accused of stealing somebody else?s work.

Thread Etiquette ? a thread is any new discussion topic that you wish to start.

Sections ? There are thirty-one different sections that you can post in. Each one highlights a specific aspect of soldat. For instance, if you wanted help with the program you would begin a thread in the ?The Lounge? section.
You can see a list of all available sections in this Default Page.

Searching ? Before you begin a thread, use the Search Function to make sure that nobody has already made a topic about the same idea.

Stickies - A sticky is a thread that has been selected to be at the top of the section page so that it will get more attention. Before you create a thread, make sure that you have checked the stickies to see if anything you need is there.

General Etiquette

Rules ? Before you begin a thread or make a post in any section, read the this section of the forum rules, or among the stickies at the top of each section.

Behavior ? This community isn?t any different from a real one: if you are insulting, mean, or post indecent material you will be warned and eventually punished. If you really must, create a topic in the relatively unmoderated Bash Pit Section.

Cussing ? This forum is open to all ages and it is requested that you don?t try to get around the censored ([IMAGE]) that appear when you cuss.

Failure to Follow Proper Etiquette ? Depending on the severity of your infraction, you may gain a bad reputation or you may get a warning from the forum moderators. After repeated misbehavior you will be punished by either being fined post numbers, being banned for a period of time, or being banned indefinitely. If you want to see the list of people who have been punished, simply look at the Sin Bin Section

Mancer, could you provide a link to those etiquette threads so that I can see if I'm missing anything?

_Mancer_
December 27, 2004, 2:16 am
Forum rules :D

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 2:21 am
Thanks, I was just about to put that...

Alamo
December 27, 2004, 2:22 am
yey Vijchti that's a great noob introduction. make everyone read and follow these rules and we're all safe here :)

oh BTW: Please add 'Read the Stickies before posting a thread'.

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 2:37 am
I didn't know exactly what to put for the stickies...is that enough?

Alamo
December 27, 2004, 2:41 am
That's exactly what I meant, great :)

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 3:40 am
DNA, if this is good enough to go into the rules section, I'm going to need to edit the part about the forum rules. If not, please tell me so that I can make a topic out of it.

Magniitude
December 27, 2004, 3:58 am
Maybe when theres a new forum member, and they make their first post, there should be like a confirmation screen that shows these forum rules, so they are forced to read it before they make their first post.

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2004, 6:45 am
lol, that's great.
Then they should have to take a twenty question multiple choice test...

ThaD
December 28, 2004, 4:45 pm
eh some ppl just dont understand that sometimes one emoticon expresses more than a sentence, oh well...

anyway fine idea