( search forums )
CTF/INF Trench 1914
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Maluno
December 29, 2004, 3:50 am
First off, it's my first complete map, so take it easy on me pls. The map is far from finished, and I ask for constructive criticism only. Nowadays, teamwork in ctf matches is less than satisfactory.

I wanted to make a map that forces players to work more as a team than as individuals. The way this was achieved was by having a map where the teams would work together to gain ground and hold key defensible locations from the enemy. There is only one path to the flag, so you must advance as a team, and provide support to teamates moving ahead. This map could even be converted to an infiltration map.

No jets fits with the old-style theme, and makes the map a little more realistic. Speaking of realism, i designed this with a realistic mode in mind. Respawn time should be fairly high, or even possibly a survival mode. Weapons should be limited-- No minigun, no minimi, no m79 (maybe), no law, no barret.

Playing an infiltration map named something like "inf_des_1" on realistic mode a while back gave me the idea. There were a few key bunkers we had to gain, and the people I was playing with were communicating and working together really well, and it was all really fun. The main point to remember, is, though, that we were all moving along the same basic path to the flag.

Hopefully i have something that someone sees value in my creation, though i am inclined to doubt it due to the nature of one-path maps.

One other thing- i have the infamous prosavage s3 gfx card, so i am unable to see the scenery to integrate it nicely. I attempted to put some in, but it might look odd, because i can only see about 1/3 of most of the bmps. You will notice this from my screenshots. If anyone wants to make the map more prettyfuller, PLEASE do!!! I have not waypointed it as of yet, as I do not have plans for using it as a single player map. Thanks for your time and comments! :D

Overview
[IMAGE]
Screen1
[IMAGE]
Screen2
[IMAGE]

Map:
ftp://ftp.frontiernet.net/pub/users/schwetz/Misc/CTF_Trench1914.PMS

EDIT: changed urls

Evolution
December 29, 2004, 3:57 am
Kinda simple, nice try though. You could of added different textures.

Rambo_6
December 29, 2004, 4:41 am
Try basic shading, it really makes a difference on maps.

I agree with your concerns. Barely any teamwork is used in soldat nowadays. That's mostly because of soldat's fast paced nature, though. I don't think this map would be an easy ctf game, because of the limited escape routes. This means you're bound to run into at least one enemy during your escape, which means there's less chance of escape. A team deathmatch would be perfect since both sides would fight for key points.

Also, use of grass scenery, trees and sandbags would make this map aesthetically pleasing.

This map is good for a first. Keep it up!

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 29, 2004, 7:49 am
it could use some improvement...inf maps with only one route dont seem to work well.

(off topic) How did you get the AK in your avatar to look like that? I want to know because im working on the weapon interface for my CelDamage mod(thre is a link in my sig).

Pono
December 31, 2004, 5:25 am
Thanks for beating the [IMAGE] out of my map...:(

Droopy
December 31, 2004, 6:58 pm
Better call Lunerfox... He loves trench maps. I made a couple of 'em myself.
Here's my advice:
Make sure the map is long enough, so teams can advance slowly.
Keep in mind that these maps are best played in realistic survival with no jets, so try to avoid cliffs.
Tranches MUST be small(just enough for 2 players to fit in).
Put a couple of craters on the maps. They work as waypoints sort of.
Also remember: No SG's in the middle of the map.

DannyLB
December 31, 2004, 7:09 pm
This map is huge! It's ok.

Elemental
February 13, 2005, 6:56 am
Awesome map..Im a fan of these kinds..like Inf_Iraq! :D

chakapoko maker
February 13, 2005, 7:53 am
[+]
no glare and not mirrored. simple layout. it'll be very fun with a proper setting of the game for no jet ctf.
[-]
thin polygon is unstable, bigger one is better. and there are much split in a short line. if you don't color and shade a point in the middle of a line at the surface, the line doesn't need to be split because it's not stable when player moves fast.
missing some sceneries.