( search forums )
Suggestion for this Forum
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
IDF-RIPsta
January 1, 2005, 7:20 am
There should be tags in each topic to state which type of map is being uploaded.

Deathmatch - DM
example: DM Digger

Capture the Flag - CTF
example: CTF Beginning

Climbing Maps - CLMB
example: CLMB Tower

That way you could use the search function on this forum, and find the maps you want directly...

dr dragon
January 1, 2005, 1:50 pm
Seems like a good idea. i like it!

SuperKill
January 1, 2005, 1:55 pm
climbing maps ?!

grand_diablo
January 2, 2005, 11:22 am
Ppl should simply put the map's name into the topic, as actually the search function would then put out the results you want.

This "hint" actually stands in the forum rules, if I remember that correctly.

So simply put your map's full name - like "ctf_Oulomooo" somewhere into the topic line, instead of posting crappy titles like "Hey yo, look at this new map!!11one"

Sam
January 2, 2005, 1:07 pm
This already happens:

CTF = people already say this because the prefix of the map is always ctf_yadayada

INF = same as above but inf_yadayada

DM TM Rambo PM = these maps have no prefix and can all be played on the same map.

And climbing maps already have prefixes, usually kz_tower for example.

IDF-RIPsta
January 2, 2005, 2:25 pm
I meant it to be a forum rule, if it's not listed already. This rule is not enforced well and all I see here is a lot of nonsense in topics instead of a more focused approach.

Why not make it more organized?
Publish the required prefixes for each map type.

So far only CTF and INF are relatively organized.

PS: "kz" is not the climbing map prefix, Sam.

Avarax
January 2, 2005, 7:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPsta
PS: "kz" is not the climbing map prefix, Sam.

originally it was :(
but only some ppl did apply it :(

Rambo_6
January 3, 2005, 3:05 am
If people make enough maps, they should have their own sticky thread in which they post all the links to their maps in one post.

IDF-RIPsta
January 3, 2005, 8:12 am
That's a good idea as well, Rambo.

There are a few skilled mappers on this forum who released over 5-10 maps. The only problem with stickies, is that they are at the beginning of the page.

If there are more than 20 map makers who created over 10 maps, then you would have to continue to page 2 to see first time releases.

What you could do though, is force people to open a topic - Maps by (Name of Person Here) - then they would post all other maps under that same topic.

grand_diablo
January 3, 2005, 12:59 pm
Making a sticky for everyone who releases maps more often, is a bad idea, and would make the mapping forums look quite chaotical.

BUT: I could make a sticky where really good maps (according to the "rating" the users give) shall be listed.

What do you think about that?

IDF-RIPsta
January 3, 2005, 3:25 pm
That's great. How about a voting system of some sort?
When replying to a posted map, you should rate it between 1 and 10. 10 being the best rate, of course.

Most votes / highest vote score = best ranked map.

Alamo
January 3, 2005, 4:04 pm
ugh... I really hate the rating ppl give... Or if they have to give a rating they really should explain it, not a lame one-liner with x/10 or something.
The Sticky for each map maker is not a very good idea IMHO. Ripsta said already that it would clutter up the forums.
I think the indices like DM CTF INF are a good idea. I, personally, am not a big fan of CTF maps because I am a dedicated DM player... Like that I could search for DM in the topic title and would only find maps I like ^^ :)

grand_diablo
January 3, 2005, 8:26 pm
New forum rule added (see Forum rules posting, rule #11.1)

EDIT: Edited latest topic titles for demonstration purposes.
I know it looks a bit unusual now, but for better search results and overview, we should stick to that in the future.

DNA.styx
January 3, 2005, 9:12 pm
good job.

Hitman
January 3, 2005, 10:55 pm
Have the mappers put the type of map in [ these ]. Would make it look a lot neater..

E.g.

'[Inf, DM] Hanger'

grand_diablo
January 4, 2005, 12:17 am
Thought about that, but imho it would look too clantag like. Caps are enuff ;)

Alamo
January 4, 2005, 2:10 am
Whoa... This is neat! I really like it now (prepares to only display DM-maps). Nice work there g_d!

Rambo_6
January 4, 2005, 2:42 am
Maybe the personal threads shouldn't be sticky'd. Maybe they could have their own subforum so they won't clutter up the 'new maps' forum?

IDF-RIPsta
January 4, 2005, 7:29 am
Good job Diablo!