( search forums )
Ussocom
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Anti-mff
January 1, 2005, 7:57 pm
I've been playing pretty much with Ussocom for the last two days and has found out that it actually beats the autos in close to moderate range. The accuracy is much better so you get quite a few head shots and thereby kill almost just as fast, and in difference to the autos it has ridiculously fast reloads so you'll never be a sitting duck. And when facing shotgun users all you have to do is keep the distance. Duals against deaglers also can be quite interesting since the pistols pretty much equals each other, with Ussocom being the faster and deagles being the more powerful weapon.
Only real shortcomings is against one-shot-kill people where you don't really have time to kill before they get their first shot, and to some point this goes for Ruger foes too. With Ussocom you pretty much rely on being more efficient in killin more people in short time and if everyone on the map is camping that isn't all that good. Ussocom clearly is an assault weapon.

I recommend using Ussocom as a primary, but not as fallback since you don't really take advantage of the fast reloads when using it as fallback (at least if you're not using Barret as primary, then I guess Ussocom would do as temporary assault weapon while moving towards sniping positions). In my experience MP5 is the side arm of choice.

But what a hell! I've always seen Ussocom as a useless [IMAGE] weapon. Has it gained more power in the new version or anything? Really nice in that case, it's much more balanced this way. That nobody's using it makes me confused about that though.

AerialAssault
January 1, 2005, 8:01 pm
the socom is only good for close range IMO. the muzzle velocity is really slow so its hard to draw a bead on distanced foes. i think its only good as a support weapon if your in the middle of an intense firefight and dont have time to reload.

DT
January 1, 2005, 8:19 pm
still doesn't beat deagles though :)
but it is a good weapon for when you have long reloading weapons and such

Anti-mff
January 1, 2005, 9:05 pm
I've changed my mind about one thing. Main disadvantage isn't slow killing, it's getting kicked because you rule people with what they think is an inferiour weapon. :X

Meandor
January 1, 2005, 9:40 pm
Socom is probably the most overpowered weapon, but no one ever says anything about it. And it's my favourite weapon, so i won't whine about it either :D

Tha Doggfather
January 1, 2005, 9:56 pm
I know soccom is the most powerfull secondary, i just dont use it because you have to click each time you want to fire a bullet.
My hand begins to hurt after a while ;(

I use the knife, its easily the coolest secondary.

dadarkman
January 1, 2005, 9:57 pm
Why are people always talking about overpowerd weapons (WHICH THEY ARE NOT)

BMF
January 2, 2005, 3:53 am
Knife is cool, soccom is better tho. And it does not beat an auto in close/long range, but it does beat m79 any time of day if used correctly. In DM i get more kills with Soccom than with any other weapon

zambo_the_clown
January 2, 2005, 7:05 am
if its over powered then just rename it "glock 9" and it will seem more realistic

m00`
January 2, 2005, 7:16 am
eh i've been using ussocom as primary for 1 and a 1/2 years, my signature says what i use ^^

Spectral
January 2, 2005, 7:24 am
yes soccom is quite versatile among the other secondaries, probably the most affective. i still prefer laws cuz of 1 hit kills

Avskum
January 2, 2005, 8:29 am
quote:I recommend using Ussocom as a primary, but not as fallback since you don't really take advantage of the fast reloads when using it as fallback (at least if you're not using Barret as primary, then I guess Ussocom would do as temporary assault weapon while moving towards sniping positions). In my experience MP5 is the side arm of choice.
In a public game maybe. But youll never be successful in clanwars with an ussocom as your primary.
Cause im whoring with my minimi.

Anti-mff
January 2, 2005, 9:16 am
quote:Originally posted by m00`eh i've been using ussocom as primary for 1 and a 1/2 years, my signature says what i use ^^
That's fine. I'm just suprised that it isn't usual. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use Socom as primary before myself.

Avskum:
I guess you're right about that I wouldn't stand a chance in your clan wars since I didn't stand a chance against you but that probably has more to do with me not being good enough. I've only used Socom for a couple of days so that would be understandable. But yet of course, tactics is different for different situations. We'll see, someday.

IDF-RIPsta
January 2, 2005, 11:04 am
I played you recently Anti-mff.
I found your tactic to be peculiar. Especially because you use the MP5 when you get out of range... Try a more accurate weapon.

I think a Ruger / Soccom combo could work well.

Other than that, I don't think it's a good enough tactic. Maybe if you are planning to confuse your opponent and then switch to the MP5 when he gets closer.

ThaD
January 2, 2005, 11:07 am
well it's the best secondary for m79 and *cough* Barret due to it's reloading time; knife and LAW are better options for other weapons imo

Zero Wiggles Murasame
January 2, 2005, 12:18 pm
It's a good gun, I use it when I fool around though.

Anti-mff
January 2, 2005, 12:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaI played you recently Anti-mff.
I found your tactic to be peculiar. Especially because you use the MP5 when you get out of range... Try a more accurate weapon.

I think a Ruger / Soccom combo could work well.

Other than that, I don't think it's a good enough tactic. Maybe if you are planning to confuse your opponent and then switch to the MP5 when he gets closer.

The thought of the MP5 isn't that I'm gonna use it on longer distances. It's just ment to spree the last bullets when Soccom runs empty (and the enemys are injured thanks to Soccom), so it's basically ment for the same distance. Long range combats should simply be avoided when using the Soccom tactic.
If I use Soccom on maps with long range combat I'm very much aware of that it isn't effective but use it anyways just for fun. Sometimes winning isn't the most important (sometimes it is though).

IDF-RIPsta
January 2, 2005, 2:11 pm
Of course winning isn't everything, but you don't see people running around with Chainsaws.
Your point was to present a new tactic for weapon usage. I think it's ineffective with the combination you are currently using.

During the game I played with you, you ended up out of MP5 and Socom range. If you were using the Steyr, the results would have been much better.

All in all, it's an interesting new approach, turning your secondary into your main weapon and vice versa. I won't play that way, but I think you can improve the tactic by using other weapons instead of the MP5. Steyr, AK, Ruger and Minimi, are all better suited.

palloco
January 2, 2005, 2:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaOf course winning isn't everything, but you don't see people running around with Chainsaws.

Of course you do, Jason, grand diablo, me and some more people do that sometimes.

Tavy
January 2, 2005, 2:30 pm
Indeed, palloco, chainsaws do have their uses

But, on with this, I think the US-SOCOM is an excellent weapon in the game, perhaps SLIGHTLY overpowered, but not as much as it's evil or whatnot to use it as a primary.
Please remember, a .45 ACP is not a weak weapon, but nor is it very powerful.

This tactic has proven itself, time and again for me, I've found it easy to use a SOCOM to own people, but once more, I must agree with Avskum, it's almost useless in a clan war.
With a AUG, it is a better combo, because the MP5 is a short range weapon, the AUG is a rifle, for larger distances.
With the AK, as well, it seems better to me. But the MP5 has its uses, as well, as any weapon does.

Cheers!
Tavy

Anti-mff
January 2, 2005, 2:40 pm
If I was playing dead seriously I wouldn't use Socom/MP5 on long distances. I recommend it for shorter but not long. That's it. But I guees you could try combining the Socom with other autos for longer distanses.

Alamo
January 2, 2005, 3:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by pallocoquote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaOf course winning isn't everything, but you don't see people running around with Chainsaws.

Of course you do, Jason, grand diablo, me and some more people do that sometimes.

Same here... When i fool around i whip out my chainsaw and get some prey (in fact i have more chain kills then knife kills... at least the last time i checked)

I should try the Socom though... I never really took into account that i could use it as well.

Messiah
January 2, 2005, 5:49 pm
USSOCOM is a very deadly weapon because lets say your coming up b2b you see 2 guys one has got your teams flag and he is weak and the other is after you you kill one with deagles than you switch to socom and kill the flagger as well, this has happened to me in clan wars alot, and i wish i would have recorded them. Socom= Very Deadly (if used properly)

IDF-RIPsta
January 2, 2005, 7:27 pm
I meant people running around with chainsaws only. My secondary is the chainsaw as well, but I never think of running after people with a close range weapon. You use it for special occasions whereas he uses his Socom as a primary weapon.

Tavy
January 2, 2005, 7:53 pm
IDF-RIPsta:

Yeah, there's not alot of chainsaw-only users, but with an AUG or an AK, the chainsaw is dead effective, get in, and take em down ;)
In a firefight, also, or a deadlock, it can change the tide, it is mainly offensive though.

The SOCOM has it's ups, and downs, as does ANY WEAPON.

Cheers!
Tavy

m00`
January 2, 2005, 11:36 pm
I've had this weapon combo way longer than anti-mff why doesnt anyone congratulate me :(

Jello
January 2, 2005, 11:41 pm
Heh, same here m00...I've been doing this for a while. Actually, I don't really do it anymore. A few months ago though I just got really bored with all the weapons, and Socom was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't played with it in a while, but when I do, I usually use the same type tactics as you, Anti-mff.

hypno
January 3, 2005, 8:51 am
i like the usoccom
but the knifes good coz you run at them thro pick up as ur running
ready for the next kill

Usoccom is good becoz u can shoot up and the bullets come down faster then anything else

Anti-mff
January 3, 2005, 5:09 pm
hypno:
"Usoccom is good becoz u can shoot up and the bullets come down faster then anything else"

M79, nades, knife...

Alamo
January 3, 2005, 5:12 pm
My knife is a last resort. When my Minimi runs empty and all my nades gone I just toss it at the foes head... Then I run off for some health instead of picking it up. Then when I come across some other gun I pick it up and play with two prims.
Same with Law. I throw it away after use and pick up a different gun.

Alakhai
January 3, 2005, 5:28 pm
Avskum is in true.. in cws knife and law are better coz it needs to kill 2 quicly.

Morik
January 3, 2005, 8:24 pm
with long reload weapons, like the m79 or minimi, i use the socom. But with fast reloading weapons, like deagles or rugar, i use knife :)

Element_101
January 3, 2005, 11:48 pm
Use Ussocom if you want to win.

Use other secondarys if you play to have fun.

Liquid Metal
January 4, 2005, 3:39 am
I use the socom when some1 is nearly dead and im reloading

Meandor
January 4, 2005, 12:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Liquid MetalI use the socom when some1 is nearly dead and im reloading

omg omg you changed my life with this revelation!
(...)

Keron Cyst
January 8, 2005, 12:38 am
*lol*

Psyker
January 8, 2005, 12:52 am
so many socom fans, so many socom-less

Judge_Man
January 8, 2005, 7:57 am
Socom just pwn. So much underestimated by many. 4-5 bullets to Kill is sooo nice for this little gun.

ThE_cHeAt
January 9, 2005, 5:34 am
Hmmm.. i never tried that before. Usually i use that law for its one hit kill. But, assuming that you are right, it's almost useless when the foe is farther away and has an automatic rifle.

Deleted User
January 9, 2005, 10:46 am
I use it with the m79, if you give someone splash damage and there not dead, but nearly there. I whip it out and finish em off with it.

And I like to use the chainsaw, getting a kill with it really pisses them off sometimes. I got melba yesterday with it. =D

.Loki
January 15, 2005, 12:01 am
Socom is great. I started using it when winning with all the other weapons became too easy, but I quickly realized that it is pretty much as good as any other weapon.

Rediculously quick load time.

2 kills a clip.

Pisses people off.

If used as your primary, you can use a regular gun as your secondary, including the 1 hit killers.

While its slow velocity can be a problem, it can help shoot barreters and the like safely from below.

And it's just too cool for school. It helps to be good at the socom in advanced matches, and in cases where your primary of choice is disabled/fumbled.

Oh, and on a side note, the chainsaw owns. I've won plenty of DM matches 1st place with it. You just have to make good use of laying down and boosting.

Although for some reason now it seems that you can't hurt people who are laying down w/ the chainsaw, which in chainsaw vs. chainsaw matches, really sucks. Also, you can't mutliate corpses like you used to be able to. I can't possibly understand why they would change it.

lieroguy
January 15, 2005, 4:59 am
I often picked the Scocom as my secondar. It was the only secondary that was an actual gun. 12 shots at a nice rate of fire is neat, and though the shots weren't very damaging, it could kill fairly well, had range (though not too good), and 12 shots. I eventally exchanged it for the law, since the 1-shot-kills started becoming nessescary since I've been getting totally owned in the passworded U13.

NightCabbage
January 15, 2005, 1:28 pm
omg why do we even need to talk about this? XD

socom > all.

socom pwns.

socom POWA!!

law and saw rhyme with poor
an people that use knife needa get a life

haha. that was lame. i apologise.

but really, i feel naked when i dont have my socom :S

i keep changin to secondary and try to blast people, only to find my clicking is in vein. :(

knife = 2nd best

saw = fun sometimes :)

law = ... i wont go there coz it might insult people :P lol

Iag0
January 16, 2005, 1:26 am
quote:1. Desert Eagles
Akimbo weapon! An automatic hand-gun that can break a man's arm. That's why it doesn't fire so frequently but the bullets can easily pierce thick armor.

Statistics:
Bullet start speed = 15.83
Bullet start power = 39.9
Shots/Sec. = 3
Reloading = 1.5 sec.
Ammuniton = 7

USSOCOM
Standard US special forces weapon. You get it always after respawn as a secondary weapon.

Statistics:
Bullet start speed = 15
Bullet start power = 34.19
Bullets/Sec. = 5
Reloading = 1.08 sec.
Ammuniton = 12

probably the wrong way to interpret the above but...

socom only has ~5 damage less start power than a single deagle shot (remember deagles fire 2 at a time :p), so its no wonder its owns so bad (especially up close where bullet speed and weight(?) have little effect)