( search forums )
Suggestion for Soldat Server and Soldat Admin
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Futile
January 2, 2005, 11:48 pm
I have been keeping track of stuff I miss in the server and remote admin software. Michal told me to post it here so everyone could comment on the suggestions.

So. Comments anyone?

1. First of all, in the soldat Admin - a help command to show all commands avaliable. And if neccessary a help command for every single command. It's just not sufficient to tell ppl to rtfm.

2. Still about the Admin: I want more feedback! When using the command "/say" - for instance - print what is said. I'm never really sure wether my message got through or not.

3. Admin: Toggle Nick/IP. Sometimes I need a players IP, and sometimes I need his nick. Either give us both at all times, or let us make quick-toggle between the two. Or let us right-click on a player-nick and select "show ip".

4. Admin/server: I want auto-completion for commands, and maybe also for IPs/nicks. Press tab and it completes the command/ip/nick your writing.

5. Server: Some commands require an IP-number. Make it so that it's sufficient to write a nickname.

6. Admin: Command history. Pressing arrow-up or something similar, should let you page throught the latest entries you wrote.

7. Server/Admin: I want timestamps in the screen-log.

8. Admin: I want to be able to rezise the windows. For instance to see all stats of the players at the same time.

9. Admin: Why not add tabs to the remote Admin for server settings? Include the SINIM program (but clean it up), and aa a "restart server" button. Or even better - let soldat server read settings on the fly without disconnecting clients.

Also include the setting for server name and welcome line.

10. Admin: I would like some kind of button/menu system for adding/removing bots and changing maps.

11. Server: When I get a request that fails, please make the server tell me why it failed.

12. Admin: Keep table ordering when refreshing stats list in Admin. if i order by ping, then keep it ordered by ping after refresh.

13. Admin: Include a simple search function for the Admin screen log.

14. Admin screen log is way to hard to read. It should format messages based on their source and their purpose. Things like scores, team chat, "open chat", admin-chat, ban/kick/departs/joins/requests, network/software errors - you name it. Give us bold, italics, colours and the lot. Just make the log quick to overview.

15. This hasn't got anything to do with the server software really. When I'm in-game, I cant ban or kick someone whith special characters such as "[]()&=}" in their name. If i try to write any of those characters, the line is replaced with the quick-command assigned to that button...

And it is a little tedious to try to spell a nickname like "WaRloCkMigHtY" when the command is case-sensitive...

Just a little whine... :)

SERIAL KILLeR
January 3, 2005, 12:34 am
For 1, 3, 8, 10 i suugest u get S.A.R.J. http://sarj.freeserverhost.com/
Maybe u can get the maker of S.A.R.J. to add some of the features you would like in a the soldat admin.

15. You can use the players number (Open the command console (/) and press F1(score table) and u'll the number next to their names)

As for the other suggestions they would make thing alot easyer.

n00bface
January 3, 2005, 2:30 am
Moved to Suggestions Forum (I figured it would get more feedback there, plus this is more of a suggestion than needing help with your server :O)

as far as the suggestions go, they are all useful, but some already have solutions / alternatives (That serial killer already mentioned.)

Futile
January 3, 2005, 8:57 am
Thanks for the tips, I didn't know about SARJ before, and the player numbering thingy is great! Thanx.

I will try SARJ out today, and probably use it 'till Michal updates his prog.

And - for the sake of the thread subject - please remember that these suggestions are for the soldat server and admin, not for third party software.

Michal Marcinkowski
January 4, 2005, 1:03 pm
I agree some of your suggestion should be implemented, but some you must have missed. For example you can kick a player using his number instead of nick, check the manual.

rusty
February 4, 2005, 12:43 pm
Those are some good suggestions. I'll hopefully be starting work on a new release of SARJ soon to implement them.