( search forums )
FPS-Limiter ?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
SpEstNAz
January 4, 2005, 5:19 pm
Does anyone else have the problem, that Soldat only reaches ~64 FPS?
I have already discussed with another person, who has this problem, but we were not able to find a solution.
We both have systems that should allow Soldat to generate more than just 64 frames.
VSync is disabled and I have tested every setting in the Soldat-Setup - without succes, the framerate won't change :'(
And the strangest thing is, that I had a few days ago, when I changed in a confusing and sensless way the settings in the nvidia-display prog.(Image Quality, AA, AF), nearly 200 FPS ;O
But when I restarted the PC I only had 64 FPS again. I tried to find this settings again but I've not been able to make Soldat generate 200 FPS one more time.
And I think this proofs, that a higher framerate is possible :F

SpEstNAz
January 4, 2005, 5:53 pm
how to disable dx vsync and which specs do you mean?

b00stA
January 4, 2005, 7:02 pm
(moved from Gen. Disc. to Help forum)

SpEstNAz
January 5, 2005, 1:10 pm
the nvidia prog doesn't differentiate between different kinds of vsync.
but I also don't think that this is the problem.

does anybody else have this problem and perhaps a solution?! ;F

purity666
January 30, 2005, 11:08 am
yes i have the exact same problem as spestnaz

Deleted User
January 30, 2005, 3:23 pm
I think its meant as a security feature more than anything. In the original Counter-Strike, players with higher FPS would actually move faster, shoot faster, and perform better than players with an adequate FPS. It was all fixed in later versions, I believe, but I don't know how Soldat would perform.

NightCabbage
February 1, 2005, 2:27 am
I've seen Soldat run at well over 1500 FPS... there's definately no limiter!

AndrDron
February 5, 2005, 9:09 pm
toSpEstNAz ohh i have also this problem ... most often i have 64 fps :( but sometimes over 200-300 ..
i have geforce 4200 ti

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 10:35 pm
We need to figure out why some of us are stuck at 64 fps, while others are not. If you have a fast computer, the 64 fps limitation causes varying degrees of stutter, particularly when the screen is moving at full speed -- like during a free fall.

2 of my computers exhibit this behavior -- one is powered by a Geforce 6600GT, while the other uses a Radeon 9800 Pro. Seeing how this issue can effect both ATI and Nvidia cards, the video card isn't the likely culprit.

Both systems are using AMD processors under Windows XP. The motherboards are not the same.

I just got out of a game where some players had the 64 fps problem, while another guy had 75 fps, as his fps was locked to his refresh rate.

The players with the 64 fps issue are at a disadvantage, but not just because of the stuttering issue. The faster your fps, the smoother the game plays, which will help with accuracy and eye strain, especially for those using long range weapons. The stuttering is definitely a bigger issue, but if you have a machine that's capable of playing the game properly, why should you have to settle for a game that runs choppy? A top of the line PC doesn't come cheap and is much more expensive than a console, which is a good reason why we shouldn't accept some form of game glitch that prevents our favorite game from performing the way it's supposed to.

The 64 fps issue isn't exclusive to Soldat, as it's popped up in some other games, such as Warcraft 3. I've read reviews where WC3 was benchmarked beyond 64 fps, so I know 64 fps isn't normal for this game.

For those of you who are able to achieve more than 64 fps, what type of system are you running? Perhaps if we collect enough input, we'll be able to solve this frustrating mystery once and for all.

Deleted User
May 31, 2005, 2:23 am
An old topic, but one that does need to be solved.

You can achieve a DirectX Override by clicking Start>Run... type in dxdiag and on the troubleshooting/last tab, there's an option for video override. Type in your desired framerate/refresh rate* and click okay.

* - I have no idea if this will screw your PC up. If it does, it isn't my fault and i told you so.

Deleted User
May 31, 2005, 3:23 am
Thanks for the fix idea Lapis_Lazuli, but it doesn't work unfortunately. Why it doesn't work is what I find perplexing -- the refresh rate works at whatever rate you set it at, but the game will lock itself at 64 fps regardless of whether you have v-sync on or off. My monitors have the ability to display the current refresh rate, which I normally set at 100 Hz. If there was a problem there, I would've fixed it by now (I created custom video drivers for each).

If some of you submit your system information, it might help get us closer to solving this. Such as CPU, OS, SP1 or SP2, and video card.

Right now I'm comparing .dll files that Soldat and Warcraft 3 are dependant on with those from games that I have that run without the fps restriction. One of those games is System Shock 2. One of the first things I noticed is that Soldat and WC3 share drivers that System Shock 2 doesn't use. Obviously, it's an older game, which may have something to do with it. Regardless, it runs full speed while the others don't.

I'm also going to compare these .dll files with those from the Windows XP folder that ran my previous computer (which burned out unfortunately). If my memory serves me right, that computer didn't exhibit the same frame rate limitations. One thing I noticed right away is that quite a few of these drivers have changed dates on the new computer. One of these may be the culprit. My other computer ran SP1 and had all relevant hot fixes through last November, so some of these drivers have come from a recent update, while I saw at least one that came from a earlier meaningless update which I didn't install on my last computer.

Another thing I found interesting is that if you leave Dxdiag open, Soldat's frame rate is no longer locked, but if you close it, you're back to 64 glorious fps. This fix doesn't work for Warcraft 3, but should serve as a temporary fix for Soldat until somebody figures out a permanent solution.

chakapoko maker
May 31, 2005, 6:14 pm
First, I don't have a solution of this. OK, I had a trouble that's similar to this. I bought a new pc in January. The unbalanced system is:
-WinXP sp1
-Athlon64 3000+
-2*512M mem
-Geforce 5200 FX

I tried Soldat with it and the FPS was about 60. I hadn't tweak vsync nor updated the OS. I have reinstalled WinMe into it and it works as before(my old one was WinMe) with no FPS limit and it's about 160. I quickly stopped using XP because of not the FPS thing, but malfunction of Intelipoint's rotate_angle and my sukc skills. It's totally messed, I couldn't move my mousecursor straight at all and I could in zigzags. Some reg tweak about it didn't go well.
My story ends.

Drama
July 17, 2005, 11:51 am
Leaving dxdiag open helped for me:
AXP 2500+
WinXP Pro SP2
512MB RAM
Radeon 9700np@pro (DNA-ATi 3.9.5.4) @ 75Hz

EDIT: Dont use that dxdiag fix, it makes your mouse move slowly affecting your gameplay

Gore
January 14, 2006, 12:46 am
It is strange, I used to run Soldat at 150-200 FPS with a Voodoo 5 card... then 4 some reason I had to change drivers to play some apps. but when I went back I couldn't go up 60, and it's noticeable.

I recently bought a new PC, altough I haven't bought the graphics card yet, I'm using it with the integrated VGA because I thought it would be enough for soldat... first Install and get 75 fps, as the refresh rate at that resolution with my LCD, but a few days later It won't go up 50 ... reinstalled Soldat and got 75 again for a while, but I think it wasn't related to soldat configuration because it went 50 again and never reached 75 again, even with reintall.... I tried everything just can't get it right... I wouldn't bother me if it were smooth, but the game feels like jumping and aiming really sux. ????

Deleted User
January 15, 2006, 9:47 pm
I know I am not adding to the soultion, but I have also had this problem. All of a sudden I noticed that my fps was 64 and I also can't get it to go higher.

Gore
January 18, 2006, 4:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by Souljah
Another thing I found interesting is that if you leave Dxdiag open, Soldat's frame rate is no longer locked, but if you close it, you're back to 64 glorious fps. This fix doesn't work for Warcraft 3, but should serve as a temporary fix for Soldat until somebody figures out a permanent solution.

Dude, opening DXDIAG just solved the problem for me... now I get 300+ FPS, but do not care for the number because now the game is smooth, before the game as al bumpy and the mouse felt really weird and slow. There must be something that DXDIAG activates or overrides, but definitely it solved my problem.

I have to say, the same effect that dxdiag produces, also happens with Opera.. strange.

Noose
January 22, 2006, 4:55 pm
I have a similar problem, so I'll post it here instead of starting a new thread.

My problem isn't exactly with the frame limiter, which is also another one of my problems I guess. My problem is with a steady drop in frame rate within a short period of time. Soldat would start at a relatively crisp 75 fps, but in a 10 min period it would have dropped to a pitiful 4 fps no matter what, making it completely unplayable. I've had to completely restart my comp to temporarily "fix" this problem, but 10 mins later my frame rate would slow to a crawl again.

I never used to have this problem happen to me before, and I've been playing Soldat on the same machine for over half a year now. The only recent changes to my setup would probably only be my new LCD. But the frame drops only started surfacing roughly midway between my new LCD purchase, and now.

This feels to me like a very simple problem to resolve, so I hope you guys might be able to enlighten me. Thanks in advance. Specs are as follows:

Radeon 9800 Pro
P4 1.8
516mb ram

Mikeman
January 24, 2006, 6:45 am
Running Soldat in windowed makes the FPS higher. When I play fullscreen, it's 60-70. But when windowed: 300-400

b00stA
January 24, 2006, 4:39 pm
Mikeman, that's probably because vsync is enabled. The frame rate is limited to the refresh rate of your monitor, in that case 60 hertz.

Mikeman
January 25, 2006, 10:38 am
I use 85 hertz...

b00stA
January 26, 2006, 7:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by MikemanI use 85 hertz...

On your desktop, yes.
As soon as Soldat goes into fullscreen, it usually uses another frequency.