( search forums )
Got some terrific Idea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
caytchen
January 6, 2005, 8:23 pm
Hey Michal, i got some terrific Idea: Stop Sending Packets full of [IMAGE]!
The Server sends around 4 UDP Packets to the client in 1 Second, when the client's soldier is NOT moving, not shooting or doing sth other. ( Important to know: The Server where i captured the Packets were empty ).
These packets are surely not needed. When you left them out it would minimize the lag.

But , tell me: why are you sending so much packets full of not needed things?

Svirin Kerath
January 6, 2005, 9:01 pm
n00b! bow down to Michal and then say your suggestion respectfully!

MOFO NOFO
January 6, 2005, 9:06 pm
lol, but he has got a point, even though he is an a$$hole....,,

blackdevil0742
January 6, 2005, 9:28 pm
an a$$hole? No a newbie that has a mouth full of crap including some stuff that might be good.

palloco
January 6, 2005, 9:34 pm
Just in 1 seconds or in every second? Server needs to know if you are connected, and by the way you talk it seems to me that you were using the packet editor to hack, dont you?

Chakra
January 6, 2005, 9:39 pm
Less accusing more technical talk. Why are these packets there is the question for now.

Messiah
January 6, 2005, 10:16 pm
Lets lock this topic please, or ban the guy, his full of it -_-

caytchen
January 6, 2005, 10:19 pm
Ethereal uses PCAP to capture the packets send out/coming in from the hardware. It havent got the Ability to edit these , before they are send out. And the method Michal uses isnt fully clear to me. He transfers the server password you typed in when you connect to a server without encryption. The other packets look encrypted. When you dont do anything and just capture the packets with ethereal, you may also see double packets. Packets that got fully the same content.

And don't call me a n00b when you dont even know what packets,pcap or ethereal is. Thx for you attention.

caytchen
January 6, 2005, 10:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by MessiahLets lock this topic please, or ban the guy, his full of it -_-

Full of what? But i see, you are NOT knowing what ethereal is. Oh, and when you want me banned, try it , i think you wont be succesfull.

Liber_Lupus
January 6, 2005, 10:39 pm
Ok you proved your smart. You also proved your an asshole. Calm down.

caytchen
January 7, 2005, 5:48 am
quote:Originally posted by Liber_LupusOk you proved your smart. You also proved your an asshole. Calm down.

Hey Guy,
i like you [IMAGE]

KeFear
January 7, 2005, 11:09 am
quote:Originally posted by Liber_LupusOk you proved your smart. You also proved your an asshole. Calm down.

Why the hell woul he be an asshole? I think he has some point there.. and i'm curious about those extra packets.

frogboy
January 7, 2005, 11:30 am
quote:Originally posted by pallocoServer needs to know if you are connected

Yes. And it still takes a minute or two for a client to "disconnect" server-side after they lose the connection.

caytchen
January 7, 2005, 11:33 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by pallocoServer needs to know if you are connected

Yes. And it still takes a minute or two for a client to "disconnect" server-side after they lose the connection.

Maybe. But that are Still too much packets. Sending one every second even would be too much.

FoZ
January 7, 2005, 11:35 am
well think of it like this, if it sent a null packet every say... 20 secs and a client wasnt synched properly, it wouldnt be pretty :p

Edit: it = server

caytchen
January 7, 2005, 1:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by FoZwell think of it like this, if it sent a null packet every say... 20 secs and a client wasnt synched properly, it wouldnt be pretty :p

Edit: it = server

And when i dont want to think about this, becouse it is not the truth?

Tavy
January 7, 2005, 3:24 pm
As everyone has said, it's pretty obvious it's too make sure the client is still connected to the server, like the PING - PONG event in IRC.
Or such.

Next time, show some respect, Micheal has spent alot of time and resources on Soldat to make it enjoyable and fair, if there is a minor flaw, calm down, report it. Not flip like a hamburger.

Cheers!
Tavy

caytchen
January 7, 2005, 4:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by TavyAs everyone has said, it's pretty obvious it's too make sure the client is still connected to the server, like the PING - PONG event in IRC.
Or such.

Next time, show some respect, Micheal has spent alot of time and resources on Soldat to make it enjoyable and fair, if there is a minor flaw, calm down, report it. Not flip like a hamburger.

Cheers!
Tavy

[x] You may learn the difference between TCP and UDP.

Will
January 7, 2005, 6:57 pm
OMG CAYTCHEN = ROVERKEN REVIVED ROFL!

(for those of you who dont know who roverken is you obviously werent in forums back in the days of 1.0.5b)

ALSO STFU CAYTCHEN.
AND LEARN ENGLISH!!

"got some good Idea"

is Idea a new drug?

KeFear
January 7, 2005, 7:35 pm
Will, will you please stop this [IMAGE] you are doing?! You are abusing everyone! If you can't say anything "constructive", please shut your mouth. Or at least look after things before you speak.

papasurf31
January 7, 2005, 7:56 pm
So, what your suggesting is that packets should only be sent when there is actually action being taken with the player ie. moving, shooting, looking around. Makes sense, and if it would minimize lag, I'm all for it.

Will
January 7, 2005, 8:06 pm
KeFear stfu too.

lol

and dont take stuff too serious... chill out man...

in fact the whole forum needs to chill out. especially me.

Svirin Kerath
January 7, 2005, 8:57 pm
lol, will. i like the idea, too, but the attitude leaves much to be desired..... >.o

MOFO NOFO
January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm
im just JOKIN when i say this... AAAAHHHHH VIRUSES NOOBS HAVE FINALLY GOT TO US, THEYVE LOADED US WITH CRAP AND NOW WERE LAGGING, NOWONDER THEY ALLWAYS OWN NOW!!!

caytchen
January 7, 2005, 10:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by WillOMG CAYTCHEN = ROVERKEN REVIVED ROFL!

(for those of you who dont know who roverken is you obviously werent in forums back in the days of 1.0.5b)

ALSO STFU CAYTCHEN.
AND LEARN ENGLISH!!

"got some good Idea"

is Idea a new drug?

I am not roverken , and when i know something for sure, then that ideas are not drugs.
And please dont use caps lock, thank you.

zyxstand
January 8, 2005, 3:53 am
i suggest this topic to be moved to the developer's corner - more ppl there will understand what his concern is and hopefully ignore what an a.h. he is

KeFear
January 8, 2005, 9:22 am
zyxstand i aggre with you.

Will: yes, everybody needs to calm down. i'm calm. i'm just saying what i see: that you are telling everyone to stfu without much reason, and you are telling things you don't personally understand.

peace.

astar
January 9, 2005, 11:41 am
the netcode really does need cleaning up.

Michal Marcinkowski
January 9, 2005, 2:37 pm
caytchen: have you ever done a multiplayer game before?

caytchen
January 9, 2005, 2:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowskicaytchen: have you ever done a multiplayer game before?

Have you ever done sockets without Indy?

Droopy
January 9, 2005, 4:35 pm
OH MY GOD!!!!

caytchen
January 9, 2005, 4:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by DroopyOH MY GOD!!!!

This forum should really move on to forbid postings with more than 20% caps lock.

papasurf31
January 9, 2005, 6:01 pm
^amen^

Michal Marcinkowski
January 9, 2005, 6:04 pm
quote:Have you ever done sockets without Indy?
I only use Indy for the dedicated server because it's cross platform.

caytchen
January 9, 2005, 6:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowskiquote:Have you ever done sockets without Indy?
I only use Indy for the dedicated server because it's cross platform.

May you tell us what these packets are needed for?

Deleted User
January 9, 2005, 11:35 pm
It sounds to me like he just wants to find out whats in those extra packets. Honestly, Michal doesn't have to answer to anyone, especially not you, caytchen. You may have a veritable concern here, but you should express your ideas with respect especially considering that Michal is one person working on a game that several thousand enjoy.

He doesn't demand that you pay him for his work, and he has devoted an absurd amount of time to all of us in his efforts to make Soldat a great game.

Show some respect.

Jaz
January 10, 2005, 1:07 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt sounds to me like he just wants to find out whats in those extra packets. Honestly, Michal doesn't have to answer to anyone, especially not you, caytchen. You may have a veritable concern here, but you should express your ideas with respect especially considering that Michal is one person working on a game that several thousand enjoy.

He doesn't demand that you pay him for his work, and he has devoted an absurd amount of time to all of us in his efforts to make Soldat a great game.

Show some respect.

Show some loving....literally.

The Geologist
January 10, 2005, 1:23 am
Is this really that much of a problem? Not really IMO...and since caytchen can't seem to put forth his idea without being an ass to Michal, I highly doubt he'll get the answer he wants anytime soon. The next time you have another wonderful idea, try not being a jerk to the guy who makes the game.

Edit: quote:Originally posted by astarMaybe the guy who makes the game has to delicate an ego, and you people are to eager to suck up to him.

If being thankful to the guy who created a game I enjoy often is considered sucking up then I guess I'm guilty as charged. But considering how the first part of your comment is little more than assumption, I'd just as soon tell you to f*ck off and learn to spell.

astar
January 10, 2005, 2:29 am
Maybe the guy who makes the game has to delicate an ego, and you people are to eager to suck up to him.

astar
January 10, 2005, 7:57 am
Oh yes you surely are superior for seeing spelling mistakes. Being thankful ends and sucking up begins when you start flameing anyone you perceive as being rude to your precious game developer.

Edit:You being used in general for the average people posting in this thread. Not anyone in particular.

caytchen
January 10, 2005, 3:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliIt sounds to me like he just wants to find out whats in those extra packets. Honestly, Michal doesn't have to answer to anyone, especially not you, caytchen. You may have a veritable concern here, but you should express your ideas with respect especially considering that Michal is one person working on a game that several thousand enjoy.

Show some respect.

I dont want to know whats in the packets. I want to know: Why are there these packets?

Michal Marcinkowski
January 10, 2005, 5:26 pm
I measure the real ping time with them. I wonder if you are trying to help?

caytchen
January 10, 2005, 5:57 pm
Couldn't these be reduced? On slow connections they will slow down the whole thing. I think of a Ping check every 3 Seconds, that should be greatly enough.

LightBulb
January 10, 2005, 11:12 pm
it would be cool to have AAguns ontop of bases

KeFear
January 10, 2005, 11:22 pm
Err... LightBulb? What are you doing here?

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 11, 2005, 1:06 am
I...I guess hes on the wrong topic....

In any case, I've noticed that the lag has been drastically reduced since 1.1.3, and Soldat, being 2D, is not quite ready for any games thats larger then 20 people anyways, so the whole lag issue is not all that bad. If you continue to experience problems, just upgrade to DSL, if you can't, you shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Deleted User
January 11, 2005, 1:39 am
Besides, if you knew as much as you claim, caytchen, you'd know that since UDP has little to no error checking, its only reasonable to send more than one packet to make sure your transmission arrives. Try optimizing your connection and seeing how well your perform online then.

Will
January 11, 2005, 9:34 am
we must kill the n00bs who insult MM..... they are de-calming me....

caytchen
January 11, 2005, 2:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliBesides, if you knew as much as you claim, caytchen, you'd know that since UDP has little to no error checking, its only reasonable to send more than one packet to make sure your transmission arrives. Try optimizing your connection and seeing how well your perform online then.

I know this thing. UDP is buggy, but most packets reach their destination. But sth still remains: Around 4 Packets each second are too much.

-Claw-
January 11, 2005, 3:13 pm
well, 1-2 in 2 seconds should ot be too much when comparing to curret system, ping time is not very importatn, if it is updated in 2 seconds, it should be enough.. but that doesn't improve gamelag much, but little.. little + little + little + little = Much :)

Michal Marcinkowski
January 12, 2005, 7:48 pm
caytchen: I don't think you know much about what you're talking about. 4 packets a second is nothing and if someone has a laggy connection the information about his ping is really important. Soldat uses very little packets (about 10-40 a second, compared to Half-Life/Counter-Strike 50/200). Soldat produces lag but it is because of the way it is programmed (basicly everything is predicted by the client), it's more fun this way (try playing Battlefield with a ping over 100ms - impossible and frustrating). It's not because there are too many packets sent that lag occurs (of course on servers with decent bandwidth).