( search forums )
Grab
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
nemesiskobra
January 7, 2005, 11:51 am
I thought it would be interesting (while viewing the jungle map) if you could grab onto stuff. Like if there are spikes underneath, you could desperately try to grab at the walls on the side, or grab onto a swinging rope (some maps have them swinging as I saw it) or just grab someone for the heck of it.
Or maybe even catch a grenade and throw it back!
Thought it'd be really neat instead of like being unarmed, walk over a weapon, and it suddenly teleports into your arms.

Teh Panda
January 7, 2005, 12:01 pm
Hmm... I dont like it... Its too complicated to do. As it seems so simple.

KeFear
January 7, 2005, 1:19 pm
swinging ropes? Well the hell did you see those? :)

Anyway, nice idea, but not caching nades. but it won't happen.

Will
January 7, 2005, 6:47 pm
wouldnt work.

Meandor
January 7, 2005, 7:19 pm
I think it'd be awesome :d
Why wouldn't it work? ... (Will, stop spamming)

Chakra
January 7, 2005, 7:21 pm
freaky hijacking idea. What if you could grab onto ledges, Prince of Persia style?

Imagine a map much like lagrange, but you can jump up the side of a wall and grab onto the ledge, and lift yourself up. It'd revolutionise climbing maps..

papasurf31
January 7, 2005, 7:52 pm
Grab an enemy and take them hostage while you shoot over their shoulder? Fuking awesome. I like it.

Will
January 7, 2005, 8:10 pm
srry Meandor.... i have nothing better to do than wait for someone to post something so i can put another reply.

i think ill give it a break and go play soldat....

IDF-RIPsta
January 7, 2005, 8:24 pm
I think this is the next revolution after the "Superman" idea which added diversity to the jetpack usage.

I think it's a great idea.

Keron Cyst
January 8, 2005, 12:53 am
I really like the idea of swinging on ropes & such, but you should only be able to grab them if you're holding a weapon that grants a free hand ;-)

IDF-RIPsta
January 8, 2005, 10:45 am
No ropes... I agree only with the part of grabbing on to walls - Spiderman style...
We have Superman, and now we will hopefully have Spiderman...

m00`
January 8, 2005, 11:39 am
me likes this idea, reminds me of prince of persia ^^

Droopy
January 8, 2005, 1:55 pm
I like it, but we would need some different poly or a new collider of some sort, or at least you should be able to hold for only a few seconds(10 seconds maybe?) becouse if not, people could climb EVERYWHERE wich would result a game with, people climbing to reach the top of the map, and then grab the flag or something, not to mention the losses(you have 3 men, 2 are trying to climb over the map, while you try to hold all 3 enemies from reaching the flag. Yuck!

Other than that, I like it, yeah!

nemesiskobra
January 8, 2005, 3:10 pm
Heh I'm guessing my idea can be refined to this:
OK, no nade grabbing ;)

More like swinging on ropes when you jump off a ground and grab on to it and not swing after you grab onto it.
Maybe three seconds till you run out of stamina and relax for five...hey got a new idea: stamina!!! :D
anyways my point here is that when players slide into traps, they look helpless...by making them grab at the polys, they should look even MORE HELPLESS!!! >:D as they get dragged down into doom by gravity.
The animation part wouldn't be that bad I guess and the coding part won't be either I think because you can just add more friction to a specific point when you press the grab button and hold it like that, and apply the same properties of friction of polygons to players.
But hey come on guys, wouldn't it be awesome in realistic mode to go behind someone, grab them, and do a /brutalkill style kill with a knife in bullettime? pwned.

Michal Marcinkowski
January 8, 2005, 4:14 pm
These ideas are cool but they would be too complicated for network play. The swinging ropes would lag too much and grabbing people would be disastrous. One thing would work good: grabbing walls and sticking to them for a second or two, it would be like that bug in 1.05b where you could climb walls. But what key, maybe just the jump button?

Deleted User
January 8, 2005, 6:38 pm
I think just the jump button, and if you press jet button, you stops sticking.
And if you don't press jet, you are there for 3 secs.
And maybe make "stick polys": You can stick on them as long as you want.
And I think the weapon grabbing would be awesome. A POA file... I mean, The weapons on the ground are
more seeable when you are disarmed, and you have to stand on it and press throw gun button. Then the Soldier bends down and picks up the weapon.

So I think wall stick, and weapon grab would be cool.

Keron Cyst
January 8, 2005, 6:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiThese ideas are cool but they would be too complicated for network play....
That's what I was thinking...

Messiah
January 8, 2005, 6:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakrafreaky hijacking idea. What if you could grab onto ledges, Prince of Persia style?

Imagine a map much like lagrange, but you can jump up the side of a wall and grab onto the ledge, and lift yourself up. It'd revolutionise climbing maps..

And use the knife to hold onto trees or the roof! like spiderman and tarzan! Tarman!

Michal
January 8, 2005, 6:53 pm
I would like it if you could automaticly grab onto ledges that are 90ยบ or less and then either climb up, or duck to drop down.

Meandor
January 8, 2005, 6:57 pm
Maybe when a soldier is falling and collides an edge it enters a 'ahnging status' and pressing jump button makes him climb up.. climning is maybe too excessive (imo), unless there are special 'climb poligons', which would be represented with stones etc (scenery).

IDF-RIPsta
January 8, 2005, 7:23 pm
Sticky poly's are the key!
We don't want people randomly climbing on every wall they so please.

Maybe no other keys are required. You simply touch the wall and you stick to it until you press the jump key.

Imagine yourself jumping up from one side of the wall to the other.

Maluno
January 9, 2005, 2:46 am
Sticky Polys => me likes! :D

We could hang on walls and drop nades down on people. WEEE!! fUn!!!

ThE_cHeAt
January 9, 2005, 5:37 am
Nope. I don't like it. There are jet boots for a reason.

Unlucky 13
January 9, 2005, 7:15 am
But when you run out? On that edge over that old spike pit on jungle, that would look cool as.

js92647
January 9, 2005, 7:32 am
you guys are blowing this whole thing out of porportion. There is something called a level of dignity and a level of insanity. keep it a bit less complicated, grappling onto walls is.. i guess enough.

Also Michal: what if a person had a grappling hook, would that lag the game too? :|

astar
January 9, 2005, 11:36 am
I really like this idea, aslong as the time you can hold onto the wall is limited it would be fine.

I think it is important that you be able to spring out of the grab (jumping no further then you can from a running jump, maybe even less of a distance)

It would add a nice stylistic touch to the game, make movement more dynamic an dgive you more dodgeing opportunitys

Captain Ben
January 9, 2005, 11:48 am
i think, to add a challenge, you have a choice: jets or climbing walls.
still i like the idea of having them bot, though.
BUT, it would add a challenge (X2)
oh yeah, and astar, its
BORING

astar
January 9, 2005, 11:55 am
uh, climbing walls instead of using jets (a choice of either or) would only result in slowing the game down while people climb walls, and it would be boreing and crappy. Ben.

Liquid Metal
January 10, 2005, 2:18 am
Hmm, but what if some1 kept on climbing a jeting on the sides of maps? Teh ppl would reach places they arent supposed 2 be.

Jaz
January 10, 2005, 2:33 am
Id like a ninja rope gametype similar to worms armageddon :D. Where you can rope around special maps, and rope back with the flag or dm fighting with people hopping around on ropes....honest....i played worms armageddon for like 4 years mastering the ninja ropes and i allways wanted to play a game where i could shoot people and fly around on my ropes and it not being turnbased...i think it would be the best gametype ever.

The Geologist
January 10, 2005, 3:27 am
lol..I actually think there was a topic about a type of ninja rope, or at least some type of rope you could climb (maybe the rope was a secondary choice). Got shot down, I do believe...but this topic has raised my interest in the topic again, especially after hearing people talk about hanging onto the edges of polys and the like. Could be pretty useful to be able to grab on to something when you were running out of jet. Even Michal seemed interested in the idea of being able to stick to the walls for a second or two...