( search forums )
auto mod download?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Captain Ben
January 9, 2005, 11:41 am
ok....
as many of you may know, michal has added an automatic map download for the new version of soldat.
so... why not expand on the idea with an automatic mod download?
this could give players more options for themed servers like for example, in a knife dodge ball server with only the knife enabled, would appear as a red ball or a brick or whatever that person has modded it to.
i think the biggest problem though is that some mods do have large filesizes, mainly because of the sound files.
i think the easiest way to overcome this is by players can choose only bitmaps or or sound effects or both, depending on the file size.
or then again, can choose not to download it.

also how come my harpoon idea got locked? i searched the forums and nothing came up.

also, WTF is leiro!?!

tell me what you think.

papasurf31
January 9, 2005, 5:48 pm
I think it's been suggested before, but it should still be done. Simply getting the weapons gfx and interface gfx from the host should be rather easy to do and should not take long even on the slowest of systems. It might cause lag for those already playing if sounds are being downloaded though the server.

Liber_Lupus
January 9, 2005, 6:10 pm
If you have a option to not download it then why not.

Droopy
January 9, 2005, 6:25 pm
^^
Agree

blackdevil0742
January 10, 2005, 6:28 am
^^
^^
Agree

MOFO NOFO
January 10, 2005, 7:11 am
^^
^^
^^

agree.... But, would your original mod go back after you disconnect??

Magniitude
January 10, 2005, 11:44 pm
It should. You wouldnt want to get everyones mod each time.

Jap_man
January 11, 2005, 12:35 am
quote:Originally posted by Liber_LupusIf you have a option to not download it then why not.

Agreed

Rhombus
January 11, 2005, 7:20 am
u shuld definately have the option. One more thing tho.. Soldat loads the .bmps (weapons and gosteks and stuff) at the moment you start soldat. I tried it. Just start soldat, use alt+tab to get back and install your mod. Then press alt+tab till yer in soldat, and press start game... u wont see the mod. I think that would be kind of a problem.

papasurf31
January 11, 2005, 9:07 pm
Rhombus has a point, but if downloading the mod has you quickly exit out of soldat and immediately enter it again, this time automatically entering the server you just tried to join (the game would remember the ISP and passwords), i don't see why this idea wouldn't work.