( search forums )
Do you play to win?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
January 10, 2005, 4:42 am
Well recently i was playing in a server, where i got annoyed because somebody Made a stupid mistake which i thought he could have avoided and it cost us a cap, so i said "FFS, the flag was right in front of you" and then we got into a argument and they started saying [IMAGE] like "I have a life, i dont play this game all the time" and things along those lines

Him and another person based thier argument on "We play this game for fun", while i was stating that "We play it to win"....

Points on my argument:
1. Soldat is a competition
2. Objective is to beat the other team or player

Points of thier argument:
1. Soldat is a game
2. you play a game for fun...

So here i am, i ask you, the soldat community, whether you play this game for simply fun, or do you play it to win...

dont flame me or anything, i simply want opinions...

m00`
January 10, 2005, 5:00 am
eh.. I play for fun because I only play when im bored, im not in a clan so im not competitve

The Geologist
January 10, 2005, 5:22 am
I definately play for fun, but part of the fun is winning the game. I've had a few times when the flag carrier on my team missed a chance to cap because he was just standing there, and I definately speak up about it. I'm with ya on this one poop.

DannyLB
January 10, 2005, 5:33 am
I play for fun... and i still raise above...meh

IDF-RIPsta
January 10, 2005, 7:11 am
Initially I always start off playing for fun... until I come across a player that's a challenge to me.

My next mission then, is to do everything in my power to make this player play worse. At this "stage" of "rage", I don't care if I'm not ranked top, as long as that player isn't too.

How's that for friendly competition?

MOFO NOFO
January 10, 2005, 7:17 am
i play to gain skill, e.g. knife everone i see, or chain. Also, why do you bring you arguments from soldat into here???

Outcast
January 10, 2005, 10:47 am
I play to dominate the killing in any ctf game. When i wont be able to do that ill quit soldat, since i got used to it :P

palloco
January 10, 2005, 11:16 am
I only play to win in cws, that is why I rarely play cws, although it is still funny because it gives you a challenge. while in the rest of the games I gave myself another challenge, which is not necessarily to win, but to see how far I reach chainsewing, ho wmuch I can annoy someone...

KeFear
January 10, 2005, 11:59 am
Well.. let's see.

I play to win in:
-clanwars
-1vs1 matches

I play for fun in:
-most games

I play for my team to win in:
-ctf
-inf
-tdm (btw i rarely play tdm)

AerialAssault
January 10, 2005, 12:18 pm
i play for fun, but its more fun to win.

Avarax
January 10, 2005, 12:19 pm
i play for fun won climbing maps and ctf publics.
i play to win in DM (cause its not fun -.-), in 1on1 or in clanwars.

and still i have reallife ;Q

Chakra
January 10, 2005, 1:24 pm
I'm deadly serious about having fun...

Everyone plays to win. It's just a matter of how 'serious' you are about it. Coming to terms with being just a humble boy that isn't going to win every damn game you come across is something more people should embrace.

Fun = challenge.
challenge = a game.
a game = competition.
competition = fun.

Of course there'll always be those players who remain light-hearted on the matter and just enjoy blasting things around. They could be dubbed 'people who play for fun'.

CbbLe
January 10, 2005, 1:46 pm
ofcourse I play to win...winning is fun.

Melba
January 10, 2005, 2:24 pm
my motto:

Play for fun, not for real

Jaz
January 10, 2005, 2:28 pm
In cws I play serious in publics ill camp with barret, I don't really care. Publics are so crappy, and its fun to be called a noob while blind shooting noobies with a barret on b2b..its so fun :).

DeMonIc
January 10, 2005, 2:40 pm
I seek challange.And challange can be found in many things..either in making a team of newbies into a hard-core capping team, or taking on the enemy by one, and helping some poor sap from my team make a score.Harrassing an enemy player like Ripsta said also fits my definition of fun.:)

lieroguy
January 10, 2005, 3:22 pm
Sounds like your teammate was just making an excuse for his incredibly retarded performance.

Tavy
January 10, 2005, 3:28 pm
I definitly play for fun, but Soldat hasn't taken over my life.... yet.
But in clanmatches or CTF I definitly play for the team, it's kinda funny to get harassed for just being really good.

DT
January 10, 2005, 3:35 pm
yes... but i don't go to the extremes... aka camping,barrets,ect

Liber_Lupus
January 10, 2005, 5:34 pm
I play for fun. I enjoy hitting little pixelated boobies with ruger and de. Thats my fun. I used to care about winning alot, not anymore. Everyone cares about winning, some more, some less.

Transit
January 10, 2005, 6:09 pm
Winning is not always fun. For example if you kick the [IMAGE] out of a team of n00bs, then you feel empowered somehow? No...well at least I dont. In CW's the point of the match is to win, there would be no point in playing it unless you wanted to win. If you just played SOLELY for fun, then you'd play Soldat 24/7? Because it's fun? Anyways, in casual play the point which is emphasized is to have a jolly old time, but if the teams are uneven and you're getting your ass kicked then it's not so much fun..god i've gone and confused myself with this post :S. Oh well to sum it up I'd say that it really depends on the person. For example Poop has a competitive personality, I know him really well. He plays Soldat to get better, to be challenged, but most importantly to win. Winning isn't everything to everybody, but it matters a lot more to some. However, I think that the underlying point to all of this is that if you find that you're not having fun while playing, ever, then maybe it's time to call it quits. Because win or lose Soldat is a game, and PART of the game is to have fun, however small that part may be.

Cheers,
Transit

BMF
January 10, 2005, 6:23 pm
When I beat n00bs I feel better about myself.

MOFO NOFO
January 10, 2005, 6:41 pm
when i beat h@ckers i feel better about myself.. and i have the demo's to prove it :P

Deleted User
January 10, 2005, 9:11 pm
I always play for fun. No matter what. I don't play to win because I suck, the only thing I win at is Rambo. My favorite thing to do is annoy the hell out of people in public servers. I find it hilarious how people can't come to terms with barret or minigun.

_Mancer_
January 10, 2005, 9:22 pm
I play to win.

Psyker
January 10, 2005, 10:13 pm
depends on my mood

sometimes i really just don't feel like trying, and other times i only have fun when i win - most of the time i don't care, though.

Alakhai
January 10, 2005, 11:43 pm
Beh it's hard..
When i play a game i play alwais to win!!
I don't care what win.. but i win my fun then!
If i go in a public serv i don't care about scores sometimes.. coz maybe i'm playing for something else.. but alwais for win something lòl.. my fun!

Magniitude
January 10, 2005, 11:59 pm
I play to lose.

Spectral
January 11, 2005, 12:40 am
Magniitude is leet.
Nice topic Poop,
I play to win in matches and maybe 50% in public. The rest I just fool around with in a variety of manners.

Taxista
January 11, 2005, 1:09 am
Well in official wars i play to win off course.
In cws i play to train, so its a bit of both.
In fun games, as the name say i play for fun.

[S][K]Taxi

Skate4Razors
January 11, 2005, 1:17 am
I start to play for fun. But if someone kills me a few times in a row I get pissed. they start saying stupid stuff to me and crap. So, the usual thing happens, I scream like a wild monkey!! Then I get better because usually I make him/her suck ;)

Keron Cyst
January 11, 2005, 2:14 am
I try to just have fun. That's what games are, aren't they? Time-killers with a bit of some contentedness mixed in? ;-) But I also try to stay in the top three :-D

Jello
January 11, 2005, 2:52 am
I don't play to win USUALLY. Lately for instance, I've decided to improve my knife skills. So I switched my "throw weapon" button to spacebar, and just run around with a knife the whole game (works best on DMs). I obvously get low scores, but in the long run, It'll improve my knifing-and therefore my game. So I suppose that's playing to win...sort of. But its also just really fun to go knife-only.
I'm not really serious about Soldat anyways, seeing as I'm not that good. The better you are at something, the easier it is to get all serious and "play to win" or whatever.

Marine
January 11, 2005, 5:17 am
I play for fun, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. (Ain't that life?)

I look for fun. If we're totally getting pwned or pwning on one server, I'll move to another one with more team structure and cooperation (i.e, baiting someone or giving cover fire).

Ymies
January 12, 2005, 4:37 pm
competitive fun. when ppl play it for simple fun, they just play it for a few weeks and change the game, cos they get bored with random flying on random publics. I've been into soldat for a bit over 2,5 years now and can't find an end for it. all cos clans exist, they make the fun

Roy
January 12, 2005, 8:34 pm
Read the articles at http://www.sirlin.net and you will understand my own position on the matter. Specifically, the articles on Playing to Win, of course.

blackdevil0742
January 12, 2005, 10:14 pm
Played mostly for fun

kkazican
January 12, 2005, 10:38 pm
I try to kill as many people as possible. So basically I like to play to make others miserable.

Morik
January 12, 2005, 10:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by Psykerdepends on my mood

sometimes i really just don't feel like trying, and other times i only have fun when i win - most of the time i don't care, though.

This is kinda like me. My mood affects my skill, thus affecting my performance. I usually just play for fun though. Whenever im bored i just double click the old soldat icon and start playing. every now and then i hit a server with some veterans in it and then i play for serious.

3rd_account
January 13, 2005, 12:04 am
Of course I play Soldat as long as it's fun. Reaching the top is just a part that comes with it.

LazehBoi
January 13, 2005, 9:27 am
I usually play for fun on public servers (using a gun I don't normally use and such), but if it's a clan war or a serious 1vs1 (no barrets, I usually just run around laughing at them run or sit and wait if they use it constantly), I play seriously.

bucky_brad
January 13, 2005, 10:09 am
winning is fun

Enik
January 14, 2005, 10:54 am
I play for the fun, BUT if i think some dude [IMAGE]s up the game by camping/laming (and im not talkin bout once, but the whole game) and i lose, i get very frustrated really. And like there is said before, winning is fun, so when i win, im happy :)

AerialAssault
January 14, 2005, 12:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by MagniitudeI play to lose.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....hah....hehe...wooo...

the sheer unexpectancy of that response just struck me as hilarious.

Boxo
January 14, 2005, 1:18 pm
People who play to win have no life, or are just total tards and keep whining, whoring, abusing things etc.
people who play for fun, or play to win because it's fun might also not have a life (me), but are generally nicer, and not so whiney.

It pisses me off to see people refuse to play eg. realistic, because 'they haven't trained for it', or not play custom maps because they haven't optimized their perfomance in them >|

And, cos i'd be flamed to hell without saying this, this is just IMHO

Pulp
January 14, 2005, 3:15 pm
I only play to force my opponent(s) to lose, to see him/her/them getting lost.

Darky
January 14, 2005, 5:50 pm
There is mere one reason to why I play this game. To win. After being victorious, feeling god alike and getting the glory I deserve I love to confront the people I've challenged and defeated and laugh them right in their miserable faces while, with my most annoying voice, screaming 'sucker' a billion and yet a billion of times. Delight over other people's misfortunes is the only true delight.

__SnoOpy__
January 17, 2005, 1:39 am
I think it depends on the oppositions and the map.

For example, in Deathmatch games, I certainly play to win. But in race maps.. Just have fun

Icarius
January 17, 2005, 3:59 am
quote:Originally posted by BoxoPeople who play to win have no life, or are just total tards and keep whining, whoring, abusing things etc.
people who play for fun, or play to win because it's fun might also not have a life (me), but are generally nicer, and not so whiney.

Wow, keep backing up your arguements with nasty remarks and everyone will believe you! :D

Ok, an actual serious post from me for once. I play games against people because of the competition. I like to go into a game thinking the following.

"YES, I'm going to play soldat to have a good time and challenging fight with someone. If I win or lose, it doesn't matter, I will have gotten what I wanted out the game."

If people didn't provide me a challenge, I usually just keep blasting them till they start to learn from their mistakes and become a challenge for me. I've gone in games where I've hauled a [IMAGE] load of ass, and the majority of the players pick up and learn something from fighting me. They can obviously distingush who I am via my clothes and therefore, they know what tactics to use against me. This makes my game challenging and theirs too.

So no, I don't play to win, I play for a challenge. However, if winning is the only way people will get better, then it's just one of the things that goes with the game and thus I have to play to win to get what I want.

Zero Wiggles Murasame
January 17, 2005, 1:44 pm
I play for fun. cause either way I'll be in the top 5 rankings after a game.

Boxo
January 17, 2005, 2:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Icariusquote:Originally posted by Boxo
rant

rant

K, bad wording. Basically I mean, if you don't have fun playing, no matter if you lose or win, there's something wrong.

Swebonny
January 17, 2005, 7:01 pm
Well many of u says that they play for fun. Yeah me to but to be onestly i PLay to Win. But i dont say to the team tha lose "Omg u suck man..." I critic my self instead of criting others. Cuz if i drop the flag i dont say DONT TAKE THE FLAG IT IS MINE. I say " take it if u WANT. Many of u says i just play for fun bla bla bla
4 teams Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta u join the team u play. Yeah i think my self, u dont think i must lose i must lose.. Many of u said same [IMAGE] as me but i post it!!

I think many dont think that i said is good.. but i just wanna share what i think.

Marine
January 17, 2005, 9:27 pm
Who doesn't play Soldat to have fun? Whats the point of playing a game if there's no fun? Sure, it's fun to win, but I put fun over winning...

Melba
January 17, 2005, 10:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__I think it depends on the oppositions and the map.

For example, in Deathmatch games, I certainly play to win. But in race maps.. Just have fun

speaking of racing.... i miss it :(

PokePunkz
January 17, 2005, 10:23 pm
Eh, not a bad argument, never-the-less, I play for fun. Even though I'm in a clan etc, it's like, I'm in a clan for fun, more fun to play with friends than alone. :)

Spectral
January 18, 2005, 1:09 am
speaking of racing...I miss it as well...no doubt

Maluno
January 18, 2005, 2:09 am
I must say that I often play for fun on dm servers, (ie only using socom), and I find that I still often clean the server out pretty quick. When I am playing CTF or INF, though, I am most definately serious, as it is not just my score that is at stake, but the team, who is counting on me.

I try to utilize strategies, and often get annoyed when others dont take the game seriously.

BTW, if anyone else is like this, I have a SERIOUS problem with noticing when our flag is returned to our base. I often stand there for a few minutes holding the enemy flag, then happen to glance at the chat and see half the team screaming "YOU ****ing MORON CAP!!!"

What is really funny, though, is when some guy that is afk gets the flag and everyone else gets pissed cause they cant tk him. well... maybe more irritating than funny.

Morik
January 18, 2005, 4:16 am
quote:Originally posted by Maluno BTW, if anyone else is like this, I have a SERIOUS problem with noticing when our flag is returned to our base. I often stand there for a few minutes holding the enemy flag, then happen to glance at the chat and see half the team screaming "YOU ****ing MORON CAP!!!"

ahahaha that sounds like me. But i try to watch the little flag in the corner more.

Vijchtidoodah
January 18, 2005, 4:34 am
I know exactly how you feel Maluno. I'm usually an awesome player, but when I get the flag I'm a total noob. I go to the wrong places to hide, I forget to check when the flag is back, and I find myself attacking rather than defending...

But do I play to win? Hmmm...most definately not. If the game gets me frustrated or whatnot, I'll just leave and forget about my score. Some people get pissed off because they lose the flag in the middle of a tunnel due to ricochet, I get pissed off because my death wasn't more dramatic.

NightCabbage
January 18, 2005, 6:49 am
I play for the sheer challenge of losing.

Keron Cyst
January 20, 2005, 2:53 am
quote:Originally posted by NightCabbageI play for the sheer challenge of losing.

Must be hard to do.

Felix
January 20, 2005, 5:53 am
Me,I play to soldat to have a good time,win or loos,I learn a thing evrytime,and that's makes me
stronger :)
so,be careful if I loos,I returns to kick the butt to the one who beat me :D :D :D

Deleted User
February 17, 2005, 5:55 pm
I play for fun and for winning, mostly for fun.

Niff
February 17, 2005, 6:26 pm
In deathmatch and teammatch with people my level I generally play to win, but in every other mode I just have fun.. mainly because I suck at them.

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
February 17, 2005, 7:15 pm
In cws i play to win,i think everyone does that....in other servers i play for fun but when a good player comes in i try to prove im better than him

Captain_Jimbo
February 21, 2005, 6:09 am

I feel shamed if I'm not in the top 2. I'm a win-whore =(

Deleted User
February 21, 2005, 8:28 am
I play for fun about 70% of the time while other 30% I'm serious if there is a good reason for it. I don't care about winning or losing that much whatsoever as long as everyone is having fun.

February 21, 2005, 12:23 pm
I play for fun 30% of the time. The rest, i'm either playing seriously or taking dumb pot shots. But still, i feel sad if i don't come in the top 5. :( If it's ctf with less than 10 players, i play seriously. more, i take out the minigun and fire away/barret pot shoot

Narzul
February 21, 2005, 2:52 pm
I play for fun and to become better

Elemental
February 21, 2005, 9:02 pm
Im pretty sure there are more "noobs" in soldat than non-noobs, so when I see that I do really well, I don't really have fun, because Im playing with people who suck..But when i play someone I know is good, and win the competition between him, then its fun:D Also, in my opinion, if you play with friends, either from your clan or anywhere, I think that that makes the game SO much more fun. Especially since you can share funny moments that occur in the game :D

February 22, 2005, 10:22 am
yes, that feeling of being the best of the best is exhiliarating. And playing against your friends is better, lan party, laughs and fun. we had soldat in our school one day. it was so fun
and we we're laughing our heads off. In fact, i introduced some new players to it. But someone screwed wit it and we can't play no more. (damn school admins) Oh well.

Iori Branford
February 23, 2005, 9:06 am
This goes for every game I play.

I play for fun, but I still play the game. No idle chatting, no [IMAGE]ing at people if I'm losing, no going off and doing my own thing (like stunting in UT2004 -- God, I hate stunters and the StuntHQ mod -- or playing with physics in a Source engine game), and absolutely no griefing.

-Claw-
February 24, 2005, 12:41 am
In 1v1, to win, in team games, to win (except publics)

Sometimes i feel myself so noob that i have to amp to have my K:D over 1

and sometimes i feel like owning everyone who is standing on my way.. depends on day.. :|

Deleted User
February 24, 2005, 6:03 pm
It depends on if I care or not. Sometimes, I'll whip out the M79 and go crazy. Others, I'll just sit back with the Barrett and chill.