( search forums )
INF_Great_Wall (Map released!)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
The Geologist
January 10, 2005, 10:09 am
Okay...got some more work done, added some new screenies. Check 'em out and post any ideas or comments. I still need comments on what kind of INF map people would prefer (reverse or regular). Anyone interested in using this in their server rotation when it gets finished?

Updates: New screenshots, changed some of the backgrounds, added sceneries.

Overview:
[IMAGE]

Some of the tunnels (columns and lighting added):
[IMAGE]

Inside the wall (some scenery added, and the background texture was changed):
[IMAGE]

Map released! Check it out!

Avarax
January 10, 2005, 10:41 am
looks good, a bit plain but if you add scenery - fine

Deleted User
January 10, 2005, 11:07 am
could be a nice one to play on

Yukwunhang
January 10, 2005, 11:17 am
Is it the Great Wall in China?

Avarax
January 10, 2005, 11:33 am
hm, maybe there should be some spawns IN the wall...

The Geologist
January 10, 2005, 11:42 am
quote:Originally posted by yukwunhangIs it the Great Wall in China?

Yes, it's supposed to be. I know it's not accurate, but it's a Soldat map and it's 4:45 am over here. Comment on the map.

quote:Originally posted by Avaraxhm, maybe there should be some spawns IN the wall...

I thought about that, but it will be easy enough to get into the wall from where the blue team spawns.

grand_diablo
January 10, 2005, 6:11 pm
I dont like the rocky background scenery (the one in the wall), but except that, this map could turn out very nice.

The Geologist
January 11, 2005, 12:24 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloI dont like the rocky background scenery (the one in the wall), but except that, this map could turn out very nice.

Really..? I thought it looked pretty good...and isn't the great wall made up of bricks/stones anyhow? Oh well..it would take two seconds to change that scenery out for another. Thanks for the input...any comments on whether or not this should be a regular INF or a reverse INF?

MercyM
January 11, 2005, 1:49 pm
This is nice, really nice. I like the shading 9.5/10

Boxo
January 11, 2005, 2:56 pm
love it, expect you might want to think of some other way to do the edge between the normal and the scererytexture background (which doesn't differ much enough from actual polgons in the underground, so that needs something else too), like place colums in the intersection.

very nice,

Yukwunhang
January 11, 2005, 3:20 pm
Actually the Great Wall is yellow in color..

The Geologist
January 11, 2005, 3:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by yukwunhangActually the Great Wall is yellow in color..

Yeah yeah...I looked around on the web a bit, saw it was made of bricks and in some places had a yellowish color. But some of the pics I saw looked less yellow and more gray. That, and my attempts with a yellowish wall looked, well..wierd.

Not one person can seem to comment on what I'd like them too (in terms of whether this map should be rever or regular inf). Is anyone reading my first post? Because I don't want to hear people groaning when I release a reverse style inf map if I'm here asking for peoples opinions on the matter. My goal is to get this map into the rotation of a server or two, so feedback on what the general community would prefer is greatly appreciated.

grand_diablo
January 11, 2005, 4:56 pm
Id prefer a normal inf map, not reversed. But you could place the objective inside the wall, and the white flag behind it, so the infiltratours would have to split up into two teams: one trying to steal the objective, and one fighting their way to the white flag and securing the place there.

Deleted User
January 11, 2005, 5:05 pm
I think that looks great :)

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 1:00 am
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloId prefer a normal inf map, not reversed. But you could place the objective inside the wall, and the white flag behind it, so the infiltratours would have to split up into two teams: one trying to steal the objective, and one fighting their way to the white flag and securing the place there.

I had been thinking about that idea, and that may actually be the way I do this map. I mean, the whole point of thie map is, in a sense, to storm the wall, get past it, etc...so that setup would work pretty well. Thanks for the input!

Edit: The bots also don't follow the paths I've created in a reverse style inf, so this way will prolly be the one. I should have this map out tonight since I'm just working on the waypoints now.

Edit 2: Boxo - I ran into the scenery limit, so I might not be able to do as you asked. However, the edges of the polys in the tunnel and the backgrond are pretty clear in game, and with the columns I added in there the discinction should be clear. Didn't have enough sceneries to do the wall as well. I'd go back and change this, but deleting sceneries deletes some of the background sceneries, and it's a hude pain in the ass redoing the sceneries on top of those (if all that makes sense). ^_^

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 12, 2005, 5:04 am
awww darn I couldn't find your server last night so I couldn't test it :(

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 5:10 am
Heh heh...yeah, I had a little comp trouble, took a few moments to get it up. Its okay though...map is released! Check it out people!

DannyLB
January 12, 2005, 5:19 am
What's this? a map by The Geologist? :o

And it's also very good. This i must get