( search forums )
help with this error
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Magniitude
January 11, 2005, 12:18 am
When i try to run DOS programs, i get this error message : C:\Windows\system32\AUTOEXEC.NT. This system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

A lot of old games i play run in DOS, so does anyone know how i can fix it? I'm running Windows XP home edition.

Vijchtidoodah
January 11, 2005, 12:36 am
Right click on it and choose properties. If you look around, it should give you a choice of different modes to execute the program in. Try playing around with those.

Deleted User
January 11, 2005, 12:48 am
If that doesn't help, then you may need to make a copy of your autoexec.NT file and paste it into the root of your drive, i.e, C:
Sometimes that'll fix it, sometimes it won't. Also, make sure they are both read-only, because if they aren't, that can also cause problems for you.

Chakra
January 11, 2005, 2:48 am
Woah there muchacho. Alot of games you play run in 'MS DOS mode' ... some of the really old games simply demand being played in nothing other than REAL DOS. The real thing. XP Does not come with DOS. The last Windows to come with DOS in fact was 95, with less support on 98 and ME.

You can get a programme called DOS Box - it runs DOS games on XP. It has one minor quibble though: it requires at least a 3ghz machine to run it.

Tha Doggfather
January 11, 2005, 11:27 am
I just had the very same problem last night, when I was trying to install this old Windows 95 Game called Blade Runner.

I came up with this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

I did that, and it worked (Thanks again Peter ;))

palloco
January 11, 2005, 11:35 am
chak, get more info. w98 has complete support for msdos because is is msdos with a gui, just like win95.

If dosbox does not work, and compatibility mode in propeties does not work, you will have to install a dos compatible OS to run the application.

Magniitude
January 11, 2005, 8:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha DoggfatherI just had the very same problem last night, when I was trying to install this old Windows 95 Game called Blade Runner.

I came up with this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

I did that, and it worked (Thanks again Peter ;))

But what if i downloaded this game? I downloaded the original GTA off the internet, and i dont have a CD to use it. It's not exactly a dos program, just says that it runs in it or somewhat.

It was working ok about a month ago too. My dads computer can run the dos files, but now mine. We both have XP home edition/

Tha Doggfather
January 11, 2005, 9:02 pm
"Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive."

They mean the Windows CD (don't tell me you downloaded that too).

Magniitude
January 12, 2005, 12:17 am
No, my windows XP came installed with the computer.

And GTA is freeware (no im not warezing.)

Unlucky 13
January 12, 2005, 2:31 am
If it came with your PC you get an OEM disc, or it is a bad-assed seller.
Meh, all i get are runtime errors, and I just get a patch to fix them.

frogboy
January 12, 2005, 3:03 am
I'd follow Chak's advice and use DOSBox.