( search forums )
INF_Great_Wall 1.0
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 4:51 am
Here it is...the Great Wall of China. And while it may not be yellow as some people pointed out, this is the result of my work. Hope you guys enjoy it. Thanks for the input during the creation of this map. I'd like to see this map on public servers if it proves enjoyable. If anyone is interesting in putting it in their server rotation I'd be honored. Here's the breakdown:

* INF mode only
* Best for 10+ players.
* Fully waypointed (Red bots can score, and blue bots defend the wall/white flag for defense)
* Custom sceneries, so make sure you out 'em in the scenery.gfx folder

The objective is to basically storm the wall and move the objective back behind it, but it's not as easy as it looks. Any comments/suggestions/bugs/etc let me know so I can release a second version.

The Download

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Rambo_6
January 12, 2005, 5:01 am
Good map, but the areas are a bit open spaced, eh?

I like how you use the col sceneries in the caves to make th supports ;)

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 5:09 am
Meh...I was thinking about that a bit. The tunnels aren't as open as they may look, and the inside of the wall is fairly close quarters. With the stat guns on the top of the wall, you might not have as much open space as you might think when you get close to the wall. o_O Thanks Rambo!

Unlucky 13
January 12, 2005, 6:27 am
LOL! It took me a minute to find the download button! All I want to know is what .bmps go where? Anyway, GJ on looks D/L!

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 6:49 am
Check the txt file in the .zip, it should tell you everything you need to know.
1)porzeczka.bmp goes in the texture file.
2)the other 6 .bmps go in the scenery.gfx file

KeFear
January 12, 2005, 10:29 am
Hmm.. nice map, i like it, good job!

But you should put the files in a nice way in that zip. Like Scenery-gfx, maps and textures folders. It wouldn't take much longer than as it is now, and people wouldn't be confused ;)

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 11:10 am
I tried...for some reason they still came up like that. I originally had the scnery in a folder and such..ah well.

Sprocket
January 12, 2005, 4:24 pm
looks nice...
i see you have used you own style for you recent maps.. i like that..

DeMonIc
January 12, 2005, 4:41 pm
*me tries to find his jaw that just fell off*
This map is awesome.*dl*'nuff said.
Geo, I think you have to tick out "archieve subfolders" or something like that in order to make the zip less chaotic ;)

The Geologist
January 12, 2005, 11:42 pm
Yeah, I've been looking around for something like that, but I can't seem to find it..oh well, I'll just keep lookin'. Thanks for the comments.

Yukwunhang
January 13, 2005, 9:51 am
I'll add this into my maplist :D
->[spoiler]9/10[/spoiler]<-

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 9:52 am
Thank you very much! ^_^ If you experience any problems let me know so I can release an updated version.

Yukwunhang
January 13, 2005, 10:51 am
Something missing..
[IMAGE]

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 10:58 am
You're missing one of the jungle tree.bmps...sorry, I thought it came with the game and everyone had it. Here's a link so you can download it and add it to your scenery.gfx folder. Jungle Tree 2.1

Yukwunhang
January 13, 2005, 11:53 am
I got this scenery already...but there are still something missing..

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 12:10 pm
Are you sure? I've checked the map a few times now...jungletree2.bmp is the scenery that is where those white boxes are. Are you sure it's in your scenery.gfx file?

Yukwunhang
January 13, 2005, 1:51 pm
Yes, I'm sure there is a jungletree2.bmp.

Deleted User
January 13, 2005, 2:28 pm
Looks like a good map but downloading 1.8 mb with a modem would be kind of pain in the ass. (If put on some servers map rotation that is)

Chakra
January 15, 2005, 8:52 am
I would simply love to play this. It looks like a more approachable version of alcatraz. Although that building/wall looks like it'd be very hard for red team to enter, especially after travelling so far to get there. Is there just the entrance on the left and right of the wall?

The Geologist
January 15, 2005, 9:05 am
Chakra: There are two entrances on each side of the wall...one on ground level, and one a bit higher up and (nearly) flag level.

Yukwun: My apologies!! I recently got a scenery called jungletree2.1, which is simply a mirrored image of jungletree2. My mistake. There's a new link up for you and anyone else who is missing this .bmp.
Jungletree2.1

Thanks for the comments, and yes, I know it was big ;) Had to be big to give the tunnels a background...I'll try to make future maps more convenient for the modem peoples.

grand_diablo
January 15, 2005, 9:50 am
Did you know that you can mirror sceneries simply with the "Scale Width" function? :P

The Geologist
January 15, 2005, 10:43 am
lol...didn't know that. But he'd still need to get the scenery I used to make those white boxes disappear, correct?

Michal
January 15, 2005, 4:07 pm
Wow, nice.
Dosn't remind me much of the great wall, but still 10/10 :)
I like the backgrounds, they look good.

bananaboi
January 24, 2005, 1:02 am
wow really cool map! i like being on the blue team in this level, by the way, how much time did it take you to make this map?

The Geologist
January 24, 2005, 1:43 am
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys, I really appreciate it.

Banana - It took about 6-7 hours spread out over the course of a couple days. I laid out the basic design of the map in the first hour or so, and the rest was just tinkering with the map, making the sceneries, waypoint, etc. Took so long because I like to (try) and make the first release glitch free.

mar77a
January 24, 2005, 1:46 am
OMG! This map ROCKS! Kick ass! 10/10!

PS: Reminds me of CS's cs_siege...in the tunnels part...

bananaboi
January 24, 2005, 5:48 pm
man 6 to 7 hours!?!?!? wow well anyway good job The Geologist may i suggest that you make a part 2 of the map cause i really like it

Magniitude
January 24, 2005, 8:30 pm
I agree with Michal. I thought the Great Wall was supposed to be thousands of miles long? Looks like the tunnels make up a large part of it in this map. Other than that, it's still unbelievably godly.

easy 10/10

The Geologist
January 25, 2005, 1:47 am
It's obviously not a real representation of the Great Wall. And think about it...if you cut across the great wall (i.e. a cross section), you'd only get one section like I have on my map. I just added the tunnels for alternative routes..

Regardless, thank you!

grand_diablo
January 25, 2005, 9:09 pm
Ill add this map to the Selfkill INF server circle in the next days

Chakra
January 28, 2005, 6:37 pm
It actually plays really well. Had a game with it on the dedicated SUS Sebastian's server. Very reccomended! Long wait when you download it though.

The Geologist
January 28, 2005, 7:00 pm
Yeah :/ That'd be all the sceneries and stuff...I've been trying to make maps that are more download friendly without sacrificing the good layouts/backgrounds that make it visually appealing. Thanks again folks. If you like this INF map, I hope you'll like my next INF creation, in the works and nearly complete ^_^

Edit: Thanks G-D!!

||
||
||
\/

grand_diablo
February 4, 2005, 10:49 pm
Now that I have regained the access to the Selfkill CS4U servers (they changed IP without noticing), i have uploaded inf_Great_Wall and added it to the map pool.

This is where it runs:
195.13.62.131:27000

chakapoko maker
February 6, 2005, 1:29 am
[+]
big! so i will run on this map and will do some drive by thingy. that's one of fun elements of this game :)

[-]
i guess it's hard to get the blue flag. it's kinda secure.
in the stone, there's no difference between crate with collider and crate without it.

Magniitude
February 6, 2005, 3:13 am
what i had mentioned before was to make the wall in length, not just sliced in half. That just might've made it more recognizable.

The Geologist
February 6, 2005, 3:32 am
Perhaps an idea for a new map. I could see a good map with a route on top of the wall and then a few within the wall itself...maybe even one that looked like you were walking alongside the hill, but I'm not sure how I'd make that work. Anyhow, I see what you're saying now, and thanks.

In a bit of responce to why I chose that layout, I had originally thought of outting in a Mongol style base camp at the bottom where red spawns, and some more scenery behind the wall, just for visual kicks ya know? But I quickly hit the scenery limit and that idea got tossed...the map was large enough as is ;D