( search forums )
NEW! System for Mods and Weapon Editor
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
KeFear
January 12, 2005, 4:32 pm
Hi!

I made a little screen to demonstrate my idea: (notice, that is gostek, not ghostek ;) )

[IMAGE]

Forgive it's ugliness, it is just a scratch.

Anyway, here is the idea:

Let's expand Soldat a bit by adding more Modding abilities. there would be a mod changer in Soldat, as you can see it on the image above.

The mods could change almost everything in soldat, as you can see on the image too.

And here is some tricky part: the "hard" mods could only be played by the same mods. Let me explain if you don't get it: for example, the Star Wars mod changes everything in the game, weapon images, statistics, ghosteks, interface, maps, music, everything. Even the background graphics of the menu. Now, if someone starts a server with this mod, you could only join it, if you have that mod too. If you don't have it, Soldat would write some text out like "Get this l337 mod from http://l337soldatmod.com" So you could download it if you want.
And there would be "light" mods, like interfaces, music, and stuff like this.
EDIT: These wouldn't need to have the same mod to play.
But weapon changes would always be "hard" mods.

Of course, the soldat directory would need some changes too, like this:

Soldat main folder:
|-mods
..|-Batman
..|-default
..|-StarWars
.....|-Anims
.....|-Interface-gfx
.....|-Gostek-gfx
.....|-Objects
.....|-Objects-gfx
.....|-Sfx
.....|-Sparks-gfx
.....|-Weapons-gfx

So every mod would be seperated.

Of course, this would need massive changes in Soldat, and an advanced weapon editor.

What do you think?

EDIT: I forgot to put disable/enable bink on the image, but i mention it here. Bink could be disabled/enabled by mods.

And another thing: the lobby should be changed a bit too, to display what mod the server is running.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Addon by Aquarius:

the weapon editor would need also:

- weapon-bink (how much the weapon is affected by bink effect)
- weapon-reloading-type (normal/Spas-like)
- weapon-telescope (Barret view-finder; 0=no; 0 < distance)
- weapon-telescope-when (when the telscope is active; 0=never, +1=prone +2=crouch +4=stand [so 7 would be always])
- weapon-throw-distance (knife)

- bullet-rotation-speed (M79 grenade rotates around its axis, 0 - no rotation)
- bullet-type (bullet/missile/greande/fire)
- bullet-number (like Spas or DE, more bullets with one shot)
- bullet-spread-angle (like some autos, DE and Spas)
- bullet-spread-angle-crouch (spread when player is crouching may be different, like in MP5)
- bullet-spread-angle-prone (as above when player prones)

missile/grenades would need also:
- explosion-radius
- explosion-damage
- explosion-image (link to animation of explosion)

aaaand:

- bullet-ricochet-angle (let's play pinball! :D)

DeMonIc
January 12, 2005, 4:38 pm
The weapon editor's future is that it will be extended, imho.And I think you just made a nice overall system for mods :) I like it realllllllllyyyy much, szép munka, bravo, 16/10..what can I say :)

btw:it's gostek, not gHostek.

KeFear
January 12, 2005, 4:40 pm
allright, i figured it out it's gostek. Forgive my dumbness ;)

Aquarius
January 12, 2005, 5:03 pm
the weapon editor would need also:

- weapon-bink (how much the weapon is affected by bink effect)
- weapon-reloading-type (normal/Spas-like)
- weapon-telescope (Barret view-finder; 0=no; 0 < distance)
- weapon-telescope-when (when the telscope is active; 0=never, +1=prone +2=crouch +4=stand [so 7 would be always])
- weapon-throw-distance (knife)

- bullet-rotation-speed (M79 grenade rotates around its axis, 0 - no rotation)
- bullet-type (bullet/missile/greande/fire)
- bullet-number (like Spas or DE, more bullets with one shot)
- bullet-spread-angle (like some autos, DE and Spas)
- bullet-spread-angle-crouch (spread when player is crouching may be different, like in MP5)
- bullet-spread-angle-prone (as above when player prones)

missile/grenades would need also:
- explosion-radius
- explosion-damage
- explosion-image (link to animation of explosion)

aaaand:

- bullet-ricochet-angle (let's play pinball! :D)

b00stA
January 12, 2005, 7:01 pm
I really like it, but I have one question:
Let's say I select a "hard" mod changing everything and I join another server using another hard mod. Will I be forced to use the server's choice of interface? Can't I have my own sounds?
I'm not sure how Soldat should handle it.
Maybe an option to force the interface by the client?

Deleted User
January 12, 2005, 7:07 pm
<33333333333333333333333333

Yes :D and a download system much like the map download for grabbing mods from servers. However, images + sounds are big files...it'd be nice if the lobby told you the size of the download, then you accept/decline the download.

KeFear
January 12, 2005, 7:26 pm
The interface could be changed manually if you want, but certain mods could include the interface as well to give you a more gentle feeling of the theme of the mod. Of course this could be changed by any user.

A download system for mods should work as well, but could cause huge lag for players already in the server, thats why i don't reccommend it, but of course it is undecided (as all the other things ;> )

Mods that are tiny in size could be downloaded automatically of course.

Teh Panda
January 12, 2005, 8:45 pm
I think it would be hard to make, but i think its worth it!

kkazican
January 12, 2005, 10:30 pm
I think if the server is using a "hard mod" then you automatically download the mod and it saves it into the mods folder so it is accessable to you for future uses instead of having to you go through the process of going on the internet and trying to find it.

3rd_account
January 13, 2005, 1:04 am
It's like better than sex !! :D

It'd be a real pickle to program all that though...

Aegis
January 13, 2005, 1:51 am
Glad to see someone actually decided to think out how to integrate this all into Soldat itself. I think this would be a great idea.
If this was introduced, there would also be a good need for a server filters options for mod. Maybe just an extra dropbox similar to the MP3 playlist selecter, except it shows all your installed mod folders and is nestled inside the filters panel.

If by hard mods you mean the ones that change weapon and physics settings, i'd agree you should obviously be in sync with the server you connect to. I think if you want to use your own interface, simply join a default server and use it.

The only problem I see with creating "hard" mods (and I do like the idea of it very much) is that you have to create a method to verify that everyone is using the same exact settings and files, (the same mod, It should be server-side verified)

Good idea, KeFear.

Chakra
January 13, 2005, 1:36 pm
I approve of something like this. Although I can't decide what would be better. Weapon modifications downloadable from servers, or entire mods, with themes, downloadable from sites and played by fans.

Yes. I think the latter is better.

Droopy
January 13, 2005, 3:16 pm
I like it.

papasurf31
January 13, 2005, 10:01 pm
physics...but great idea.

Also need:
-weapon position in terms of soldier ie. how the soldier holds the weapon-gfx in game. It would be weird if a soldier held a minigun by the front end etc.
-weapon recoil in realistic (how much the cursor jerks up with each shot)
-weapon throw damage (0=none, 0>=amount of damage)
-single shot reload (like the spas, 0=no, 1=yes)
-back force (like minigun and Law pushes you back when fired)
-rate of damage deterioration (how fast and how much the bullet gets weaker since leaving the barrel)
-smoke effects (like LAW, 0=no, 1=yes)
-charge time (like minigun, 0=none, 0>=seconds needed for charge up)
-melee damage (whether or not it actually shoots anything)
-melee range (how far weapon can reach)
-constant damage or single shot damage (chainsaw or knife stab/slash function)

Michal
January 13, 2005, 11:26 pm
Yes! Wow, excellent idea
*applauds*
I thought of a built in mod changer a while ago, but this is far better IMO,
all these extra features would really come in handy.

Tribersman-FR
January 14, 2005, 9:07 pm
I like IT !!!

i think it's that missing to really mods Soldat ...

I don't say I didn't like Soldat with no mods: but Half-life is the better game of the world (:D) but the better is the possibility to mods it and do a game totaly opposed

Deleted User
January 15, 2005, 10:17 am
Yeah! Cool idea, BAROMI JÓ, Very nice screenshot too, it would be useful, really useful!

DerF-
January 15, 2005, 12:28 pm
Nice idea!

KeFear
January 16, 2005, 10:08 pm
So.. i hope Michal reads this, i'm curious what he will say about this idea.

DeMonIc
January 17, 2005, 5:35 pm
You can always send him a PM...

Michal Marcinkowski
January 19, 2005, 8:32 pm
This would be nice but damn I hate making UI (it should be also moddable;)). Well if I decide to make these kind of mods to Soldat it will be probably needed and then I will do it.

KnOt
January 21, 2005, 9:15 am
It's needed, IT'S NEEDED. :Q

bananaboi
January 21, 2005, 6:19 pm
it would be really perfect to alot of people like me because i cant keep track of my mods

Keron Cyst
January 21, 2005, 11:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by DerF-Nice idea!

MercyM
January 22, 2005, 12:56 pm
Everything else is OK, but that mod CHANGER is pretty good idea. You could save your mods to soldat folder and change them when you want, automaticly. Soldat is even better if Michal does this. ;D

KeFear
March 1, 2005, 12:53 am
Bring it up. Any new comments on the idea? ;)