( search forums )
Possible Solution to the Bink Problem
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Vijchtidoodah
January 12, 2005, 11:17 pm
I personally don't have any problem with bink as it is, but people in the game have been complaining like little girlies.

Anyhoo, what if instead of it just affecting your accuracy, it moves your cursor up and down (like kick in realistic mode) so that if you're good enough you could counteract this effect quickly.

Pros:
-The accuracy of your shot still relies on how quickly you can aim.
-It won't be completely useless on people who learn to cope with this effect because they can still be hit just before they shoot causing their shot to go off in some odd direction.

Cons:
-Complaining from people who like bink the way it is.

Just throwing this idea out there, I don't know if it's better or worse than bink but at least it's an alternative to consider.

Deleted User
January 12, 2005, 11:27 pm
I don't like my cursor jumping around. My aim sucks enough as it is, and with my mouse seizuring around on both Normal and Realistic modes it'll all go to hell.

kkazican
January 13, 2005, 12:51 am
I know the solution. /mute2 or if the guy's position is 8 /mute8

BAM! No more whiners

Jaz
January 13, 2005, 12:53 am
Disagree. Realistic is realistic, just heavily reduce the bink or remove it completely. It has absolutly no need at all....I think it should only be in realistic mode.

The true problem in bink isn't the cursor size changing, its when I get hit and shoot, its either wildly inaccurate or i shoot the ground and die, or if im jetting beside a ceiling, I allways shoot the ceiling. Its really not needed and [IMAGE]s up m79...

Chakra
January 13, 2005, 12:56 am
Actually, this sounds pretty [IMAGE]ing sweet....it'd have to be tested though. For all we know it's too easy or too hard to cope with.

Jaz
January 13, 2005, 1:02 am
quote:Originally posted by ChakraI LOVE REALISTIC MODE I LOVE REALISTIC MODE I LOVE REALISTIC MODE MAKE SOLDAT REALISCTIC MODE.

translation :).

3rd_account
January 13, 2005, 1:08 am
We sure as hell didn't have any sort of bink in 1.1.5, and that was a great version with the best weapon balance so far.

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 1:29 am
I'd like this idea, mainly because I've been beginning to enjoy realistic mode a lot more as of late. But I'd bet we'd see people who whine about the bink now whine about this solution as well.

The bink is fairly easy to aim with as is, in fact one of the only problems I have with it is when I want to switch weapons while being shot. But that's not too often if I'm using a one hit weapon like the m79 or law..either I hit and kill, or I miss and I'm dead anyway. Since the first seems to be the case more often than not, I'm wondering if this solution would make things easier or harder. What would happen in realistic mode? Shooting while getting shot = ultra kick? We might see even fewer people trying realistic if that would be the case. Regardless...an interesting proposal.

Jaz
January 13, 2005, 2:15 am
This would make autos even more powerful.

Vijchtidoodah
January 13, 2005, 2:20 am
It would be just the same as bink, except that you would have the opportunity to try to fix the change quickly enough to shoot in the right direction before getting hit again.

It wouldn't make the autos more powerful at all.

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 2:37 am
Agreed...it seems that if this idea is really like the kick on realistic, you'd have more of an element of control than with the bink. If you really have such a problem with blowing yourself up Jaz, how could you not agree that removing the "randomness" with which the bink changes your aim and using this idea instead would be better? At least explain why autos would be more powerful.

frogboy
January 13, 2005, 2:48 am
May I bring you back for a second to 1.1.5/1.2. Barret threads every week, with the barret supporters arguing with everyone else about the power of Barret. In 1.2 betas, the Barret was nerfed. However, after an outburst from Cbble, it was restored to its former power, and autos were powered up to counteract this, however, the barret was still considered as overpowered.

Again, in betas, this time for 1.2.1, Michal decided on a new way to balance the weapons: bink. During the betas, nobody (again, except for Cbble) had a problem with this.

So my solution to this is to just nerf the autos to their 1.1.5 power, which is possible thanks to the new weapons damage modifier. Autos will take ~12 shots to kill with (about a third of the clip). Barret/M79 will still take still to use. Everybody wins.

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 2:52 am
Sounds reasonable...but what about those individuals who complain about blowing themselves up so often because of the bink?

wormdundee
January 13, 2005, 3:24 am
although this may be slightly biased, the bink actually seems to be ok on most weapons except for rugers

a ruger against an auto in medium-close range will almost always die because the bink totally [IMAGE]s on the aim, i dont mind the bink all that much except for the fact that i can be an inch away from someone with an auto(on the monitor), we'll both be shooting and my shots will either go into the ground or way over the other guys head

i used m79 for the entire day yesterday and its not nearly as bad as ruger bink, although i did end up killing myself a couple times

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 3:36 am
Speak for yourself...I use the ruger often and experience little problem with it. "will almost always die" is a vast overstatement and if you have this much of a problem with ruger you probably need more practice. Some of my quickest kills come in close range with a ruger...two shots and the enemy is dead before they can get too many rounds off.

KeFear
January 13, 2005, 8:05 am
I experience the same as wormdundee described, well, i think i don't die that often, but bink totally screws up rugers aiming. The worst problem with bink is that you can not control it. you can have a perfect aiming, but if you are binked, only luck is what makes the bullet hit the enemy or hit the wall instead.

But as geo said: if you are fast enough to shot with ruger, it is the most deadly weapon.

LazehBoi
January 13, 2005, 9:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Jazquote:Originally posted by ChakraI LOVE REALISTIC MODE I LOVE REALISTIC MODE I LOVE REALISTIC MODE MAKE SOLDAT REALISCTIC MODE.

translation :).

Where has that sense of humour been?

(Yes I did actually find that funny).
Anyway, I don't really like it. I prefer bink as it is (I LOVE laming with the barret when I feel like messing around).

Jaz
January 13, 2005, 11:42 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist"will almost always die" is a vast overstatement and if you have this much of a problem with ruger you probably need more practice.

Ok..you said this to wormdundee who is very good at ruger. If your so good with ruger geo i would love to see you play dundee because your only basis on your decision was his problem with bink, so you can use a ruger and so can he, see who comes out first and what this will prove? That you talk [IMAGE] about 3 m79's being able to beat 3 autos and ruger being as strong as autos.........prove it ! Because I for one dont believe you at all.

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 12:04 pm
Blah blah blah...you're just bitter because some people don't have a big problem with bink. Get the hell over it. Maybe he is good with a ruger, hell if I know...I've rarely seen his name in game. I told him to speak for himself and not for everyone, because not all of us "will almost always die" when they have a ruger against an auto. I don't die every "almost every time" and I'm not trying to flaunt anything when I say it. This was the basis of my decision, not his opinion. He can not like the bink all he wants, just don't drag all ruger users into one blanket statement. Learn to read Jaz, it'll help you when you try to get out of high school. What's more, get over your problem with the word practice. Even the pros practice Jaz.

It's called playing within the means of the game and adjusting to it...if you take 3 m79s into a game against 3 autos in this version I'd call that your own stupid mistake for starters. You were the one who talked about "all guns should be equal, so why can't the m79 beat an auto?", not I. Want to know why? Because not all guns are created equal Jaz...some are more effective than others. Secondly, I never said that the m79's would win all the time, or that they would even be assured a win...I believe Kazuki pointed out the most appropriate point of all in that discussion, that based on the terrain or map the outcome could be very different depending on the situation. Third, you act as though I'm on here saying I'm the best with the m79 or that the bink never effects my shots, which is a lie. Of course my shots get binked sometimes, but it's what you do while you're getting shot at and binked that makes the difference. Besides, any good m79 shot should be placed as you're rushing the enemy so they have little chance to move anyway...it's called reading into your opponents movements? If you're bogged down in auto fire you missed your chance, and if you're just going to reply with something about mindless auto spray I'd say you need to find better servers/people to play against.

I personally don't give two sh*ts if you believe me or not. Whether or not I feel the need to prove myself to you is another matter...I really don't, but such a reply would warrent you saying something along the lines of "Blah blah blah, see I was right, blah blah". What can I do to prove it to you?

And since I've been nice and answered your questions, answer mine. Exactly how would this suggestion make autos stronger? Don't dodge it again, thanks.

Edit: While you're at it, feel free to point out where exactly I start talking [IMAGE].

Jaz
January 13, 2005, 3:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist

I personally don't give two sh*ts if you believe me or not. Whether or not I feel the need to prove myself to you is another matter...I really don't.

And since I've been nice and answered your questions, answer mine. Exactly how would this suggestion make autos stronger? Don't dodge it again, thanks.

You cant back up your claims about people not having problems with bink, you should prove this or your claim is useless. It's just your word which I wont take.

If your using m79, ruger or deagles or anything for that matter and your getting shot by an auto, your aimer starts jumping up in the sky as you hit a shot, you miss. Just like in this version. Except now it would actually be meant to happen.....I know for a fact this idea isn't going to happen...

Droopy
January 13, 2005, 3:39 pm
It could be an option(called "bonk") :P

DT
January 13, 2005, 3:47 pm
a barret is used for sniping... if your far away a auto won't hit you

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 13, 2005, 5:57 pm
Let me remind everyone about the barret:

What is the class of the barret?
It is a sniper rifle.

What is its job?
To pick off enemies from far away.

Who's fault is it if you're dumb enough to let the enemy get close?
Yours, 100% Yours.

Who's fault is it if you choose barret in Arena 2 and lose?
Thats your's too.

Now, Not getting shot = Not getting binked, so the best way to fix this problem = Not getting shot

Now M79 is not meant to be used as a direct assault weapon. Its arc is very very useful for bombarding and holding people off. If you really do use it as an assault weapon, you're either really close that bink doesn't matter, or you need to stay out of their fire range and hit them from there.

Ruger, with its fast bullet speed, can shoot down someone even before any of the enemy bullets hit.

Just my 2 cents, my period is over, gotta go.

The Geologist
January 13, 2005, 11:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by Jaz

You cant back up your claims about people not having problems with bink, you should prove this or your claim is useless. It's just your word which I wont take.

If your using m79, ruger or deagles or anything for that matter and your getting shot by an auto, your aimer starts jumping up in the sky as you hit a shot, you miss. Just like in this version. Except now it would actually be meant to happen.....I know for a fact this idea isn't going to happen...

Do you read what I post Jaz, or are you so eager to win the little pissing contest you came up with that you just skim through my posts without paying any attention? I said I didn't have much of a problem with bink...never mentioned anything about lots of other people not having any problem with the bink in this topic. Just look in other threads and you'll see people saying the same thing, in addition to those who say they do have a problem with the bink. It's already obvious that some people don't have trouble with the bink, and unless you're calling all those people liers too I'd just be quiet. You can't stay on topic.

I read through your explaination of how that would make autos stronger, yet all I see is "I'm not used to the kickback in realistic mode so I'd miss all the time". Play some realistic. I've said it once, I'll say it again...if you're bogged down in auto spray you probably missed your chance to make the kill. What's more, it wouldn't just like this version, because the kick on realistic isn't random like the bink is now. I'd wager you'd blow yourself up less with those 1337 m79 skills if this suggestion were implimented. Don't waste my time again Jaz.

Edit: Sounds like Leo knows what he's talking about.

Captain Ben
January 15, 2005, 10:14 am
in this word fight, my moneys on the geologist, lol!
anyways, ive never really noticed the 'bink' but ichecked and understood what you guys meant.
also jaz... stop complaining about blowing yourself up..... get a QUALITY mouse.

or your aim might just suck anyway.

also im pretty good with a ruger, and the bink doesnt really worry me. live with it and stop [IMAGE]ing about it.