( search forums )
spotter&gunner
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Moments
Svirin Kerath
January 16, 2005, 3:16 pm
i wanted to make a couple teams like this...
usually, a sniper works with another person. one person aims, the other calculates. i thought of a spin on that.

this requires 2 people, and they must be on fairly good terms with each other and on the same team. also, this is most fun on an INF map with no, or low, flying.

the sniper is the 'spotter.' then, someone with an AK or Minimi is wth them. the person with the MG, or 'gunner' fires up, arcing towards a projected target that the sniper, crouched or prone right next to him, can see with the scope. the sniper does not fire, but tells his partner if his shot hit a target and if not, how to correct his aim. this is mostly for taking out gun emplacements. i tried this with a friend, and it's extremely fun. it requires good teamwork, good memory, and good aim. but once you've got a fix on their position, the two of you combined can effectively MG a target outside of its range.

a second team can be behind to provide cover or extra fire support.

if you have any good friends, i suggest trying this.

KeyesBlob
January 16, 2005, 9:16 pm
Soldat is run and gun, its supposed to be fun for both sides. Don't ruin other peoples playing experience by bullet spamming.

Zero Wiggles Murasame
January 17, 2005, 10:07 pm
Bullet spamming doesn't work on me. I like Svirin's tactic. also because if u try to bullet spam me, I'm in the air most of the time anyway.

Judge_Man
January 17, 2005, 10:21 pm
It's completely useless. you say that the guy with barret sees the enemy, so why don't he kill him instead of spraying bullets all over the place?

Or try this tactic: m79+socom run fast rush and explode people WAY more fun.

Deleted User
January 17, 2005, 10:52 pm
I like my version better. Hide in box while people rush past you to get flag. Then while rusher(Jud_Man) is just about to cap, shoot him in the face. XP

KeyesBlob
January 18, 2005, 2:04 am
The Barret bullet follow is a great way to study enemy campers also...

But still, I hate people who fire the minigun from thier base and have all the bullets rain down on yours.

Morik
January 18, 2005, 4:06 am
quote:Originally posted by SwazoI like my version better. Hide in box while people rush past you to get flag. Then while rusher(Jud_Man) is just about to cap, shoot him in the face. XP

Hey thats all i do, is run in there killing as many people as i can before i die. I hate it when theres someone on your team that has a minigun and surfs....slowing you down. I dont think svirin's strategy would work well in soldat as much as he says.

Svirin Kerath
January 18, 2005, 9:47 pm
*shrug* all i know is it was hella fun. like i said, no jets, and it can slow the pace down a bit. why not have the sniper just fire? i told you. you need the sniper to constantly be seeing what's going on. if you fire, not only does the shot mess up your aim again, you have to wait to scope. you basically try to snipe people out of your screen with an MG. the obvious vulnerability is the back, but that's why you need 2 teams of 2, and why it works best on INF.

another suggestion. auto-taunt spotter commands. "^up, ^down, ^miss, ^hit" etc. don't diss it till you try it! it's not really bullet spamming. it's more like.... organized, methodical bullet spamming.

Ranis
January 24, 2005, 7:19 am
ya if you were supposed to tell them where to aim the enemy could just get out of the way before you could pinpoint them.

Svirin Kerath
January 24, 2005, 9:13 pm
that's why you talk in team chat, not public. >.>

Outcast
January 24, 2005, 11:05 pm
how abouti tell you what people with good aim do , they get to know the map, they blind law to the stat gun implacement and kill the guy. Then they rush up with their primary and kill anything else up there.

Svirin Kerath
January 24, 2005, 11:17 pm
lol. i used to do that. this is a lot more fun. i dunno. maybe i have too much time on my hands.

Judge_Man
January 25, 2005, 12:06 am
quote:Originally posted by SwazoI like my version better. Hide in box while people rush past you to get flag. Then while rusher(Jud_Man) is just about to cap, shoot him in the face. XP

RAWR!!! Stop calling me Jud_Man!!
I'm so gonna pwn you Swazo or Ling Ling or Supa Swazo or Sawzo or anything else.!!

RAWR!!

Solidarnosc
January 27, 2005, 3:26 pm
I like the idea Svirin. I've thought of it myself, but one never has the opportunity since the most cooperation people are willing to give is telling you to do something. I always thought of using the LAW as it is the most artillery like and can do area damage. Also, with a LAW, I think it is possible for a third person to continually spawn and throw a law to the firer (which would be fully loaded I think) before suiciding to get another LAW. This results in a fast loading and accurate LAW barrage as long as the firing base is close to spawn. Because of the need to hit camped targets this would only really work on Infiltration as you said. Also a Barret sniper could also be the firer. The advantage of these strategies is that the firer is far enough away that he cannot be detected by the shot, wheras the spotter does not give away his concealed position. Also there is the simple fun of annihilating enemies from afar, but I can't see how machine-gunning is anywhere near as cool.

Svirin Kerath
January 29, 2005, 6:15 pm
that's a good idea too, but the point of using an auto is that, well, it's an auto. with a LAW, you get one shot and a long reload time. the process of someone kamikaze-ing and giving you a new one is too long. with an auto, you find the target due to instructions and then fire repeatedly. if you miss with a LAW, it's a long process to fire again. with an auto, you fire some experimental shots to get an idea for where you should aim (with help from the spotter). then unleash shots in the general area of the stat gun or camper. all outside of their range. when you kill them, you'll prolly still have shots left over, and you can repeat the process. while you do this, your other team members go in to get the flag.

=)

paramud
January 29, 2005, 7:46 pm
.... you know, youre not really using a "spotter" a spotter sits around with a sniper, and tells the sniper where the people are.

Svirin Kerath
January 29, 2005, 9:46 pm
err... how does that not fit in? that's what the spotter does in my scenario.

Solidarnosc
January 30, 2005, 11:47 am
Sorry to spoil your fun paramud, but the definition of spotter is pretty close to what we are talking about. If in doubt, look at these two definitions:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/glossary/s/bldef05890.htm
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/glossary/s/bldef05891.htm

By the way Svirin, what I meant was that an accurately spotted machinegun might be effective but it could be confused with a lucky spray and sure as hell doesn't have the same 'awesomeness' as a LAW (its looks and style that count :) ). A better (or at least faster firing) single shot alternative would be the ruger, but I'm not sure if its reach is far enough =(. The LAW would be better in a survival game because there is no concern about being rushed by enemies spawning faster than they can be spotted, ranged and killed.

lastpatriot
February 6, 2005, 12:07 am
Nice, but it doesn't really fit the atmosphere of the game, as has been said.

Solidarnosc
February 6, 2005, 12:52 am
Maybe it doesn't fit your idea of Soldat, but for me there is more to it than just spawning, running to the objective and back and spraying anything that moves along the way with a gun that has a 50 degree fire cone. It's people like you that don't understand the meaning of cooperation. You might as well stick to playing bots or playing something along the lines of Quake or Unreal.

Svirin Kerath
February 6, 2005, 8:48 pm
that was well said, but a bit too harsh. some people like to play that way, some people like to play cooperatively. my only problem is when they interfere with the cooperative players.

and yeah, the Ruger is a good idea...

Solidarnosc
February 8, 2005, 2:24 am
Sorry if I was a bit harsh, I just meant that in my opinion, I can't see the point in playing online if you intend just to spray at targets endlessly and not communicate with the other players. I didn't mean to sound like anyone should be ostracised to other games.