( search forums )
CTF_Trona 1.1 (updated!)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
The Geologist
January 17, 2005, 4:16 am
Ctf_Trona...a map that I came up with pretty quickly. I tried to get as much input as I could before its release, thanks to those who helped with input and played this map. If anyone would like to use this map in their server rotation I'd be very thankful. Here's the breakdown:

* Supports CTF mode (contains spawns for rambo and point match flag)
* Good for 6-14 players
* Fully waypointed (the bots score, and they score efficiently)
* There are three custom sceneries, so make sure to put them into your scenery.gfx folder
* There is also a custom texture (microbe). Thanks to grand diablo for creating it. If you like how it looks check out his Texture 10 Pack .

An overview:
[IMAGE]

The Download

Questions, comments? Speak up! And enjoy the map! Also, let me know if you see any white boxes or don't have the right sceneries for this map. I'll upload missing files and fix any problems with the map for a second version.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion Rambo...done and done.

_Mancer_
January 17, 2005, 4:46 am
If there was a number beyond infinity, and it was represented with the symbol "?", then your score would be ?/10

Rambo_6
January 17, 2005, 4:56 am
You should make it so you can't see the background...

in other words, put huge polys all around the level. You know waht i'm saying?

G/J, i give you 56 thumbs up.

The Geologist
January 17, 2005, 5:04 am
Agreed...I'll get right on that for a second release.

Edit: lol, yeah. I can see it, somewhat..I actually had to go look for Dread after you mentioned that to see how similar they were ;) This map actually came about from one of my King of the Hill ideas, only heavily edited.

Rambo_6
January 17, 2005, 5:42 am
Now that i look at the map, it looks almost like my other ctf map, ctf_Dread. Only yours is bigger, and slightly different. ^ ^

mar77a
January 17, 2005, 1:29 pm
The shading and colors are awesome. Good gameplay too. 10/10, Good job!

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 7:54 pm
awesome work , i like that map 10/10

chakapoko maker
February 6, 2005, 9:09 pm
[+]
looks a real cave in game... you guys need to see that, and the cute elevator. standard ctf layout and nice spawn setting. very good ctf map ;)

[-]
polygon's flat. i can see a mine has a road in it but it's even. one of two ways wants some jag. relation between scenery and collider has no difference in view. it's bad ;(

The Geologist
February 6, 2005, 9:18 pm
I take it you're talking about the upper portion of the map in that last comment? The area with all the boxes, barrels, etc? Because the sceneries with colliders are in the foreground (i.e. you go behind them) and the ones without colliders are in the background. If that's not what you're talking about, then I'm afraid I didn't understand what you were trying to say in the latter portion of your comment. And what does polygon's flat mean?

Regardless, thank you.

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 9:34 pm
Very nice map.. Downloading. Lighting effects are beautiful. and i saw what chakapoko is talking about(or i think hes talking about) in the middle top of the map, the Route is flat which is a bit annoying.. oh yeah what up with all teh extra polygons around the map :|...

9.9/10

chakapoko maker
February 6, 2005, 9:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistI take it you're talking about the upper portion of the map in that last comment? The area with all the boxes, barrels, etc?

yes.

quote:
Because the sceneries with colliders are in the foreground (i.e. you go behind them) and the ones without colliders are in the background.
yeah that's no problem and good. i meant about the color/brightness. scenery of behind everything should be relatively darker than the foregrond scenery. it makes they are in the inner part and i can easily see that they are not with colliders and they are background.

quote:
And what does polygon's flat mean?

it's about uneveness of the surface. the map has a curve on every route. but it's smooth like a wave. an edge that doesn't connect to other vertex looks nice sometimes as little noise.

The Geologist
February 6, 2005, 10:02 pm
Meh...someone suggested I put more polys in so the background of the map couldn't be seen, to create a more cave like effect. That was the result. The upper middle area of the map isn't meant to be so much of a route, yet more like a little base or tower..something for your team to secure to make travel along the upper portion of the map easier.

Glad ya like it though.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification chak. This was merely an idea I had to use that kind of scenery in the background...upcoming ideas lack the massive background sceneries, and the distinction will be much clearer. Also, all the areas won't be nice and smooth, as much as I happen to love that ;D Thanks for the input.

grand_diablo
February 6, 2005, 11:08 pm
Well, the map has a nice concept, but I still have to complain:

- The red and the blue color is too bright, which hurts my eyes in fullscreen mode. You might darken the red and blue tones, and the also the background (the bg just slightly, its kinda ok)

The Geologist
February 7, 2005, 3:48 am
Agh..I hear ya, but that'd be a hassle with the map in general :/ Not to mention deleting sceneries in the map maker I use tends to delete every scenery around it for some reason, which leads to problems with the way things look in foreground vs background ,etc...you see what I mean? Not trying to ignore you..I hear ya, and this is under consideration for future maps. My next ctf map is much more "eye friendly", I promise ya :D

bb_vb
February 7, 2005, 4:27 am
Ah, only just noticed this one.

Firstly, there are plenty of shades of red and blue, so why does everyone use the same, pure, ones. IMO they're butt ugly. Use the color picker and get some real nice ones and be different, it'll make it look so much better (I think anyway :).

I like the texture, but I feel the map in general is just too plain. Little variation in colour, a few scattered sceneries, and very uninteresting terrain. I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm just trying to tell you what I really think. You need to spice it up a bit. Use lots of colours, mash up the terrain a bit, add more scenery and blend it in so it looks like it's just grown, fresh out of the polygons. Variation is your friend, and especially the player's friend.

CamBot
February 8, 2005, 1:58 am
Fun but the microbe texture just doesn't work with me.