( search forums )
best movie of 2004
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
AerialAssault
January 18, 2005, 4:39 am
Napoleon Dynamite.

Not only do I feel that this was the funniest movie of the year, it also had a strong sense of humility to it. It's a very relaxing movie in that it had a very "everything's gonna be ok" soundtrack to it. You laugh at Napoleon because he's so pathetic, however you grow to love him because you can't help but relate to him in some ways throughout the movie. The movie ended perfectly, after all the bad that had happened, everything seemed to have a "happily ever after" feel to its ending, and also it ended with the best song of the 80s "The Promise" by When in Rome.

anyone else who's seen it want to share their thoughts on it? and if you haven't seen it, you need to, right now.

liquidis x snake
January 18, 2005, 4:53 am
I wasn't too fond of Napolean Dynamite, but I do respect your choice.

Personally, I preferred "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". It was one of the earlier movies to come out in the year, but it quickly became my favorite movie ever. It's incredibly witty and has plenty of dark humor. Love it.

that fuking sniper
January 18, 2005, 5:30 am
Team America. Kicked mucho asso.

DeafBox
January 18, 2005, 6:35 am
saw was decently cooooool

Vijchtidoodah
January 18, 2005, 7:29 am
Both Napolean Dynamite and Eternal Sunshine were excellent movies...Nothing beats the sheer nerdliness of Jon Heder as Napolean, but Jim Carrey finally played a worthy role in ES.

Ahh...the one thing that tops of Napolean Dynamite, though, was the commentary on the DVD. For instance, that scene where Napolean is waiting for the bus and just as it pulls up full of kids, the farmer shoots a cow directly behind it--that actually happened to the director's brother, and the guy in the film was the one who actually did the deed in real life and supplied meat to the director's family. Not only that, but the entire dance scene at the end was completely improvised.

IDF-RIPsta
January 18, 2005, 8:26 am
I'm with LxS, the acting was beyond good.

b00stA
January 18, 2005, 1:48 pm
I pretty much agree with LxS, but I wouldn't say that Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is (one of my) favourite movie(s).

What movies are you looking forward to this year?
For me it's A Scanner Darkly which is completely rotoscoped, just like Waking Life and it's based on a novel by Philip K. Dick.
Ah :)

Oh, Cube Zero sucks. It's the third movie and the plot was even worse than Cube 2. The traps were boring (and blood etc. looked bad) and the fact that they TRIED to explain something makes it crap.

Tha Doggfather
January 18, 2005, 1:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stA

What movies are you looking forward to this year?
For me it's A Scanner Darkly which is completely rotoscoped, just like Waking Life and it's based on a novel by Philip K. Dick.

Then I'm looking forward to this movie too, Philip K Dick wrote "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep", the basis for one of my favourite movies "Blade Runner".

Eternal Sunshine was a good movie, but it was weird looking at Jim Carrey in this kind of movie. During the first couple of moments when I saw this in the cinema, I was expecting Jim Carrey to start putting up a funny face or talking with a funny voice, even though I knew it wasn't a comedy.

Liber_Lupus
January 18, 2005, 3:58 pm
The Terminal. Really liked it. Tom Hanks did really good. I was sorry for him.

Meandor
January 18, 2005, 4:39 pm
Gotta love this, Eternal Sunshine, Team America, Napoleon Dynamite are all movies that aren't yet out here. If they will ever be ;|
All the movies i saw this year sucked anyway.

IDF-RIPsta
January 18, 2005, 6:16 pm
Kill Bill was last year... nobody has mentioned that one yet. I guess everybody agrees that both parts together make for one of the best action movie that touches every aspect of violence. Part One shows takes physical violence to realms that can be considered art, whereas Part Two displays aspects of mental abuse.

Kill Bill has to be one of the best movies ever made.

Kazuki
January 18, 2005, 6:46 pm
Blade Trinity was the best movie I had seen this year. It had a decent plot, the scenes were damn good, and the comedy was there. I guess I might have just liked it because I'm into those types of movies. Action and comedy combined.

I will agree, though, that Napoleon Dynamite was indeed a great movie.

Cookie.
January 18, 2005, 8:45 pm
sigh.. kaz kaz kaz....

i have to agree tho eternal sunshine was the best ^_^

?
January 18, 2005, 8:54 pm
12 monkeys

b00stA
January 18, 2005, 9:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by #8224;12 monkeys

That is *SO* 1995.

Tha Doggfather
January 18, 2005, 9:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by KazukiBlade Trinity was the best movie I had seen this year.

Was it per chance the only movie you saw this year?

Vijchtidoodah
January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stA...which is completely rotoscoped, just like Waking Life and ...

Oh man, I thought I was the only one here who saw that movie. If that came out this year I would definitely say that it won. I have a newfound love for you, b00stA.

Kazuki
January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
No way. Have you seen it?

m00`
January 18, 2005, 9:47 pm
SpongeBob Squarepants, oh wait that came out this year :(((((((((((

Deleted User
January 18, 2005, 10:43 pm
Napoleon Dynamite sucked ass...the only good part was the cow bit. Best movie of 2004 would have to be either Man on Fire, or Shark Tale. Just because Denzel Washington is a phenomenal actor, and because watching computer animation at midnight after a long day is very funny...

Tha Doggfather
January 18, 2005, 11:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by KazukiNo way. Have you seen it?

I've seen the trailer, and that's enough I think :p

Jello
January 19, 2005, 2:56 am
I didn't know they were making A Scanner Darkly a movie...good to know.
Mr. [IMAGE] is pretty sweet. I'm not too into Science Fiction, but I can still like "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" That book's awesome. Never read a Scanner Darkly though I heard it was good...the liberary never has it in stock though :p

EDIT: Ahahaha, the forums censored Philip K's last name...funny. Waking Life is ka-sweet too.

AerialAssault
January 19, 2005, 4:30 am
quote:Originally posted by SwazoNapoleon Dynamite sucked ass...the only good part was the cow bit. Best movie of 2004 would have to be either Man on Fire, or Shark Tale. Just because Denzel Washington is a phenomenal actor, and because watching computer animation at midnight after a long day is very funny...
the only way for one to think Napoleon Dynamite wasnt funny, is for them to be a nerd of napoleons caliber and not understand how pathetic he was.

b00stA
January 19, 2005, 1:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by KazukiBlade Trinity was the best movie I had seen this year.
I just have two things to say to you. One, your hairdo is RE-DICULOUS. And 2, I ate a bunch of garlic and I just farted. Silent but deadly.
Best part of the movie :|

Btw, A Scanner Darkly is directed by Richard Linklater. The same guy behind Waking Life.

Famine
January 19, 2005, 2:48 pm
quote:the only way for one to think Napoleon Dynamite wasnt funny, is for them to be a nerd of napoleons caliber and not understand how pathetic he was.

Or it could just be it is not your type of humor.

Deleted User
January 19, 2005, 10:13 pm
Napoleon Dynamite was what I call "Spashul" Humor. The whole thing was just random crap thrown together in a sad attempt to be creative. Not to mention how unbearable it was to sit through the whole thing and listen to those horrible voices...

AerialAssault
January 20, 2005, 12:50 am
Its called dry humor, and its not always what they say that made it so funny, yet how they said it. those "horrible voices" were what made the movie so hilarious and memorable.

Deleted User
January 20, 2005, 3:04 am
That's not dry humor, dry humor is stuff like the British version of "Who's Line Is It Anyways?". But anyways we obviously have different tastes. You thought their voices were "memorable", while I thought they were "horrible". But hey...at least the words rhyme.

liquidis x snake
January 20, 2005, 4:47 am
Whoever mentioned "Waking Life", that is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

-Edit-
Twas b00sta. /me sexes b00sta.

Vijchtidoodah
January 20, 2005, 4:50 am
Swazo, Napolean Dynamite only seems like it was just a bunch of ideas thrown together because that's exactly what happened.

They made an indy short that was nine minutes long with basically the same characters...they showed it at a film festival and people thought it was really funny so some big corporation (I want to say MTV but I'm not certain) picked it up and paid them to flesh out the rest of the movie.

mmeaney
January 21, 2005, 4:19 am
I'm going to have to agree with Swazo, Man on Fire was excellent. Denzel Washington was amazing in this movie. I think I will watch it right now!

Vijchtidoodah
January 21, 2005, 5:08 am
FALCOR!! Sorry, I just had to do that...

Hmm...I'll get Man on Fire tomorrow and see what it's like. As with any movie with Denzel Washington, it's bound to be great.

m00`
January 21, 2005, 5:09 am
you all have to agree that the Spongebob Squarepants Movie was the best movie this year ( 2005 ) so far :o

Vijchtidoodah
January 21, 2005, 5:13 am
I don't even like the cartoon...thought it was crappy as hell.

m00`
January 21, 2005, 5:21 am
omg in all my years i have never met a spongebob squarepants hater :(((((

Famine
January 21, 2005, 8:16 pm
Spongebob sucks.

Michal
January 21, 2005, 8:27 pm
I also hate spongebob >_<

mar77a
January 21, 2005, 9:42 pm
Kill Bill Part 1 & 2 by far.

Deleted User
January 21, 2005, 10:06 pm
Those movies are hilarious, but Uma Thurman should go and murder spongebob.
Kill Bob, I'd watch it.

m00`
January 21, 2005, 11:01 pm
Poor spongebob :(((((((

white_ninja
January 21, 2005, 11:18 pm
Garden State, was imho the best movie of 2004. Written, directed, and starring Zach Braff. Really good. I may just be saying this because I love the soundtrack, but it's still a good movie. I just wish I could find some of those Desert Storm trading cards...

?
January 22, 2005, 1:08 am
lion king is the best movie of all time...

Judge_Man
January 22, 2005, 5:23 am
INDEED! With Aladin.

The Geologist
January 22, 2005, 6:42 am
Baraka. (even though it didn't come out in 2004, but neither did the movies in the posts ahead of mine :P)

If the date is an issue...I'd prolly toss my vote behind Napoleon Dynamite.

mar77a
January 22, 2005, 3:10 pm
Gah, the best movie ever is Space Balls...

AerialAssault
January 22, 2005, 7:06 pm
no, the best movie ever made is FIGHT CLUB, but the best of 2004 is Napoleon Dynamite.

Vijchtidoodah
January 22, 2005, 9:10 pm
No, the best movies of all time are Shawshank Redemtion, American History X, and The Last Samurai.

Deleted User
January 22, 2005, 10:08 pm
I love Fight Club! That movie was genius!

Maxx
January 22, 2005, 10:57 pm
Napolean Dynamite was the best movie i've ever seen!

"Whatever I feel like doing, GOSH!"-----LOL!

Judge_Man
January 23, 2005, 12:31 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaultno, the best movie ever made is FIGHT CLUB.

You are so right! This movie just pwn.

Spectral
January 23, 2005, 5:01 pm
triplettes of belville :P

Messiah
January 23, 2005, 7:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniperTeam America. Kicked mucho asso.

Yeah, Napoleon Dynamite was pretty crappy i thought so anyway :P, but team America ownt, Mcdonalds! [IMAGE] Yeah!, Books....yeah? 0.o

AerialAssault
January 24, 2005, 4:11 am
the best movies of the year were Napoleon Dynamite, Dawn of the Dead (http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=dawn_rules), The Life Aquatic.

frogboy
January 24, 2005, 4:15 am
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniperTeam America. Kicked mucho asso.

Agreed.

Skate4Razors
January 24, 2005, 5:05 am
My alltime favorite movie is Big Trouble in Little China.

But, for 2004, I'd say... Napolean Dynamite... Hmm...

"So, Napoleon, what'd you do this summer?"

"I hunted wolverines with my cousin, geeesh"

"What kind of gun did you use?"

"A Freegin 12 Gauge!"

Well, I havn't seen it in a while, so I can't remember it exactly... Make sure to correct me! ;o

Judge_Man
January 24, 2005, 5:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaultthe best movies of the year were Napoleon Dynamite, Dawn of the Dead

Dawn of the dead was So crappy, not frightening a bit, the characters are so f***ing stupid! " Let's leave the Mall so we have Higher chance of getting killed by Zombies!!!!!"

And the Worst of all, Andy gets killed.

Deleted User
January 24, 2005, 6:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by Spectraltriplettes of belville :P

dude that movie probably had less dialogue than any movie ive ever seen. it was awesome though
but i reckon the best movie of 2004 (as far as cinematic value goes) is Hero. why hasnt anyone mentioned this!?! stunningly beautiful movie....

Maxx
January 25, 2005, 2:34 am
S4R, read:(your first line was right)

"I already told you, My uncle took me on a hunting trip to to blah."

"What did you shoot?"

"Wolverines . They were attacking my cousins, what would you have done in a situation like that?!"

"How many did you shoot?"

"Like 50 whaddya think!"(or gosh)

"What did you shoot them with?"

"A frikin' 12-gauge, whaddya think?!"

LOL

I don't think this is completely right either.

"Yeah, it's probably the best drawing i've ever done.It took me 3 hours to finish the shading on your upper lip."

LOL

AerialAssault
January 25, 2005, 4:10 am
I know it right,

"hey Napoleon, what did you all last summer again?"

"i told you, i went hunting wolverines in alaska with my uncle"

"did you shoot any?"

"yeah like fifty of em! they were trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?!"

"what kind of gun did you use?"

"A FREAKING TWELVE GAUGE, whaddya think!"

great scene...:D

Maxx
January 25, 2005, 1:14 pm
1 word: Kip.

LOL!