( search forums )
n00b Alert!!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
microslothd
January 18, 2005, 6:03 am
hi all..

my cousin put this on my pc a couple of days ago..and im hooked..
nice and fast gameplay..im still very green so im getting to grips with game protocol..there seems to be a lot of voting off..is that par for the course then?
is booting done by a majority vote or is it host controlled..
and wot are the signs of cheating?..
apologies if that last question opens a can of worms..
i prefer capture the flag and play under the name of conrad_turner..
thanks for a great game and i guess the beers are on me for my virgin post..

lieroguy
January 18, 2005, 6:14 am
Sings of cheating are a tad hard to spot, since a lot of people say someone is cheatng, when really it's just lag making your game do wierd things. Generally, when one of their guns is shooting knives, or they're going insanely fast (not just warping around from lag), they're cheating.

There's a lot of voting off becaust most of the people who play on the public servers are completely impotent. Booting and can done by either the majority vote or host controlled. If the host is using the dedicated server, he can set what percentage of the layers needs to vote in order to kick a player. And if he wants to, the host can kick or ban a specific player.

Chakra
January 18, 2005, 6:14 am
Yep. Voting off is typical of most public servers. Try to find a nice dedicated server and frequent it.

Booting can be done by a majority vote, or at the will of the host if present.

The signs of cheating are a lack of reloading/ an unquestionable amount of ammo, moving through walls (not to be confused with the bug where people are still stuck on the old map as soon as the server changes to a new one), and reloading faster than usual, as well as infinite jets.

If you're bored and have any more questions, take a look around or use the search function (if it works).

Will
January 18, 2005, 9:29 am
Chakra, you forgot the health hack :P

health hack = if you shoot someone and they are seemingly invincible.

elite d
January 18, 2005, 10:02 am
flying hacks aswell, i was in one were 2 people were using flying hacks and they were on a map that disabled jets, the funny thing is that i came first even though they were hacking, and why doesnt that anti hack thing work?, Lol lieroguy i like your avatar and sig

lieroguy
January 18, 2005, 2:15 pm
Thanks. I worked hard on them. I've got to work on not having quite so many typos, though. Oh, well. I posted that right before I went to sleep, that's probably the reason. But I'm too lazy to edit it now.

The anti-hack thing doesn't work because, no matter what anti-hacking measures are taken, there can always be anti-anti-hack measures to take against it. There's no such thing as a hack-proof program. Like the X-Box, which contained a experimental 2 billion dollar anti-hack project to see if they could also use it on their computer software, and it was hacked in 3 months. The most sucsessful anti-hack system is human moderaton.

zoldat
January 18, 2005, 6:23 pm
u can make a fly hack with ur map maker too

kkazican
January 18, 2005, 9:03 pm
zoldat that is old 1.1.4 soldat and map maker and has long since been fixed. The only way you can do that again would be to create another type of map maker that actually cancels the anti map tampering protocol mike made due to the 1.1.4 glitch.

microslothd
January 18, 2005, 11:16 pm
wot sort of ping rate does the game become unplayable?..ive told my american and canadian mates about it..would i have a hope of playing them?im on a 750 cable modem connection if thats relevant..
..and thanks for the replies and advice..
for what its worth im keen to get into a ctf team and learn some tactics etc..teamwork always adds fun

Chakra
January 18, 2005, 11:44 pm
I'd say past 250 you'll notice it becoming quite difficult. Over 300 is just a nono.

On a 750k cable myself, and I get very good pings across all of europe from here in the UK, and 150 average to east coast america, which is more than playable.

FliesLikeABrick
January 19, 2005, 1:26 am
I think this is the warmest welcome i have seen in quite some time.

Spectral
January 19, 2005, 2:06 am
your cable connection is fine for most North American Servers. Euro servers should still be playable for you

wormdundee
January 19, 2005, 5:51 am
jeez, lets keep this going, this is awesome

so yeh, it depends kinda on what weapon your using what a good ping is

using barrett, ruger, or m79 you almost need a low ping, as it gets very difficult to hit them when you only have 1 shot every few seconds combined with a high ping, so youll want from 0-130 around

for the rest it doesnt really matter as much, anywhere from 0-250 is fine as mentioned before

and as mentioned before, your connection should be good enough to you these pings, definitely dont try playing on a server where you get above 250-270 ping

elite d
January 19, 2005, 8:03 am
so thats why people dont like berreters, Lol they have LAG!.. in my opinion every gun has a advantage and disadvantage, some people hate berrets because they miss the fact that it takes no less that 12 years to reload.

Will
January 19, 2005, 9:41 am
i seem to be ok duelling on a 56k modem with my mate, as long as i host that is :P

microslothd
January 20, 2005, 6:27 am
...lmao..now ive been banned from a server!!..liquid.soldat..what the heck did i do??is there any way to be unbanned?its quite a busy one..

Will
January 20, 2005, 11:28 am
lol, it always happens.... if peeps think you are hacking or summat they usually vote kick/ban you.

usually n00bs :P

Jiggs
January 20, 2005, 6:34 pm
I'm new as well, but I'm probably going to just lurk and get a better feel for this place after this reply.

microslothd
January 21, 2005, 8:24 pm
LMAO..banned again lol..haha theres talentless swine flying about with miniguns and gitz with nade launchers..im running about with dealges ..toatl chaos and i get banned for spwn killing???wtf??u aint got time to breathe nevermind think..sheesh..wot a bunch of 2 faced faggits lmao

Chakra
January 21, 2005, 11:19 pm
Yeah. Think of it this way. Theres alot of public servers, think of those as 'ghettos'. You won't be welcomed there if you go kicking their ass. Stick to nice, middle class white dedicated servers and frequent them.

Marine
January 22, 2005, 4:58 am
Public servers aren't always that bad...

- Tek -
March 19, 2005, 8:54 pm
Dam, I was hoping we could have a different system. The real problem that sets of random and false voting the server cheat detection, and its wrong most of the time. False cheat detection is usually set by lag right?

Deleted User
March 19, 2005, 9:48 pm
yeah dude cheating is hard to spot but ill give you my experience in cheating through soldat.
most of it is just kids who are too bad and they blame you bc they dont like to charge up their minis. and heres some advice for you dude: (and i learned this the hard way) unless you wnat the world to want you dead and be called a noob forever more, never, NEVER, use the mini ok? ok. good luck to you my fellow homosepian (haha)

Vijchtidoodah
March 19, 2005, 10:29 pm
Dammit, for a second there I thought Chakra had come back.

Guys, please look at the date of the last post in a thread before you post. You're more than two months late for this one.

Deleted User
March 19, 2005, 10:44 pm
my bad