( search forums )
Black screen..
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
SGN
January 19, 2005, 5:34 pm
I can start a game, but when im going in to the game, it just whens black, the whole screen.. Can anybody help me?

Deleted User
January 19, 2005, 6:12 pm
We'll need a little more info, such as your PC specs, your operating system, etc.

Does it happen during the intro? When you get to the menu, or, when you click "start game"?

SGN
January 19, 2005, 7:56 pm
When i create a server in singel player, and the map opens, it just whens black.

I use Xp

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
601 MHz, 384 MB RAM

(Its [IMAGE]ty ^^ )

NightCabbage
January 20, 2005, 6:06 am
Soldat -> Config/Setup -> More -> "Force Software"

Turn that off.

Also note that you will need a 3d graphics card to play Soldat.

SGN
January 21, 2005, 2:11 pm
NVIDIA GeForce 2, is that good enough?

NightCabbage
January 22, 2005, 3:13 am
Yes, that's fine

SGN
January 24, 2005, 10:44 am
I have done what you said, but its still not working.. :(

Deleted User
January 24, 2005, 4:55 pm
Try turning off all of your extra graphics options. Right-click on your desktop, select properties. *Go to Settings, and click Advanced. You should see an Nvidia tab. Select it and turn all of your extra graphics settings off (such as Anti-Aliasing and that sort of thing), then, click Apply, click Okay, and give it a try.

* You may have your Nvidia tab beside the Settings tab. If thats the case, ignore the Advanced button.

SGN
January 24, 2005, 7:09 pm
I have it on danish, so cant se what i should turn off.. If you can write it in english, i can translate it with a dictionary..

I have now also the newest drivers for my graphic, now i can se the strokes of the maps, but its lagging a lot :(

NightCabbage
January 24, 2005, 11:08 pm
Apparently the new nVidia drivers may have a few issues with Soldat...

Not confirmed yet, but it's looking that way.

Try re-installing Soldat, just to clean it out and make sure that there's nothing simple wrong here...

Deleted User
January 25, 2005, 2:56 am
Yes, the newest nVidia drivers cause Soldat to be unplayable. You'll have to roll back to the 40 series of driver (4x.xx) to get it to work.

SGN
January 25, 2005, 6:26 am
How do i roll back to do that? :S

Deleted User
January 25, 2005, 7:39 am
Visit this website here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Enter in the information you need, and when the next page loads, choose the driver archive on the left, and then select a driver.

SGN
January 25, 2005, 10:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliVisit this website here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Enter in the information you need, and when the next page loads, choose the driver archive on the left, and then select a driver.

I have now installed the 4.5, but its still not working.. Its still strokes.. :S

b00stA
January 25, 2005, 1:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by SGNI have now installed the 4.5, but its still not working.. Its still strokes.. :S
Disable anti-aliasing and try windowed mode or if you're already using that, fullscreen.

SGN
January 25, 2005, 4:31 pm
I dont know what is happening, its still only show strokes :S i have uninstalled it and installed it again and i have installed nVIDIA sofware 4.5 :@

Deleted User
January 25, 2005, 10:41 pm
Remember to turn off anti-aliasing in both Config.exe and your driver settings, as mentioned above.

NightCabbage
January 26, 2005, 1:35 am
And this, my friends, is why ATI > nVidia ;)

I play Soldat with 6x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. Looks as good as SOldat can :P

Deleted User
January 26, 2005, 2:26 am
Don't forget Temporal Anti-Aliasing, NightCabbage. That stuff breaks the laws of reality.

NightCabbage
January 26, 2005, 4:59 am
lmfao!

i seriously havent even turned that on once i think...

:P

wouldnt it just blur?

-EDIT-

Reminds me of 3dfx's Voodoo 5/6 / Rampage T-Buffer!

Deleted User
January 26, 2005, 6:07 am
Temporal Anti-Aliasing works by only applying the anti-aliasing during frames. This means you get just as much anti-aliasing at half the processing power.

So, thusly, 4x Temporal Anti-Aliasing is equal to 2x Normal Anti-aliasing in terms of processor usage.

SGN
January 26, 2005, 3:23 pm
Mayby this sound stupid (:P) But how do you get soldat so good, i have a good computer at my dad, so there i can make soldat good, have do i do that.. I what should i do with the strokes on my other computer?

Deleted User
January 26, 2005, 3:45 pm
If you're still having issues with only seeing the edges of the polygons, then I suggest you do the following:

Visit nVidia's website at this link here and download a set of drivers older than the ones you have now. Once you have the drivers, click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel -or- Start, then Control Panel. Once you have the Control Panel open, go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall your current drivers by removing them from the list.

Once that is finished, reboot your PC and install the drivers you just downloaded. Reboot your PC when prompted, and then open up your Display settings (as mentioned above) and turn off all your extra graphics options.

Keep doing that until you find a set of drivers that works. That's all I can suggest for the nVidia card issue.

NightCabbage
January 26, 2005, 11:17 pm
ah, so it only anti-aliases when it needs to?

eg. doesn't have to re-anti-alias an area that hasn't changed.

Deleted User
January 27, 2005, 1:43 am
Correct, NightCabbage. It only works when its needed too, so it saves a lot of processing power and it actually looks better, too.