( search forums )
Psychological Warfare
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
__SnoOpy__
January 22, 2005, 5:48 pm
Often, there is tremendous unskilled players lame-ing around in games, and thinking they are "good". Sometimes you might not be in the shape to teach them. So what do you do?

Psychological Warfare

Named by one of the victims.

A more common name for this is, "Trash Talk". There is no doubt that this is a actual tactic. I usually will get 2-3 enemies talking, affecting their game play, while my teammates kept on playing. Psychological is the ultimate weapon, which potentially can defeat enemy without combat.

So what do you begin with?

1. Begin from their weapon.
Usuaully it's Deagle.

Example talks:

- "Deagle = easy = beginner weapon"

- "Tell me why you use deagle, n00b, I'll tell you, it's because it's easy"

- "Any easy weapon = n00b uses"

- "If you can kill with it, that's OK. But the problem is, you can't."

- "u simply just lames around"

- "what's lame? Lame = random shots without actual aiming"

- "Deagle is a unbalanced weapon due to its powerful damage and fast reload with high ammo as well"

- "Only weapon that requires actual aiming = OK weapon"

--

Usually it's 3x more chats depends on the situation. The response usually would be:

1. Quiet
- Usually that means they cannot argue over. There are two cases in this situation. One is, they are affected ( as they tries to keep on playing, but still trying to argue over ). Another case see #5

2. Respond with soft words
- Usually it means they agree your opinion, in this case you'll have to turn the voice and they will eventually turns to you.

3. Mad, swears, starts hunting you.
- In this case, just be careful. Whenever you kill him, say "n00b", it will piss him off easy.

4. Starts arguing with you
- Rarely happens because I talk over easy with things that make a lot of sense. Also, I type fast.

5. Quiet, but keeps on playing
- Usually in this case, they are not really n00b. Sometimes they might even change their weapon, but if they ask "how bout AK74" or something like that, that's another conversation on beginner weapons.

--
To be continued and edited

FoZ
January 22, 2005, 6:03 pm
so your encouraging the already hateful members of the soldat community to pick on noobs? lol wtf?!

AerialAssault
January 22, 2005, 7:02 pm
yeah, this is [IMAGE]ed up. and deagles lack of range balanced them out. although i do think it should take 3 shots to kill.

white_ninja
January 22, 2005, 7:26 pm
This is the most ridiculously counter-productive thread ever. We're trying to get Soldat players to be friendly, not even more hateful than usual.

Spectral
January 22, 2005, 7:49 pm
I don't see any point. Usually noobs are the ones who whine about weapons.

Vijchtidoodah
January 22, 2005, 8:52 pm
I whine about weapons whenever I begin to lose...

_Mancer_
January 22, 2005, 9:01 pm
m79 Sucks.

__SnoOpy__
January 22, 2005, 9:24 pm
This post was deleted by __SnoOpy__ on January 24, 7:13 AM.

Morik
January 22, 2005, 9:33 pm
i disagree with u on the deagles being a noob weapon. Also the m79 takes some skill to use. spaz, m79, deagles, and rugar take more skill than other weapons, i believe. If there has to be a noob weapon id say automatics. But they are still balanced out, so its not as bad as u would think.

__SnoOpy__
January 22, 2005, 9:41 pm
As I mentioned, only weapon requires aiming are OK weapon. Deagle however, does not require a lot aiming.

Most weapon depends on the players. But that's a rare case with Deagle. Often you can see, people just randomly shoots with it. That's what I'm talking about. Deagle is superior at close range, the only possible weapon that can go against it are now affected by the bink effect. You might say, its range sucks. But I don't think that's the case because usually killing takes place at close range.

All weapon requires some "skill" to use. However, you have to admit the fact M79 is very easy to handle right ( easy to catch the "feel" ), as it's one of the most favorite weapon for beginners.

Liber_Lupus
January 22, 2005, 9:52 pm
This had turned int oa useless, weapon discussion thread.

Deleted User
January 22, 2005, 9:53 pm
As do so many threads that start in this section of the forums...

Aquarius
January 22, 2005, 10:20 pm
Snoopy, in my opinion your post is a big pile of bull[IMAGE].

The Geologist
January 22, 2005, 10:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by AquariusSnoopy, in my opinion your post is a big pile of bull[IMAGE].

Agreed.

Marine
January 22, 2005, 11:18 pm
I use this phsycological warfare of yours sometimes, but I don't yell at someone unless there's a good reason for it.

The only unbalanced weapon is the Socom.

Tek Lok
January 23, 2005, 12:51 am
Deagles aren't noob weapons(big curviture on them), who said this? Some barret/law user?

__SnoOpy__
January 23, 2005, 2:51 am
I do yell with reasons, as mentioned, their weapon.

Those who argued back, usually uses nothing but deagle. And when they hear this, they will act like a cute child " I dun jus use deagle!! i can use all weapz u idiot!! ", in most cases.

Socom unbalanced, in positive or negative way?

Marine
January 23, 2005, 3:11 am
Negative if your enemy has it, positive if you have it. But nobody uses it anyway so it doesn't matter.

quote:Originally posted by Tek LokDeagles aren't noob weapons(big curviture on them), who said this? Some barret/law user?

Are you suggesting LAW is for noobs?

enjoyincubus
January 23, 2005, 3:14 am
Pff, if you don't agree, you're obviously noob material. ;P

Jello
January 23, 2005, 3:50 am
Whoa, what this forum needs is another weapons balance discussion! Lets get it on!
-Deagles are not a noob weapon. To use a weapon well, you must be able to hit people at short and long range. If you can sink a long range shot with Deagles on a regular basis, you are pretty damn good.
-If someone is sucking with a weapon, why do you care? Why not just kill him? I agree that it's fun to taunt them, but don't attack the weapon they were using, that makes no sence.
-What makes you think anyone cares what your opinions are? I'm not going to go cold-turkey on my Deagles just because you don't like 'em, and I don't think any other self-respecting person would either.

Anyways, about the meat of your post. I agree that getting the enemy to jabber on is a good tactic. But is it really FUN? because I play games to have fun. Agreed that winning=fun, but you can't totally ignore the means to this end. If typing is more fun for you than shooting, perhaps you should play text based RPGs or Mario Teaches Typing intead of our good old ACTION BASED Soldat.

Jap_man
January 23, 2005, 3:51 am
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__Often, there is tremendous unskilled players lame-ing around in games, and thinking they are "good". Sometimes you might not be in the shape to teach them. So what do you do?

how about letting them discover it by themselves?

Chakra
January 23, 2005, 4:07 am

Hunny, the whole point of a game like this is the challenge of overcoming the opponent by confronting their skill and cunning with yours.

Anything that alters or bypasses this is not much better than cheating.

F3nyx
January 23, 2005, 4:11 am
A little taunting from a good opponent is fine, but if the taunts get excessive, or if they come from a noobish player, I'll usually target the taunter first as long as I'm dominating the game. However, if it's neck-and-neck I simply ignore taunts and go for one easy target after another.

The only truly annoying taunts are those that come from an obviously superior opponent. These are rare -- usually the very good players don't feel the need to boast, their skill speaks for itself.

Oh, and being a big Deagle fan, I can't see how you'd call them lame weapons. They do take 3 shots to kill, unless you get headshots, in which case they take two shots. The shots have a lot of arc and don't move particularly quickly. Their best attributes are the high damage and high rate of fire.

A good SPAS user will generally beat a Deagler at close range, and a good Ruger user will generally beat a Deagler at long range. However, Deagles happen to be excellent all-purpose weapons, especially for players who can quickly move toward or away from their opponents (to exploit range weaknesses). Plus, Deagles are stylish as hell. The only really effective anti-Deagle weapon, IMO, is the Minimi, which puts out a lot of hurt at any range and can easily fluster an opponent with a constant barrage of bullets.

Psyker
January 23, 2005, 4:13 am
haha internet bullying

enjoyincubus
January 23, 2005, 4:57 am
Not a laughing matter. It damages more psyches than you'd imagine.

Melba
January 23, 2005, 1:33 pm
wouldn't psyker know? ;)

anyway, calling people n00bs for using deagles/minimi/ak-74 w/e isn't going to get you anywhere (with most players)
When people call me a n00b for using deagles, i don't care. Infact i laugh. Because i suck with deagles, and i would do alot better using another weapon. But the thing is, i like deagles, and i've always liked them.

I used deagles almost the whole time i played 1.2.0, and I feel that I have the right to use them in the new version too, overpowered, or not.

what i do find lame is when a player who e.g. used to use barret now all of the sudden uses ak-74 or minimi. just because those weapons are the easiest. (imo)
this clan called RTW used to use barret in 1.2.0, and Hektik_Sniper said something like this about them (i do not remember the exact words he used but ill try and quote him by heart)

" In 1.2.0 RTW used barret, and i asked them why they always used barret in clan wars. they said: "We like barret"
now in 1.2.1 all of them started using ak-74. What happened to "We like barret??!""

So true Hektik_Sniper, so true.

Spectral
January 23, 2005, 4:55 pm
you deagle noob

__SnoOpy__
January 23, 2005, 4:59 pm
quote:
Primary: Desert Eagles
Secondary: Combat Knife / M79

That explains pretty well ;) Oh yeah, you missed one. A GOOD fist user can dodge all the bullets and hit the enemy gun down and kill them. Lmao

I also mentioned, most weapons are depended on the player, that's right. But I said it's a rare case with deagle because, deagle is easily to be lamed with. I did not said it's bad weapon, it's good weapon, and easy to handle, like M79, AK74.

Marine:

Law? Just slightly higher than M79. A sissy weapon, not noob. :P

Spectral:

Go away. Give "reasons", or your ruining my point.

_Mancer_
January 23, 2005, 5:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by Spectralyou deagle noob

DT
January 23, 2005, 7:40 pm
dealges take 3 shots to kill and 2 if thier up close and/or head shots

Melba
January 23, 2005, 8:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_quote:Originally posted by Spectralyou deagle noob

*laughs*

Psyker
January 24, 2005, 1:15 am
quote:Originally posted by Melbawouldn't psyker know? ;)
haha nice

Spectral
January 24, 2005, 3:57 am
m79 easy to handle...? not when you're being pelted with bink-inducing auto bullets, or a noobish deagle

LazehBoi
January 24, 2005, 4:38 am
It's funny how people will badmouth a weapon and get certain things about it wrong, like the Ruger being an instant kill in Realistic.

I remember Chakra saying that the deagles are easy to use, but hard to master. Very worthwhile though.

Spectral
January 24, 2005, 4:43 am
so noobish nonetheless...in being easy for the noob to pick up and use

frogboy
January 24, 2005, 5:47 am
Haha, this guy is so full of bull[IMAGE] it's unbelieveable.

Deagles take 2-3 hits to kill someone, that's if they hit. Although, you'd probably be beaten in a duel 30-0 by someone who was even half-good with them.

I barely ever see M79 users. Probably because it's seen as one of the hardest weapons to use now. And FYI, the M79's reload hasn't changed. It's the same as 1.2.0 and 1.1.5. In fact, reading over the changelogs, I don't think the reload has changed since 1.0.5b.

Tell us, __SnoOpy__, what weapon do you use? Minimi? Barret? You seem to be calling everyone n00bs for using deagles, but you failed to mention what weapons you use.

__SnoOpy__
January 24, 2005, 3:07 pm
frogboy:

Usually I don't respond to kids. They are just waste of time :) but Ok I'll answer your problems.

To participate an arguement, you must use "facts", rather than lame "guessings", that just shows your age.

A soldat's life is about 80-85. 39.9*2 = 79.8, but deagle shots are wide-spread, so that's usually not the case.

For M79 reload speed, I misread. Although I can argue that the increase of its speed causes maybe a fraction of second slower realod, but nah, I admit my mistake.

quote:
what weapon do you use

Another newbie talk. When you played a lil bit longer, you will begin to understand there is no such thing as "what weapon do you use". As getting advanced, you will begin to alter weapons depending on the war situation. Understand?

frogboy
January 24, 2005, 3:09 pm
quote:Tell me what weapon you use ;)

Stop being such a hypocrite.

LazehBoi
January 24, 2005, 3:19 pm
You could at least answer the question. Besides, not like this makes you a good player or anything... I could kick your butt around the world. Wide spread? I think not... If they're wide spread, then only one bullet out of two would hit, yes? One bullet by itself would take 4 - 6 hits, while a decent player would easily take them out, even if they did hit with both bullets.

How are kids a waste of time compared to you? You're saying things, and not backing them up with facts yet you're telling others to do the same, you're also saying that deagles are for noobs because they're easy to 'lame with', yet you're saying chat killing isn't. Good job.

Would you like to explain this?
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__
deagle is easily to be lamed with.

__SnoOpy__
January 24, 2005, 3:29 pm
Stop ignoring the fact that Deagle is a easy weapon due to its superpower, which is the point I'm trying to deliever. Not bad, just a unbalanced weapon easily to be lamed with.

I also mentioned this: "if you can kill with it, it's alright", but in most cases it's my next quote "but you simply can't", so your "lame guessings" doesn't stand quite well.

Again, do not ever "assume" things, that will cause you a lot of trouble when your older :) Thank you

Also, try to controll your anger always, or it just shows your immaturity. ^^

frogboy
January 24, 2005, 3:33 pm
Again, stop being a hypocrite. You assume I'm a new player.

LazehBoi
January 24, 2005, 3:33 pm
Would you mind saying how it's easy to be lamed with?

Edit: Yes, the deagles are powerful, but how are they easy to aim with when compared to the other weapons? A player who can aim well with a powerful weapon... That does not make him a noob, he's just a good player.

Deleted User
January 24, 2005, 4:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by __SnoOpy__
Again, do not ever "assume" things, that will cause you a lot of trouble when your older :) Thank you

Please do follow your own advice, if something IS overpowered, it will be accepted by a majority of players, you seem to be the only one thats complaining. The Deagles are not really overpowered, to some people, the auto's are overpowered. To others the minimi is overpowered, etc.

You just have to stop moaning about it and cope with it, moaning about it is what makes the n00b. Doing something about it makes the good player.

Ezko
January 24, 2005, 4:43 pm
Psychological warfare works only on newbie. What is the point in complaining, "omg u m79 noob" if he still owns you with it? Better to never talk in combat. The gun matters not; in a war the soldier will use whatever is the most advantageous weapon, regardless of what others may think or say. The soldier escapes with his life, he dominates the day. If you cannot beat him then you know who is the noobie.

Jello
January 25, 2005, 5:12 pm
Eloquently put, Ezko. I agree.

Elemental
January 26, 2005, 1:13 am
The technic as a whole works. If they call you a noob, its hard to ignore it. Ex.- AFter calling you a noob, you kill him. You can't but help it to say something back to him. Although, the psychology might backfire unto the name-caller if you are silent!

Melba
January 26, 2005, 3:02 pm
I find players who dont talk while playing arrogant.
atleast they seem arrogant :\

Elemental
January 26, 2005, 10:26 pm
Sometimes they are, but for most part, i find not reading or writing helps your gameplay. Of course, if someone says hi to you..say hi!

Krios
January 29, 2005, 5:10 am
2 words: Eagles rock.

What's the point on picking on noobs like really....Eagles are not noob weapons they take over 3 months to acctually "master them". Barret and minigun is nOOb weapons but who cares...they're weapons. NEWS FLASH, the barret was made to piss ppl off.

Marine
January 29, 2005, 5:37 am
Minigun is noob weapon? The hell? Do you know how hard it is to kill someone with it?

Barrett was made to be a sniper rifle. Period.

pppppp
January 31, 2005, 12:58 am
agree with foz
if u say taht some weapon is for noobs, it can mean 3 things:
1. u dont like that weapon
2. u hate the ones that kill u with taht
3. you used that weapon a lot, and now u think that its easy

Shivorken
January 31, 2005, 6:20 am
don't dis the deagle, i realised that after a certain range, the deagle does practically no damage at all. you probably hate the deagle, snoopy, cuz you are a constant victim of it. In my opinion, anybody who calls another person a n00b just cuz of the weapon they preffer, is just a bloody n00b themselves who has the right to hang their head in shame ....

Deleted User
February 1, 2005, 12:38 am
I often talk smack in the game, but it's usualy just joking around and people can tell. Somtimes if I pull off some crazy stuff ill say "im awsome" or something to that regard, sometimes people get miffed at those comments but it's all in good fun. I dont like flamming people unless they really deserve it (like a deagle user!... Jk, jk my bad).

Unlucky 13
February 1, 2005, 8:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Krios2 words: Eagles rock... they take over 3 months to acctually "master them".
I mastered the Degales in as little as a few days, but this is because of its similarity with the SOCOM, my current long-range fire-arm. The SOCOM has almost the same stats as the Degales, other that RoF, clip size and DMG. The
SOCOM took me a while to master, say, 1 month, but that isn't my Weapon of Choice. The Spas, one of the most underpowered weapons in the game (IMHO, respect it), is my calling. This weapon, being my first, was instantly the easiest to learn, making it around 5 days to master against bots, then once my internet came on, another 2 days to instantly master it. Then, I changed to the Minimi, and lost intrest in the Spas, until, late last year, the Spas called me again. I have been (and will be) using it ever since. Yet still, despite its low power at long range, the Spas, like ALL weapons, is "dissed". Anyone who disses a weapon like the Spas/Degales is definately a newbie who can't use the weapon himself. THAT, my friend, is how Soldat works, all weapons are great in a certain situation, just some more than others.

__SnoOpy__
February 5, 2005, 12:08 am
Too much kids yawking rather than read the posts carefully, pointless to reply. :)

Back to the real main topic, "Psycological Warfare".

In fact, we are using it everyday when we call certain players "noob", "rook" et cetera. But a single word "noob" is very weak, and simply gets you into a laughable situation. To put down a player without any actual combat, you must make sense.

There are other ways to put down a player as well. As I mentioned, everytime you kills him, type "noob". ( very efficient after 2-3 kills ).

Of course I'm not encouraging you all to be [IMAGE]heads. Only flame people when they attempt to flame you.

"Psycological Warefare" is also a great way to test the maturity of the victim player. If players fail to understand himself, and somehow think he is good, this is a great tactic to be considered.

Hitman:

Language.

Hitman
February 5, 2005, 12:50 am
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the first post was 'What the [IMAGE] is the point of this thread?'

Snoopy, shut the [IMAGE] up.

LazehBoi
February 5, 2005, 1:05 am
So uhm... Would you mind telling me how spray is lame and chat killing isn't?

Morik
February 5, 2005, 1:08 am
this thread needs to be locked, encouraging name calling in soldat should not be allowed.

Also, snoopy, reading this thread might do you good http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=10487

Hitman131
February 6, 2005, 4:22 am
Think of it this way. The person you just called a noob is obviously raping you with their gun of choice or it wouldnt bother you. So your being owned by a noob. What doea that make you?

Deleted User
February 14, 2005, 11:46 am
okay....WTF IS THE POINT OF THIS?! "psycological warfare?" i don't talk in the game unless i'm dead or with the occasional bot call 'medic!' the only answer for me if someone calls me a n00b is i try to fill them with lead/steel aren't we ment to be PLAYING fairly not cheating by playing with people's minds?! you are INHUMAN my fav weapon is a barret i suck at any weapon ecept for the slow-reloading weapons "omfg u r a n00b" so what if i am? i don't care i'm having FUN

Deleted User
February 14, 2005, 12:26 pm
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! that strategy is ********!!!! calling other n00bs for nothing!!! that unfair and very stupid...AND OLY N00B WEAPON IN THIS GAME IS BARRET!

FliesLikeABrick
February 14, 2005, 12:31 pm
1) your sig is f\n huge bahmutti

2) this thread is garbage. This is no better than people going around whining at eachother rather than playing. See my thread here

Deleted User
February 14, 2005, 1:51 pm