( search forums )
Improving Mod Support
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
January 22, 2005, 5:52 pm
First of all, those of you who havn't, visit my other thread in the 1337 Mods section, or take this link to get there.

Now, what I am suggesting is an improvement to the way that Soldat handles the files it uses for the gosteks and weapons. The current system, where two images are required for one weapon, is somewhat tedious and ineffecient, albeit simple. There is also the limitation of the fact that your soldier can only carry his weapon at one point (the top of the image) and thus, cannot mid-carry an object.

I suggest that Soldat use a different method for storing and displaying files. This would include a great deal of changes and it would still make old mods compatible, so you needn't worry.

Basically, Soldat would use one image for each weapon, rather than two. So instead of knife and knife2, you would just have one bitmap to edit and store on your PC. Soldat should be able to automatically flip the image itself, which is simply a more effecient and superior method. However, for those of you who want your weapon to look different from the left and the right, Soldat could still load both of those images. If there was a knife and a knife2, Soldat would load them subsequently as it does now, and current mods would still work without a problem.

I also suggest a sort of "handle pixel". In much the same way that Soldat uses the common green color as a transparency effect, I believe there should be a color one can use to position the weapon on the Soldat. This pixel would be lined up with the Soldat's primary hand and thusly larger weapons and weapons that extend beyond the player could be created without any serious problem or issue. This "handle pixel" would either be transparent as well, or a darker color. It wouldn't matter much either way is it would be beneath the Soldat's hand.

What are your thoughts?

Rambo_6
January 22, 2005, 8:00 pm
I ranted about this kind of stuff, my thread is most likely on page two now... :p

But yes, this is a good idea.

papasurf31
January 22, 2005, 9:10 pm
Instead of having a pixel that represent where the gun should be held, There should simply be a file taht tells where it should be held, like a .POA file or something. I love the ideas though. Good thinking.

DeMonIc
January 23, 2005, 9:11 am
I totally agree with you on this one.This would only improve Soldat.

KeFear
January 23, 2005, 10:06 am
I like your idea. I look at your mod, and all i can say is.. LOL :D The "handle pixel" is a must i think. And the two images are not always needed, so this should be implemented.

Unlucky 13
January 23, 2005, 10:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31There should simply be a file taht tells where it should be held, like a .POA file or something.

Much like the way the registered interfaces are positioned? That would be good, but how would we edit it (uh-oh Michal, new editor!)?

I totally agree, and the colour? The inverted green, or fuschia would be good (not used much in modding), but what if more than one pixel was drawn? A shaky weapon while firing, now THAT would be good, even if it has no effect on gameplay.

Magniitude
January 24, 2005, 10:51 pm
The handle pixel idea is genius. It would be a lot easier to make mods without constantly checking in-game to make sure it is positioned right.

Liquid Metal
January 25, 2005, 3:17 am
I like it. That way mods would have less bugs and the way your soldier holds the weapon would be more accurate.